Let's talk cage quality

IndySE

May 5, 2016
Southern California
Parrots
Kermit, ā™€ GCC (Green Demon)
I'm looking to upgrade Kermit's (my GCC's) cage. It's about 4 years old, purchased for $100 off amazon, an A&E flight cage, advertised as wrought iron, and originally purchased to contain a budgie. I was never pleased with the construction of the cage. The bars seemed a bit thin to me, one of the bars is also disconnected (not in an area the parrot is active and in 3 years she hasn't touched it), and I'm discovering rust spots (currently on the underside of the grate where she can't get at it). The cage appears rickety overall, with some of the supports slightly bowed in spite of the fact that I occasionally tighten it. I also had to place 2 two-by-fours to make sure the cage didn't fall through ! I know some people refinish cages when they start to rust; however, I don't think this cage was ever of solid enough construction to really justify the effort.

The cage I had before was powder coated and lasted almost 10 years with a lot of budgies. Couldn't tell you the brand, besides it came from petco. But from this I'm assuming not all cage qualities are created equal...

I am looking into stainless steel cages since I know the quality is there. This cage is currently a strong contender and similar in size to her current cage, but the price tag is something I will have to save up for.

So my question is if Stainless Steel is worth it? Is there a mid-level quality I can get that might last me more around the 10 year mark? Advice on particualr cages you've used? :gcc::gcc:

Thanks all !

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Uuuuugghhhhh cage quality is HUGELY depressing in my part of the world! I recently replaced two powder coated cages which had lasted simply ages before needing to be updated and it was an exercise in futility trying to find anything remotely as good quality. We finally found something that we thought would fit the requirements only to find that within about 2 or 3 weeks (WEEKS mind you!!) my little purple crowned missy had found possibly the one flaw in the powder coating and had chewed a big chunk of it clean off!! Of course I hit the panic button and bought another 2 cages, stainless steel this time, because there was absolutely nothing else available that looked any sturdier than the one my lorikeet had just rendered useless!

The one youā€™ve pictured is pretty much identical to mine, which are manufactured by Featherland. Theyā€™re a cinch to assemble and I feel as though it will be a very long time indeed before theyā€™ll need replacing, if ever! I gave mine a soaping and a good rinse with a high pressure water blaster to get any residue from the manufacturing process off. My only gripe with them (apart from the extortionate price from the one and only supplier!) is that I canā€™t separate the cage from the stand so transporting them might be challenging.

I got a small one for my lorikeet and a medium for my cockatiel, who has since had a roommate move in (our budgie we got a little later) and the medium is roomy enough for those two. If I had my time over again Iā€™d have got a medium for the lorikeet too - sheā€™s only the size of a budgie but she is very high octane! Fortunately theyā€™re all out of their cages most of the day so we get by. But other than that I do love the stainless steel and Iā€™m glad I spent the extra cash on them.

Last edited:

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer Ć¢ā‚¬Å“ScreeĆ¢ā‚¬ļæ½ - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
Wow, thatā€™s quite the price tag! I havenā€™t heard of the brand, so canā€™t speak to the quality. I also havenā€™t had stainless steel, but have heard it is the best for cages. Are you set on going to stainless, or are you also considering a better-made powder coated?

Mine have HQ cages (they are not stainless) and Iā€™ve been really pleased with the quality - bars are thick and hold up well, construction is great, spacing is appropriate for small birds, no rust, chips, or issues with paint after 3 years. Mine are big flight cages and cost about the same as the stainless cage you linked.

OP
I

IndySE

May 5, 2016
Southern California
Parrots
Kermit, ā™€ GCC (Green Demon)
@LaManuka: Oooofff, I can imagine the horror of a big chunk of page coating in your birdie's mouth. Thank you for the recommendation of the brand, featherlands looks like they offer quite a few sizes in SS at about the same price as the one I found. Do you by chance have a link to the specific one(s) you purchased? Is the one I found about right for the price tag?

@Jen5200: Yes, it is quite a price tag oof. I'm not 100% sold on the SS, because while I think certain parrots might necessitate them (heavy chewers that insist on removing coatings from the bars, let's say), Kermit isn't TOO aggressive with her cage. She does like to chew and clang on the bars sometimes for the fun sound, but I haven't seen her remove a coating yet. I'd like to look other cage materials, as long as it's a better quality than the one I have now and reasonably spacious. I'd be very curious to know more about the cages you have :) Brand/link?

