Leg Band Identification!

Zookcan

Nov 4, 2020
Northwestern PA, United States
Parrots
Pikachu (Pineapple GCC ♀)
I'm stupefied!

Out of sheer curiosity, I've recently begun to do some research in order to see if I could trace back my green cheek conure's information via her leg band. However, her code is nothing like what I've researched, and what is even more curious is that she is open-banded!

Pikachu's code reads A1121 across her open band. It is dark green, flat, and I'm presuming aluminum (it certainly isn't plastic!)

I also have her information on where she came from, as I work at the store that I purchased her from. She was shipped from Apet Inc. in Illinois to our store, and she came with a certificate that states that her apparent hatch date is March 30th, 2019.

It's possible that wherever she came from didn't have a care about the details of the band, but anyone have an idea as to what this might mean? I highly doubt she was imported if she came with a hatch certificate and a vet's approval sheet stating that she was disease free, unless her distributor decided to falsify facts.

Noahs_Birds

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 24, 2019
Toowoomba/Highfields, QLD, Australia
Parrots
Yellow Sided GCC's, Rosa Bourkes Parrots, Full Red Fronted Turqoisine Parrots, Quaker Parrots 'Scomo PM' 'Jenny PM's wife', PLUS: Rare Finches, Doves and Quail
Bird Leg band details are whatever takes the breeders fancy and are not registered like cattle or horses would be with ear tags etc. Basically its only just details the breeder uses to say that they're young they've bred and if they want to go into real detail they record the parents corresponding details. When I ring my birds I've bred I have a mixed bag of random rings and I just put them on and I only record the details of parent birds, I don't bother to ring young birds because the parents rings are the only details I need to know to produce unrelated pairs etc. ready for sale.

In reality, its pretty much impossible to track back leg band details unless someone went into great detail (which very rarely happens unless with endangered species etc.)

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Without a breeder code your best bet is to contact the store and see if they will disclose their breeders, but they probably won’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions