LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
I think Baby is a boy, but he calls her a girl.

I just helped him out and cleaned her cage, and tomorrow we will go to the pet store as she needs some new perches and toys and better food.

I'd like to have her with me now....he's kinda lost interest in her....but not ready to give her up yet.

But pretty sure one day she will be with me ...as his health is poor :(

Tho I'm not sure how quakers and tiels get along. But I'd make it work!

She/he is a cutie full of personality!

You can tell male from female cockatiels from the colouring on the underside of the tail feathers. Females will always have a rippled/stippled effect in the colour, whereas with males it will be one solid colour.

Tiels in general are a bit more reserved than your average quaker, but if anyone can make that combination work it'd be you, Aunty Laura! :)

Last edited:
OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
You can tell male from female cockatiels from the colouring on the underside of the tail feathers. Females will always have a rippled/stippled effect in the colour, whereas with males it will be one solid colour.

Tiels in general are a bit more reserved than your average quaker, but if anyone can make that combination work it'd be you, Aunty Laura! :)
Even in this color mutation?
No bars under tail.
Sings and talks.
I feel baby is a boy. But he is very invested in Baby being a girl so I will never say.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
No bars under tail.
Sings and talks.
I feel baby is a boy. But he is very invested in Baby being a girl so I will never say.
Yep, with all colours. Even lutinos like my Twinkle who I had years ago, although you had to hold her tail feathers up to the sunlight to be able to see the stippling - it was very faint but it was still there. Actually that's pretty funny about your neighbour being convinced it's a girl. I was SO convinced Fang was a girl when he was a baby, but we took him to the vet for his first wellness check and the vet took one look and said "nice little rooster you've got there!" Fang hadn't even moulted into adult plumage yet, he could tell just from the way he behaved! Well he didn't actually say "rooster", he used that other avicultural term for a boy bird, but you get my drift!

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
No bars under tail.
Sings and talks.
Yeah boys usually sing and talk(although females can sometimes do it, Pipp can't, only "Wee wee!"), they also bonk their beaks against stuff(territorial behavior), and my favourite, HEART WINGSSS!
1658590789759.png

Credit: Eben the cockatiel/light as a feather, tumblr

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Never tire of veggies pictures!
20220724_104103.jpg
20220724_104105.jpg
Especially Penny who was such a seed addicts!
But I gave toco shell as a treat and it was the biggest hit ever! I just keep celebrating my happy flock , I love them so much!!!
20220723_190219_1.jpg
20220723_190711.jpg
Tadah
Enjoyed some in season cherry
20220724_081041.jpg
Can't forget the budgies! I swear Clear was eating cucumber, carrots, romaine, green beans and even nibble cherry
20220724_080132.jpg
Cloudy with romaine
20220724_081027.jpg

Last edited:

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Yum yum yum! I don’t have any vegetables from my garden yet but we want to have a veggie feast too!

In the second photo the two birds kind of look like they’re line-dancing. Syncopated stepping. Cute.

Last edited:

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Never tire of veggies pictures!
View attachment 42505
View attachment 42506
Especially Penny who was such a seed addicts!
But I gave toco shell as a treat and it was the biggest hit ever! I just keep celebrating my happy flock , I love them so much!!!
View attachment 42507
View attachment 42508
Tadah
Enjoyed some in season cherry
View attachment 42509
Can't forget the budgies! I swear Clear was eating cucumber, carrots, romaine, green beans and even nibble cherry
View attachment 42510
Cloudy with romaine
View attachment 42511
No better catering to be had anywhere in the world than at Aunty Laura's Number 1 Restaurant. Loving the pics too!!!

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I bought some new pellets that no one was eating..
So I put them in bowl sat in my chair and pretend I was eating.
I'm now handing them out like candy !
Today I'm winning!
20220726_164800.jpg20220726_164647.jpg
20220726_165122.jpg20220726_164757.jpg

Last edited:

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I love all these photos. Unfortunately I just realized what character Quaker parakeets seem to resemble in shape: Jabba the Hut.

Not flattering but true. I guess that makes your conure Princess Leia and the budgies of course r2d2.

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
While my non fuzzy sleep tents don't cause a Hormonal response, nor are they treated like nests bY mine..

But finding a hide hole under the couch cushions caused all kinds of drama!@

Phoebe claimed it and started all kinds off sexy talk..ever other burd in the house wanted in!!

Its now a daily issue trying to keep them off the couch..and I've had to remove all pillows and cushions for now..but they keep searching...

Son enough they'll get i to something else and forget about this I hope!

But she was cute20220729_162212~2.jpg
20220729_162225.jpg

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
While my non fuzzy sleep tents don't cause a Hormonal response, nor are they treated like nests bY mine..

But finding a hide hole under the couch cushions caused all kinds of drama!@

Phoebe claimed it and started all kinds off sexy talk..ever other burd in the house wanted in!!

Its now a daily issue trying to keep them off the couch..and I've had to remove all pillows and cushions for now..but they keep searching...

Son enough they'll get i to something else and forget about this I hope!

But she was cuteView attachment 42894
View attachment 42895
Oooooh Aunty Laura they are AWFULLY cute when they find those little nooks and crannies to get all nesty in, aren't they?! I had all sorts of trouble trying to keep my Lilly on the straight and narrow and had to strip the cushions off the couch every day too, and hide my handbags, and put a cushion on the top of my upwards-facing lampshade during the day otherwise she would have made a nest in there as well - I don't envy you the task of trying to distract all of your girls at once!

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Phoebe is awfully cute. I won’t be showing her pic to Willow, or Phoebe might be getting torrid chewed and footyprinted postcards from him. Luckily none of us can read “bird” but still…she’d be shocked.

Willow would have to desert his windchime hanging toy for Phoebe, anyhow.

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
@Rozalka this may look familiar 😆!
Cloudy singing and trying to woo Penny
20220803_105258.jpg
He was a little annoying her today tho
20220803_105247.jpg
So I distracted him with yummy breakfast of quinoa, herbs, mango, soaked cooked black beans and bunch if veg
He looks suitability impressed! Love this cutie
20220803_105830.jpg
Dug right in
20220803_105826.jpg

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
The thing i learned today!
When you hold a screaming quakers beak shut they can still scream just as loud!!! ;)

I have an incredible trusting relationship with Phoebe. So while she was sitting on the back of my chair right at my ear screaming, I reached over and shut her beak, and held shut .
I'm laughing because she basically said this changes nothing! And continued to ear spitting scream . ;)
So I learned something! Gave her a kiss and moved her.

Why the screaming you ask? She was just enjoying her ability to make noise

Most Reactions

Latest posts