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer Ć¢ā‚¬Å“ScreeĆ¢ā‚¬ļæ½ - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
Mine definitely bang the bars in their cages, chew on them sometimes - but like you say...conures have limited chewing power :).

I have a couple of these https://www.birdscomfort.com/large-cage-for-small-birds.html and they are heavy duty (but also really big in size) I also have a smaller HQ that is probably 5-10 years old (roughly 32x32x48 with playtop) that is still in good shape - canā€™t find it online anywhere. They all have the heavier bars.

ParrotGenie

Jan 10, 2019
Indiana
Parrots
2 umbrella Cockatoos One male named Cooper and female named Baby 1 Little Corella male named Frankie and have 5 Cockatiels three named Male named Pepper, Fiesco for the female and female named Wylie.
Wow, thatā€™s quite the price tag! I havenā€™t heard of the brand, so canā€™t speak to the quality. I also havenā€™t had stainless steel, but have heard it is the best for cages. Are you set on going to stainless, or are you also considering a better-made powder coated?

Mine have HQ cages (they are not stainless) and Iā€™ve been really pleased with the quality - bars are thick and hold up well, construction is great, spacing is appropriate for small birds, no rust, chips, or issues with paint after 3 years. Mine are big flight cages and cost about the same as the stainless cage you linked.

I have the larger version of it and holding up good. Yep stainless steel cages can get quite up there in price. I paid over $1800 for mines, that not including the add on like side food trays and etc.Use to like Kings cages but had issues with power coating and then the grate that can be lifted easy. HQ cage is pretty good as well.

Last edited:

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Hi IndySE, the only link I have is to the supplier I bought my cages from in Australia. It should at least give you some idea as to the sizes available, but DO NOT be guided by the types of bird illustrated inside the cages! I would not put anything bigger than a budgie in the "small" cage - i think a little creative license has been used to show the sun conure in the smallest cage! I believe the actual manufacturer name is Caitec so that may help you find a supplier in your part of the world.

I've also been informed that some of the cheaper grades of stainless steel are prone to rust :mad:. I've only had mine since January 2019 and have not seen any rust spots as yet but I will be hopping mad if I do!!

Pet Shop Direct - Featherland Stainless Steel

Last edited:

ParrotGenie

Jan 10, 2019
Indiana
Parrots
2 umbrella Cockatoos One male named Cooper and female named Baby 1 Little Corella male named Frankie and have 5 Cockatiels three named Male named Pepper, Fiesco for the female and female named Wylie.
This is that stainless steel version of the featherland cage. It is now a about 10 to 11 months old and looks as if I pulled it out of the box. I haven't had any issues with it, no broken welds, no rust anything. Very easy to keep clean and etc. Plus food trays design on the outside is great is optional as you have to buy the parts at $49 bucks a piece, but haven't had Frankie throw his bowl out as he usually does and make a huge mess. I thinking about getting my Baby and Cooper my two U2's one now, but looking for a larger one. I can recommend it and manufacturer is good about replacement parts if needed. As when I first received it came with a damaged top half of roof and called them and ask if they could just sent the part over instead of having to go back and forth in sending the cage back and 2 days later part I needed came.

I neighbor even put my big U2 Cooper in it by mistake as she thought it be a good idea to keep them separate at night as Cooper shares a cage with my female U2 and switch them around and Cooper love it to the point when it night time and time to go back to cage he flies over to that cage instead of his own cage. Their cage is much bigger and more toys. I just wish they made one larger for two U2's. The king cage I bought for the U2's have a couple of broken welds and powercoating isn't holding up in certain spots grate issues, so looking for a new cage for them and thinking about a SS cage this time, but about 4k for size I want. The issue with the U2's is need one with thick bars. The bars seem thicker on the featherland cage then the king cage that suppose to be thicker?

T0MuqVR.jpg

26rtw9S.jpg

KIF8pW8.jpg

YK79tEc.jpg

ELkc3ql.jpg

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts