Keeping things normal amid SIP orders

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
So I thought we could all help each other out with ideas for how to keep a sense of 'normalcy' with our fids during 'shelter in place' or 'stay at home' orders.

My reasoning for this is simple. Our fids are used to routine and when things have a sudden or drastic change, we adapt much quicker than they do. I've worked VERY hard to get things where they are at with Skittles training and I don't want to risk upending it.

I'm sure he'll adapt and be fine since I am being mindful of the situation. For example, Skittles is used to me taking a short nap in the bedroom in the early afternoon, but lately I haven't been. I found this out because around my nap time, he flies into his sleep cage. It took me a few days to realize that. lol. He's also used to me going out for a few hours in the late afternoon and around 4p he goes into his day cage and 'waits'.

I don't want to stress him out any because that in turn will stress me out further. So what I do is, if I don't want to nap when its nap time, I just follow him into the bedroom and lay in bed for a bit and play on my tablet. Then I get up after a short period and resume the day. Same goes for late afternoon. But what I do is, I put my jacket on and go check the mail. I stay outside for a few minutes to get some fresh air and then I come back in. This has REALLY helped keep things normal for him.

After all, hes VERY smart and good at keeping time. Just about every night when 7p rolls around, he'll start screeching and I'll go into the bedroom and he'll follow me. I change his water & food in the sleep cage and he climbs right in.

Keeping things 'normal' for him is one less thing I need to worry about. So what steps are all of you taking?

PS, theres a video online (you've all probably seen it) of a cat showing displeasure that his/her owners are suddenly home all day.

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
So very correct, they love consistency and what you are doing will help, as at some point, things will begin to return to something like what was, but with differences.

We also, have kept some kind of normal route to our life, just the length of time have shortened. It is also helps us not become stir-crazy.

Gotta love our feather members to keep us on a normal path...

Last edited:

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Keep routine?

Please, we’ve blown it up, and thank god we did. Parker’s full on hormones right now, and generally speaking very disobedient with me. so while I’ve been working from home Parker’s spending his time with me (vs my recently laid off partner) in a new part of the house he doesn’t experience too often, and instead of 9am-11pm schedule he’s on 9:30-7 schedule.

It’s actually helping with a few problems lately.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I have been working from home since last week. I have been doing that downstairs in the basement/studio to stay out of Geri's hair. The only big change for Salty is that I have been opening his cage up and changing water and giving him breakfast, like on weekends. He seems to be taking having me around more every day OK. I'm trying not to upset their routine too much.

OP
Skittys_Daddy

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
I think I just have an overly-opinionated sunnie. As lovey-dovey and affectionate as he is, he's also incredibly bossy and very set in his ways. When something is or isn't done that is not the normal routine he will have ZERO problem expressing his displeasure. Living in an apartment building (especially with a cranky neighbor) I have to keep that in mind and often times have to rearrange things accordingly.

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Albie - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure - Hatch date 14 Dec 2019 - Gotcha date - 4 March 2020
Well, we've just been put on lock down so I'm curious to see how albie takes it.

Most Reactions