Laura's Flock Thread

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
The thing i learned today!
When you hold a screaming quakers beak shut they can still scream just as loud!!! ;)

I have an incredible trusting relationship with Phoebe. So while she was sitting on the back of my chair right at my ear screaming, I reached over and shut her beak, and held shut .
I'm laughing because she basically said this changes nothing! And continued to ear spitting scream . ;)
So I learned something! Gave her a kiss and moved her.

Why the screaming you ask? She was just enjoying her ability to make noise

Yes. Their screaming organ, the syrinx, is right at the junction of their bronchii. So holding the beak shut means nothing for screaming.

1659904235644.jpeg

I recall Lucy could talk with her beak full but it wasn’t as clear. I would assume that’s because the sounds of words are shaped by the tongue. So maybe they couldn’t talk as well with beak held shut?

My poor tolerant birds. They put up with so much!

Last edited:

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I made the wreath myself!!! Then my mom wanted one and now making one for a neighbor
Beautiful job on that wreathe, Laura! You are very talented:)

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Its not all veggies.
They got a splurge treat stick today. Attached to community perch above cages.

But these two stinkers hacked off chunks and flew to the perch next to my chair with them!!! Now raining mess!
20221001_172227.jpg

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Its not all veggies.
They got a splurge treat stick today. Attached to community perch above cages.

But these two stinkers hacked off chunks and flew to the perch next to my chair with them!!! Now raining mess!
View attachment 44675
They likely came over to share!! What sweethearts!!
With Parrots, sometimes, we are left to smile as screaming has limits as it only confirms to the neighbors what they had been thinking. Springtime in our neighborhood has our neighbors visiting our DYHA and comforting him as he yells at the Turkeys in the backyard. Life as a Nutty Parrot person.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Do you think your Amazon understands that the turkeys are “birds”? Or does he think they’re aliens or something ?
Julio see's them as intruders into his Kingdom and that they must be removed!!
It is a great question as he is well aware that large, flying birds are dangerous, but these walk-about, are simply intruders and are not welcomed. Interestingly he fully understands that the deer are just mindless wanderers and does not pay any attention to them.

We are Red-Tailed Hawk Central as five families train they young to complete high-speed inside turns in our backyard as they pull rapidly down the South face of the house and make a hard turn around to the East face. Our large open backyard has provided a soft landing for those that had not locked down that turn yet. The Huge Queen that truly owns the area is well know to Julio and he will move deep into the house when she is training her young.

So, short answer, he knows what is what and who he needs to be concerned about.

Ledagcc

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 24, 2022
Media
Albums
Parrots
Mabel-Yellow sided green cheek conure. Hatch-Day 5 of February.
They are so cute an lovely! They are amazing and beautiful! ❤️😍😘

OP
Laurasea

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
The couch moved away from the wall. Causing endless fascination and cavity seeking nest behavioral in Ta-dah. Actually cute as she is getting in there and talking up a storm
20221019_165141_1.jpg

Then peeping head up

Most Reactions

Latest posts