Lighting Information For Birds

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
Big Bird _ Blue & Gold Macaw
I've never kept up with exactly when. He is ending a molt now. I've had him a year and half now. Most of the time when I see postings here saying people's birds are molting . BB is also . SO I don't think the light affects that. Though I have been wrong before lol

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Thanks again!
And congratulations on a very successful beginning!!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Well this is all clear as mud. What we on this board would love from you PhD types is a light type ( brand and model would be best), fixture type, and distance from cage top that will be best for our loved companions.
Yes, Mark, natural sunlight in given quantities would be best, but some of us live in cold areas, where it's still not warm enough to take our birds out for 10 minutes, let alone 1/2 hour a day. Do this and we will all have the lights installed within a week. Right now I have a coiled fluorescent light claiming to be full spectrun, for reptiles, over salty cage, and it's on 12 hours a day, about 3 feet over his cage. So please, Dr. Photobioavianexert, some practical , real advice for us non technical folks. Please? With calcium on top? Or vitamin D on top?
At work when I need to calm a lent down , I will turn on the tech jargon, and start talking about coefficients of friction, tribology, molecular shear planes and areas of decarburization due to localized inert gas pockets.
It still leaves them not knowing what to do for their situation. Don't leave us like that , thanks.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
The full spectrum 4' tubes that can be purchased at most Big Box Stores in the Great White North are as good as any and likely better than the shorter units since the 4' tubes is where the sales volumes are. They function well with any 4' fixture. The product is designed for use in typical office building settings where they are commonly ceiling mounted with a nominal distance of eight to ten feet above floor level. The product was never designed to provide specific health benefits, but to provide a 'natural' light color. This was believed to be a benefit to office workers that are exposed to a non-natural light color during the day. The office workers are believed to provide a more productive work day when exposed to full spectrum light source. Also, in those offices where color selection is important, there is a reported edge to using full spectrum lighting.

There are questionable studies as to what health benefits, if any, are provided. The only study with limited merit targeted Humans that suffered (mild Depression) from the effects of minimum exposure to natural Sun light during Winter months in 'some' parts of the Great White North. From that study came the 3' distance, which was based on the available room in the test lab and not as a result of specific findings. The test was based, once again, around Humans and more specific to office workers, hence 8 - 10 hours per day. The findings: The test subjects 'felt better' when exposed to Full Spectrum Light. The same results can be obtained when the subjects are placed in a room (much like a Sun room) where as a result of a high number of large windows, the exposure to filtered Sun Light is near that of being outside for a like period of time.

NOTE: Full Spectrum Light tubes have a very specific life. Commonly 36 months. However, their effectiveness begin fading as soon as 18 months. Non-name brand versions can begin fading as soon as 6 months.

momofbne

Nov 14, 2016
I have been using a full spectrum bulb I bought on prettyparrot.com FULL SPECTRUM LIGHTING . My pionus is doing well with it. I am in need of another bulb since my original broke. I'm wondering if anyone knows if the following is a good replacement: Philips 100W Equivalent Daylight Deluxe T2 Twister CFL Light Bulb (4-Pack) (E*)-433557 - The Home Depot

I could re-purchase the original one, but looking at cost, it seems the one at HD is 5x cheaper (they come in a 4 pack). Can anyone verify that this product is similar/safe?

Thanks!
:green:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
laurasea-albums-penny-picture20429-healthypets-logo-responsive.png

Why is Ultraviolet Light so Important for Your Bird?
1. To promote vitamin D synthesis and absorption

Just as humans do, birds need vitamin D to aid in nutrient absorption and bio-assimilation.

Your pet bird has an uropygial or ā€œpreenā€ gland above the base of the tail. This gland secretes oil. As your bird grooms, it spreads this oil over its feathers.

This oil contains a compound that produces vitamin D when exposed to the sunā€™s ultraviolet rays. So as your bird grooms under an ultraviolet light source, itā€™s actually mixing up a healthy batch of vitamin D on its feathers.

As your bird re-grooms his feathers coated in oil, he ingests the vitamin D. The vitamin D in his system will then be converted by his kidneys and liver to active vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol).

Another way your bird absorbs vitamin D is through his eyes.

The lens of the human eye is trichromatic, which means it contains cones that absorb only three color spectrums ā€“ red, blue and green. The human lens filters out ultraviolet light.

Not so with birds. The lens of a birdā€™s eye absorbs not only red, blue and green spectrums, but also UVA and UVB rays, making their vision pentachromatic. Your bird has better vision than you do, and he can also see more hues and colors than you. This enhanced vision helps birds locate certain food sources and even helps them select a mate.

Your birdā€™s eye is also different from yours in that he has an additional gland around his retina called the Harderian gland.

The Harderian gland aids absorption of UV light into his retina and communicates with his pineal and pituitary glands to help regulate his birdā€™s breathing, molting, and day/night cycles as well as his migration pattern.

Your birdā€™s basal metabolism and overall health are in large part regulated by the pineal gland and the pituitary gland, which means the condition of the Harderian gland is also pivotal.

