Legit breeders who ship...?

mgoudeau0118

Feb 14, 2021
Illinois
Parrots
Green cheek conure
Has anyone come across any actual legit bird breeders who ship that aren't a scam?..any helpful information would be great, & thank you! :white1:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I am not personally familiar with legit breeders who ship, though they exist. Hopefully other members can share advice, particularly if you share specific species of interest.

One bit of advice with websites - if you see an offer to sell fertile eggs, run from the scam! No legit breeder sells such fantasies but will eagerly steal your money!

Last edited:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Why not find a local parrot sanctuary and adopt an older, more stable adult. Cockatoos are the number 1 surrendered parrot, there are always many in such places.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Fully agree with my good friend above! Rescue an Adult! Especially one that chooses you!

FYI: There are true difficulties in shipping Parrots and what a questionable place to start a relationship?

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
If you are like me and either too far away to rescue or don't fit their criteria (you usually need bird experience to adopt a bird or some don't allow adoptions if you have pets like cats, dogs, etc.) sometimes adoption just doesn't work out.

I recommend Birdbreeders.com , it's a database for a bunch of breeders around the US, I got one of my cockatiels from there from a breeder in Oklahoma who shipped him to me and we picked him up at the Minneapolis Delta Cargo shipment that came in, which he was on in an animal carrier. It went fine and I never even met the breeder, but talked on the phone quite a bit. I would recommend going through this website if you can't find many breeders in your area, and several are well educated about what it takes to ship a bird -- it can't be too cold, and of course you pay the shipping fees, which can range from $100-300.

Last edited:

Ira7

Banned
Banned
Feb 9, 2020
Coral Springs, FL
Parrots
YNA
You live in Illinois, a big city (I’m an idiot. Edit: STATE) in the good old U.S. of A. You’re not in Zimbabwe.

No reason to mail-order a bird, and a huge mistake to get any bird that you haven’t interacted with beforehand.

Last edited:

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
You live in Illinois, a big city (I’m an idiot. Edit: STATE) in the good old U.S. of A. You’re not in Zimbabwe.

No reason to mail-order a bird, and a huge mistake to get any bird that you haven’t interacted with beforehand.

I diasgre! I got my sweet baby Ember shipped to me after having never met him, and he is the best most well behaved hand fed baby I've ever had. He's the one in my member pic you see when I post!

My advice here is...don't knock it if you haven't tried it!

resiak

Aug 27, 2012
I got my Citron Crested Cockatoo from Sarah Brabbs at West Branch Aviary. She shipped from Louisiana to Massachusetts. She's a great breeder and I've been friends with her on Facebook ever since, nearly 10 years now. The Citron I got for her is an awesome bird also.

Has anyone come across any actual legit bird breeders who ship that aren't a scam?..any helpful information would be great, & thank you! :white1:

Last edited:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Shipping birds is really hard on the birds though- so even if someone will do it, its certainly not very good for them in terms of all of stress/unfamiliarity etc and then you are also risking getting a bird you never have met....

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I got my Citron Crested Cockatoo from Sarah Brabbs at West Branch Aviary. She shipped from Louisiana to Massachusetts. She's a great breeder and I've been friends with her on Facebook ever since, nearly 10 years now. The Citron I got for her is an awesome bird also.

Nice to read a success story! Word of mouth is best method of locating quality breeders. Shipping can be hazardous, thankfully most airlines embargo live animal shipments during extreme weather.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots

Nice to read a success story! Word of mouth is best method of locating quality breeders. Shipping can be hazardous, thankfully most airlines embargo live animal shipments during extreme weather.

