Kind of botched it

OrenH

May 11, 2013
Hello everyone,

Roughly a year ago I brought a hand-fed Green Cheek Conure after doing some research... I understood that they were relatively quiet parrots and were visually appealing, not big... I thought it was a good choice.

At any rate... when we bought him, the seller clipped his wings before I could even get a word out... so... for the first few months he was flightless and it was reasonably manageable.... however, since I did not want the parrot to feel "handicapped" I allowed the feathers to grow and he started flying around with ease.

Ever since then, he became very needy... he won't play on the balcony of his cage... he flies over to us and is in -constant- need of attention. He tends to bite, and he ruined quite a few things with his beak... and what ended up causing us to decide to give up- was that he was not quiet at all. The moment we would leave the room, he would start screaming like a maniac.

We did find a good solution for him... we're giving him over to an elderly lady who is very experienced with parrots. She will also dedicate -tons- of time for him and so I do believe that this attention along with her experience will ensure a happy life for both.

What I am wondering now though is... having failed with green cheek conure, do I have any business considering other parrots? Or should I give up altogether?

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Welcome to the forum.....

Sorry to hear that you're giving up on your little friend.....

Just from the information you've provided, it doesn't sound like you set any boundaries/limitations for your green cheek...and while a green cheek is normally a good choice, both for attitude and relative quietness, parrots don't hatch out as well behaved little birdies, just like human children, they need guidance and training.....

There is a plethora of information on the internet about training for this, that and the other thing, and there are any number of good video clips, on youtube, about various trainings you might want to use with your bird.....

Any parrot can and will re-design library collections, homework, Queen Anne furniture, as well as your favorite suits/dresses and other clothing.....they all visualize themselves as budding Vera Wangs.....

I doubt there is a member here that has not made some type of error in judgement during their tenure with their feathered friends, so no, I wouldn't say you should give up, but I would suggest you do some more reading...attitudes & behavior especially, on the species you might be interested in.....and.....if you enjoyed the green cheek, I might be inclined to try another one.....larger birds might not be a good idea until you've been more successful with a smaller parrot.....

Good luck.....

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Welcome to the forum, OrenH. :)

Weco said it quite well. We've all made mistakes, but as long as you learn from them you move forward.

I wouldn't say stay away from birds. ALL parrots can scream, ALL parrots can be quite destructive, and ALL parrots require a good amount of attention.

It's important teaching a parrot how to play independently by providing various toys and foraging opportunities. Trick training is another way to occupy your parrots' clever brain.

There are so many training methods out there, try and find one that appeals to you and give it a try (if you decide to take the plunge again). :)

Janedeaux

Mar 10, 2012
Mississippi
Parrots
Sunday/gold capped hybrid conures: mystic and gypsy
Sun: Paisley
You could consider something other than a parrot however. There's so many types you'd be amazed at what's out there that are still friendly loving birds with different temperaments and vocals.

OP
O

OrenH

May 11, 2013
Thank you everyone.
I admit, I kind of fascinated by Eclectuses but I reckon I might not handle it very well.
I am kind of experienced in keeping animals... mostly reptiles... I also have a dog... sadly, the Conure and my dog(a Japanese Spitz) couldn't really be friends since the Conure was so tiny... he might have gotten hurt.

You could consider something other than a parrot however. There's so many types you'd be amazed at what's out there that are still friendly loving birds with different temperaments and vocals.

Any suggestions maybe?
I wouldn't mind whistles and so forth... my Conure's screaming drove us insane...
I did try to set limits... I don't know why it -never- worked(I did follow youtube and articles)... maybe I got him from a keeper that didn't really manage the hand-feeding properly... it is possible... he didn't strike me as someone who took too much care with his birds.

Preferably a parrot that can enjoy playing with a dog maybe?
Not too needy, not a one-person bird, not a Lori(I won't be able to handle the poo)... preferably not one that tends to scream.

Any ideas?

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Preferably a parrot that can enjoy playing with a dog maybe?
Not too needy, not a one-person bird, not a Lori(I won't be able to handle the poo)... preferably not one that tends to scream.

Any ideas?

I now think you might be better off getting another dog rather than a parrot.

ALL parrots can scream, many do, some more than others.

