Large mass of large blood feathers on shoulders?

imouse1

Oct 10, 2021
Media
NM
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure: Sir H. H. Gregg Q. T. Birb, III
So, I can't get a picture of it because The Sir is not into it, but I've noticed he's been chewing at his "shoulders" recently (that bit at the first wing fold).

He has a MASSIVE number of blood feathers, more on one side than the other.

He's recently been letting me scratch and rub his neck area (I guess he's decided he's suffered in silence long enough with the pin feathers). I have this (previously completely unused) beard brush from one of my roommates that has a nylon part on one side, and plastic teeth on the other side, with a pointed handle. He's a fan.

I brushed his shoulders earlier today while he was sleeping and there are just...so many blood feathers. I'd say easily 10 on one side and 13 or 14 on the other. And they're the big ones based on the size of the tail feather that recently grew in.

Now, he hasn't melted. He's lost very few feathers in total, mostly little undercoat ones from when he gets the big mad and flaps trying to steal one of my digits. He also lost one tail feather but I'm not sure why it came out, only that it only took about a week to be replaced.

Is this normal? He's just over 5 months old now, about 5 months and 1 week.

Edit: I should mention he has a lot of pin and blood feathers on his neck and head, as well. Again, no molting, just a ton of growth in the last week.

Last edited:

Miles

Dec 16, 2021
Media
Virginia, USA
Parrots
Miles, Yellow-sided Green Cheek Conure
I have no answer for you...sorry...but I do have a question on this topic. What's the difference between pin feathers and blood feathers?

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I think they do a big molt at this age ...I seem to remember any of the smaller species birds I got young had a big molt st thst age..

Pictures would definitely help even if from a far

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
I have no answer for you...sorry...but I do have a question on this topic. What's the difference between pin feathers and blood feathers?
They're basically the same thing, except blood feathers are the stage of pin feathers where there's blood in the forming feather.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
This thread is actually 6 months old and the user has been inactive since January 1st..

Most Reactions

Latest posts