I have shipped Noodles, like I said--- via most trusted airline for shipping birds etc. I wouldn't do it again. It's not just the weather, it's the insane stress it puts them through (coupled with the fact that something like 5 minutes in the rain can still be super hard on a stressed bird--- these guys aren't trained to handle parrots...BUT even in ideal conditions, this is the level of stress that could cause a bird to have a heart attack or stroke). Imagine how hard it is when you move with a bird you know...Now imagine losing your whole flock, traveling alone in a crazy, unfamiliar cargo hold, being jostled around for hours, only to end up in a totally new home with people the bird doesn't know [THESE ARE THE SAME ANIMALS WHO CAN LOSE IT OVER A NEW COUCH OR HAIRSTYLE...]...I don't think it's fair to the animal, and even with healthy birds, extreme stress of that nature makes them far more vulnerable to bacterial infections and viruses ( and the "health certificate" required by Delta and other airlines doesn't test for most things--- honestly, it's based on a physical exam and vet signature-- nothing more). That means a bird shipped with other birds is much more likely to pick up viral diseases in the event that one of the birdy passengers is an asymptomatic carrier (and that is more than 40% of the captive populous, for un-treatable/terminal illness). I also have known people who lost their birds (to death) as a result of shipping. In a healthy/non-stressed bird, such viral exposure COULD be fought off (potentially) BUT in these sorts of conditions, defenses are weakened. Boarding a bird poses significant disease risk--even at a vet...and that is far less stressful on the bird than something like this-- especially when going to a new home with people the bird has not ever met.

Like I said, I had do it once, but if getting a new bird, you would really be better off avoiding this, as they will already be under extreme stress having been taken from the people and other birds they know...I have known breeders who shipped and they seemed okay, but looking back, I would question them based solely on the fact that they were willing to ship--- A. that means they have no idea who they are sending their baby to...B. That means they are willing to risk the extreme stress/trauma and C. diseases from other parrots etc are serious and deadly (again, things like PBFD, PDD/ABV= deadly in symptomatic birds, but over 40% of the captive populous in the US is carrying these (presymptomatic, or asymptomatic)-- more when you combine the 2).

Bottom line: Breeding is a business, and even good breeders may find themselves compromising to make money. These people would make 1/10th of their income if they stopped shipping...but knowing the risk, it feels a bit like blood money. Again, I have shipped Noodles so please no one come down on me for being critical....You guys know how hard this would be for a human child (And ALL parrots are AT LEAST as smart as a 2-year-old, but many as smart as a 4-5 year-old), but on top of that, they are parrots!...Human kids adjust way more easily to change (unless on the spectrum, but even then, they handle it better because at least they can thermo-regulate etc)...Can you imagine finding a child who could never be told what was happening, having their care-taker drop them at the airport, ending up in a cargo hold alone (when never having flown--- possibly with other screaming, sick kids) sending them across the country to a totally new family who may or may not even understand kids....or ever had kids...) It's worse for parrots because, again, human kids are in far less unnatural environments even when out of their element...

Last edited:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
I really hope you have extensive cockatoo experience for whatever species this is....

I'm nervous because I didn't see that you posted this under cockatoos until just now (my other replies were general)....

I truly hope you are aware that even if you are an expert in other parrot species that cockatoos are still most rehomed (even among people who KNOW parrots ). They are unique and they are not something to plunge into. If you have never had a parrot *do not* get a cockatoo and if you have, you must get experience with them (adults particularly) BEFORE you adopt-- let alone ship...

Last edited:

Birdgirl24

Dec 2, 2021
North Dakota
Parrots
I have 1 budgie, He is a male both. I have been looking into getting an Eclectus Parrot tho.
I've had a terrifying experience with an online breeder who shipped both my birds came underweight and I couldent get them to drink water for atleast 48 hours it was scary I don't recommend getting a bird shipped I've seen people lose birds because of people who got there birds shipped honestly don't do it it's not worth it. drive a couple extra hundred miles it might cost more but in the long run it will save you from possible heartbreak and little birds surviving. Now I'm not saying getting a bird shipped is great but getting them shipped by air and air only in my opinion can be justified a little bit at all in my opinion because overall it's just stressful for the bird just always make sure the bird comes by air and not truck because my birds came by USPS and they almost died so just something to take really seriously.

Last edited:

Jobaby

Jul 4, 2022
New York
Parrots
Indian ringneck
Superb Parrot (Barraband Parakeet)
Yes, Florida Bird Breeders, owners name is James. I don't know what bird you are looking for. I video chatted with him, with baby birds. The is the best way I can tell you to not get scammed.

Jobaby

Jul 4, 2022
New York
Parrots
Indian ringneck
Superb Parrot (Barraband Parakeet)
Floridabirdbreeders.com You will have to look and see what they have. I know how you feel, I have found a ton of scammers.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Understanding that you are responding to an older Thread in which the OP has not responded to and sadly will not likely respond now!
FYI: An area that is thin on sources to buy Parrots locally will also be thin on Avian Medical Care as well!

Most Reactions

Latest posts