NO parrot should be brought home in hopes it will be your dog's playmate, that's why I suggested another dog. :)

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
why not a rabbit?? mine could hold its own against most cats

getting a parrot is like adopting a child, so behavior problems are either from home before, or something you have created unwittingly, so its all very well blaming the breeder/keeper, but once there is a problem, it can take yrs to correct. i know this through personal experience.
so you cannot get a bird with expectations on how it will behave, just as you will never know what your child will grow up to be, it is the same with a bird

RescueMe

Mar 28, 2012
King George, VA
Parrots
"Sparky" the Blue and gold macaw, "Jax" Red fronted macaw, and "Little Bird" peach faced lovebird
A parrot is probably not the best fit for you. A green cheek is the kind of small parrot that if he didn't fit into the fold, another bird probably won't. Generally the larger the bird, the more destruction, mess, noise, and biting destruction you are in for. Good luck and I'm glad that you found a good home to place your green cheek into once you decided that it wasnt going to work out.

OP
O

OrenH

May 11, 2013
I figured pretty much that.
I did consider a parakeet for a bit but all in all, I am not keen on making excuses and putting the entire blame on the breeder.

Another dog is already "in the works", so to speak- I did not mean to bring a parrot in order to provide my dog company... simply that I saw it happen on occasion and I thought it was kind of neat.

As for comparing parrots to children... there are a few key differences... all in all, it is entirely possible that birds are simply not for me.

Peeker

Feb 10, 2013
Parrots
Jax-Eclectus
Tina-Eclectus
Ruby-Eclectus
I love reading the responses and enjoy that this is such a supportive community. IF you decided to try a bird again, I know you couldn't get better support than with these people.

That being said, it's my opinion that a parrot probably isn't going to be the right fit for you. Not only can they scream, makes messes and bite, but IMO most do. The biting far less often if we have forged a good relationship but it still can happen now and again.

We love them and for the joys of parrot ownership we accept these things.

When you get a baby parrot, they are sweet as all babies are, but all creatures grow up and as they mature they can become a real challenge.

There are those that would happily take your year old greencheek and not feel anything was amiss with him, or spend the time over the next months to years to work any problem behaviors out. I think that is the kind of commitment you need to have to be a parrot owner. It's not a good choice for everyone.

*Sometimes I think it's only a good choice for the truly crazy people. :54:

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
In your situation, I would have recommended on teaching the conure independent play, how to forage, and how to station/stay put in an area and to be kept busy rather than rehome the bird...

xreinx

May 24, 2011
Alaska
Parrots
-no parrots yet-
I do have two cats -Riply & Nano bites-
four snakes- china, dip & stick, and Grand Chahee-
I think its all on the temperment of the bird AND what you want...

cherry, my aunts bird was a natural reared lovebird, she could have gone all day without you touching her, and my friends two cockatiels are night and day, one has to be in her arms all day, the other is fine on the cage and could care less if anyone played with her.

Do you want a baby? or do you want a teenager? Id find a breeder then wait until the birds are alittle older, where the Attitude is starting to come out and spend a few weeks letting them get to know you then pick based on what your needs are and what one matches the personality you want.

To me, that bird sounded like a dream, Id have loved to have a bird in my arms all day, my budgies hated me.. Id go to open the door to their cage and they would FLY away from me, screaming. it took me months to get them to sit on my finger... even then if given have a chance they would fly back to their cage and spend hours entertaining themselfs.

Blue

Aug 16, 2012
portland, or
Parrots
Odin - CAG
Salty- Hahn's Macaw
Greenie - Eclectus
Lexi- Eclectus
As for comparing parrots to children... there are a few key differences... all in all, it is entirely possible that birds are simply not for me.

the only real difference is parrots stay 2yr olds for 50+ year and the kids grow up... and I say this as someone with a 2 year old and 4 parrots lol

PicklesParrot

Feb 25, 2013
Florida
Parrots
Male SI Eclectus
I have an eclectus and I have read many places (before I got him I researched) that they are generally a quieter bird. Maybe its just my bird but quiet is the one thing he is not. He has a brain piercing screech that will rattle you to the bone. He needs a ton of attention and requires a fresh fruit and veggie diet. I'd compare him to a 2-3 year old. Always chatting, screams when he is excited, scared, wants something, hungry, ect. and needs his mommy. he gets louder when im on the phone, follows me everywhere, bites strangers, and has to chew and destroy anything he can get his beak on. It was not at all what I expected from the research I did but I wouldn't change it for the world. He is my baby boy, my heart, my son. And sometimes he drives me nuts, but I still love him none the less. In my personal opinion, if you aren't willing to take on the worst, don't take on a bird period. You never know what you're going to get. Research can say this is a quiet bird, this is a simple bird, this is an easy bird. But, you never know what you're going to get until you bring the bird home. I have found after having a few birds in my life that they are ALL different. No matter what the general consensus is. Even if you hand raise a baby. They go through puberty, their personalities change, they have mood swings. It's just a part of life for them. In my opinion, dogs (which I have too) are so much easier to handle. They are bred to love you, to follow you. They are pack animals and you are their pack leader. With birds, there is no leader, you are a flock, you are all equal. You must earn their trust, their love, and their respect. I work for this every day. With love, patience, and LOTS of treats and good food. At any moment I can move too fast or scratch too hard and get a bite and I've lost all the trust from him and work I've done and have to start over. This is the reality of being a bird owner. And I know because I've learned it the hard way. I hope this helps. Like I mentioned before... In my personal opinion, if you aren't prepared to deal with the worst, a bird probably is not for you. You never know what you're going to get. I hope I wasn't too harsh. Im just trying to be realistic and give you the nitty gritty. I wish you the best of luck!!! I truly do!!

