Kakariki says Hi Parrot Forums!

yellowKAKARIKI

Jan 24, 2020
Port Burwell, Ontario, Canada
Parrots
male Kakariki, born 2014.
hello all. my name is Andrew and I have a 6year old male Kakariki.

I was working at someones home almost 4 yrs ago and was captivated by this beautiful yellow bird. You could see he was a pretty smart cookie, then my co-worker noticed that the bird was listed on Craigslist... I talked to the owners, he was 1 of 3 they got from a breeder for stimulation for their special needs child. the other two Kakariki's died, and then they were left with this very quiet bird that they lost interest in. They decided to get rid of him for an African Grey... I couldn't leave the poor guy, so the next day I went back and got him.

Yes he is very quiet, but oh so smart, he doesn't miss a thing. I didn't try and introduce another bird as I have had poor luck with that in the past with other birds and because of his history with his two dead cage mates. We have build up a good relationship, his cage is open often and he come and goes as he pleases. Everything you hear about KaKariki's is true, they don't like getting touched! he will jump on my hand and he will run up and down my arm. he gives me kisses on my nose, if you give him a favorite food you get a thank you chirp. he loves running loops around his cage, and his flying is very impressive around the house.
There is a screened in porch on the house and he loves hanging out in there during the summer months, and on a warm summer afternoon the whole street here's his chirps (which is so much fun as he is generally pretty quiet).

In the hands of a true bird whisper I could imagine Kakariki's doing some pretty amazing stuff. they are truly a lot of commitment for a small bird, but the rewards? pretty big!

Thanks for letting me share about my little yellow friend, cheers all!

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Welcome to the forum!

Jim

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to you and Andrew! Thanks for rescuing him from the fate of neglect, enjoy your new buddy!!

LucyBird

Jan 20, 2020
New Jersey
Parrots
Yellow shouldered amazon
What a beautiful bird! The red looks so bright against the yellow. You sound like you saved this birds life, what a wonderful thing to do!

Most Reactions

Latest posts