jenday conure vs. sun conure - noise level and temperament.

Xeladore

Mar 12, 2022
While I realise these things vary dramatically depending on the individual bird - I was wondering if jenday conures tend to be any quieter on average than sun conures (either in terms of frequency or volume.) Also curious if there's much difference in their temperament. Thanks in advance :)

D

Deleted member 42416

Hi Xela!

Well, I can only speak for the suns…and they do have a very loud shriek. This is my 7 to 7:30 AM wake up call. Angelo, the matriarch, also screeches for any large bird that flies outside the window (frequent occurrence in a coastal area). They also make the sweetest little honks and mutterings too. I do not think they would work well in an apartment/condo setting, or with people who have sensitive hearing.

As for temperament, they are very loving. Angelo won’t allow scritchies but will give kisses. Zazu loooves kisses and will allow scritchies occasionally. They both like to sit with me and do hair and ear snuggles. They follow me around the house perched on head & shoulders. They are curious about anything I’m doing and want to investigate or assist (even tooth brushing, makeup application, etc). My juveniles are all about scritchies and cuddles.

Jendays are so genetically similar that they can easily breed with suns. Not sure if their noise level would be different.

Now my green cheek conure has a HUGE personality (he bosses the suns around), is the most cuddly and affectionate of the adults, and his loudest call isn’t even as loud as a budgie screech. He also follows me around and is always demanding kisses and head scritchies.

Best wishes on starting your birby journey. Hopefully, someone with a jenday will also comment!

Jenday owner nick

Mar 27, 2022
Parrots
Jenday conures, parrotlets, mountain parakeets
I have 2 jendays I feel like the sun's are very slightly higher pitched while the jendays are louder and still pretty high pitched mine go off whenever I come home and they can hear me they do calm down but it is very annoying I strongly suggest Samsung pro earbuds with the noise cancelling lol you can still hear them but there screams don't feel like there piercing your eardrums haha

Most Reactions

Latest posts