Kakariki help needed please

TamRobbo

Jan 11, 2012
So I had 1 kakarike to begin with a beautiful boy I named winston. I decided I wanted a mate so the following month. I got another named (her) Nala. Turns out they were wrong and Nala is infact male. The problem I have is lately Winston has been bullying Nala to the point Nala hardly made any noise and has definitely lost some weight. I have now seperated but want to know if I can ever put them back together again. Poor Nala is so sweet and I don't want her getting poorly. Winston is missing Nala and I have no idea what to do 😢

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Despite your very best intentions, no guarantee two or more birds will coexist in same cage. Assuming Winston and Nala verified males, they may never become friendly together. But all is not lost, you may try socializing them on neutral territory such as playstand. If they are hand tame, placing them on your shoulder or handling together for brief periods may enhance their bond - just don't encourage one to bond closer to you than the other! If successful, reattempt placing them together for short, increasingly longer periods together in cage.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
It is often difficult for parrots to share a cage. But as stated they can do very well out together, while you are home to supervise.
With plenty if perches abd areas to move to.
I have 3 species that do well as a flock out of cages, tho some don't like to be real close to each other, but tolerate. I have to set out several baths because if one takes a bath they all want to take a bath :)

Most Reactions