OP
O

OrenH

May 11, 2013
I'm not insulted by the suggestion that a bird might simply be not for me... it is quite likely even.
I try to be responsible here... I keep over 30 animals... mostly reptiles, and a dog... I am very aware of the responsibility it requires to own an animal and since I consider my first attempt a personal failure, I'm not rushing towards another "adventure" since it is the animal who is paying the price.

Thankfully, I must have done a decent job by Shrek, the Green Cheek Conure since he is extremely friendly and happy in his new home... I get updates all the time... he is trusting and plays with everyone... the transition didn't rattle him what-so-ever apparently.

I admit, I considered a Cockatiel or a budgie... but... looking critically at how I fared, I think that I'm just not cut out for it presently.

Wdlodge

May 13, 2013
Media
San Diego
Parrots
Kiwi -Pacific Parrotlet, Rio - Senegal. Both hatched 2/2013
Hello everyone,

Roughly a year ago I brought a hand-fed Green Cheek Conure after doing some research... I understood that they were relatively quiet parrots and were visually appealing, not big... I thought it was a good choice.

At any rate... when we bought him, the seller clipped his wings before I could even get a word out... so... for the first few months he was flightless and it was reasonably manageable.... however, since I did not want the parrot to feel "handicapped" I allowed the feathers to grow and he started flying around with ease.

Ever since then, he became very needy... he won't play on the balcony of his cage... he flies over to us and is in -constant- need of attention. He tends to bite, and he ruined quite a few things with his beak... and what ended up causing us to decide to give up- was that he was not quiet at all. The moment we would leave the room, he would start screaming like a maniac.

We did find a good solution for him... we're giving him over to an elderly lady who is very experienced with parrots. She will also dedicate -tons- of time for him and so I do believe that this attention along with her experience will ensure a happy life for both.

What I am wondering now though is... having failed with green cheek conure, do I have any business considering other parrots? Or should I give up altogether?

Sorry about your experience, but I wouldn't give up. I love tiels, but cant handle their incessant calls. Sadly I had to re home mine, that was along time ago and it all worked out. You might want to try a female Parrotlet. They are not very loud, males tend to be louder than the females. They "can" be a handful, and at about 4 months they turn in to lil vultures for a bit. But if you persevere, wait it out while working on target training and bonding, after those moments of insanity they are very sweet lil creatures. Google them, as with any bird you should really do your homework. My female P'let is a wonderful lil bird. Hope whatever you do it all works out for the best. See my photo below. They come in many different colors, oh and they are a true parrot related to the amazon.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 220
Last edited:

chippy

Feb 16, 2013
Parrots
2 Indian Ringnecks, Tiki (DH's) and Pippin (mine), 1 lovebird, Gemma (DD's) and 1 in birdy Heaven... RIP, Wilbur.
It sounds like your conure was one who needed lots of lovin' and attention...some people are cool with that, others don't care for it. My Wilbur...RIP... (also a GCC) was, in my son's words, "a Mama's boy!"... he was actually a pretty quiet little guy, but NEEDED to be with me ALL the time, which I loved because I felt the same way about him :)

My daughters lovebird is NOISY, NOISY, NOISY...chirping and squawking ALL the time. We also have our two Indian Ringnecks...Tiki can and does get VERY loud, but Pippin is actually fairly quiet. When he does make noise, it is loud, but he doesn't make noise very often. They both like attention, but are not as snuggly as Wilbur was.

I guess my point is, there are NO guarantees about noise level or neediness... so I would take time, do lots of research (this is a good place to come, and no one here will ever try to convince someone they should be a bird person) and be really sure that you really want another bird.

I applaud you for thinking about it it so seriously... not everyone is a bird person, just like not everyone is a cat person or a dog person. Personally, you couldn't PAY me to have reptiles...I LIKE them, but have no desire to share my home or my life with them... ;)

Most Reactions