2. To prevent your bird from developing UV deficiency-related illnesses

A vitamin D3 deficiency frequently results in hypocalcaemia or low calcium levels. Symptoms can include:

Low egg production/hatching and poor shell quality
Bone fractures
Seizures
Shortage of vitamin D3 can also cause physical abnormalities, including a soft or overgrown beak, splayed legs, and bent keels.

The avian disease stargazing (twirling) is associated with vitamin D deficiency, as is Conure Bleeding Syndrome and increasingly, many types of cancer.

If you happen to own an African gray, you know how susceptible your bird is to hypocalcaemia. Recent research is pointing in the direction of a vitamin D deficiency rather than low calcium levels.

Since vitamin D is required for adequate calcium absorption, lack of direct sunlight or another appropriate ultraviolet light source may reduce the effectiveness of the calcium fortified pellets you feed your gray. This can result in chronically low calcium levels.

3. To improve your birdā€™s overall well-being and quality of life

In my experience as an avian veterinary medicine (AVM) practitioner, Iā€™ve seen exposure to ultraviolet light positively affect not only the physical health of my bird patients, but also their mental processes and emotional well-being.

Access to direct sunlight or an alternative appropriate source of UV light can improve conditions as varied as:

Destructive behavior like feather picking
A poor feather coat
Organ dysfunction
Immunologic disorders
Poor mood and temperament
Using Ultraviolet Bulbs
Except for the lucky few who live in warm, sunny climates and can have their pets outside for several hours a day, most of you will need to provide your birds with indoor UV lighting to ensure they get the exposure they need for good health.

Putting your bird in front of a window wonā€™t do the trick -- glass filters out the beneficial components of ultraviolet rays.

There are a number of UV bulbs for birds available on the market. You will want to buy the kind that provides both UVA and UVB rays.

And make sure youā€™re buying UV bulbs designed for birds. The UV spectrum in aquarium bulbs is in the blue range. If you happen to breed birds, you probably already know that blue spectrum light rays produce more female than male offspring.

So avoid aquarium or fish bulbs, and plant or grow bulbs. Stick with UV bulbs specifically marketed for birds. Place the light about 12 to 18 inches from your birdā€™s perch.

I keep UV lights on my birds for around eight hours a day. You can go up to ten, but the minimum I recommend is four hours.

Five Key Ingredients for Your Birdā€™s Good Health
Pure water
Clean air
A species-appropriate diet that includes lots of living foods
Coconut oil and essential fatty acids
Adequate ultraviolet light

[+]Sources and References
My avian Vet recommend 15 miniuts to 30 miniuts daily sun/shade. Watching for over heating, she asked me to walk through the sun and sit in the shade. I can see a visible difference in my parrots featheres, they are so iridescent, and glossy shinning after doing this for a month. Tho I haven't a
Achieved daily...

Last edited:

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
laurasea-albums-penny-picture20429-healthypets-logo-responsive.png

Why is Ultraviolet Light so Important for Your Bird?
1. To promote vitamin D synthesis and absorption

Just as humans do, birds need vitamin D to aid in nutrient absorption and bio-assimilation.

Your pet bird has an uropygial or ā€œpreenā€ gland above the base of the tail. This gland secretes oil. As your bird grooms, it spreads this oil over its feathers.

This oil contains a compound that produces vitamin D when exposed to the sunā€™s ultraviolet rays. So as your bird grooms under an ultraviolet light source, itā€™s actually mixing up a healthy batch of vitamin D on its feathers.

As your bird re-grooms his feathers coated in oil, he ingests the vitamin D. The vitamin D in his system will then be converted by his kidneys and liver to active vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol).

Another way your bird absorbs vitamin D is through his eyes.

The lens of the human eye is trichromatic, which means it contains cones that absorb only three color spectrums ā€” red, blue and green. The human lens filters out ultraviolet light.

Not so with birds. The lens of a birdā€™s eye absorbs not only red, blue and green spectrums, but also UVA and UVB rays, making their vision pentachromatic. Your bird has better vision than you do, and he can also see more hues and colors than you. This enhanced vision helps birds locate certain food sources and even helps them select a mate.

Your birdā€™s eye is also different from yours in that he has an additional gland around his retina called the Harderian gland.

The Harderian gland aids absorption of UV light into his retina and communicates with his pineal and pituitary glands to help regulate his birdā€™s breathing, molting, and day/night cycles as well as his migration pattern.

Your birdā€™s basal metabolism and overall health are in large part regulated by the pineal gland and the pituitary gland, which means the condition of the Harderian gland is also pivotal.

2. To prevent your bird from developing UV deficiency-related illnesses

A vitamin D3 deficiency frequently results in hypocalcaemia or low calcium levels. Symptoms can include:

Low egg production/hatching and poor shell quality
Bone fractures
Seizures
Shortage of vitamin D3 can also cause physical abnormalities, including a soft or overgrown beak, splayed legs, and bent keels.

The avian disease stargazing (twirling) is associated with vitamin D deficiency, as is Conure Bleeding Syndrome and increasingly, many types of cancer.

If you happen to own an African gray, you know how susceptible your bird is to hypocalcaemia. Recent research is pointing in the direction of a vitamin D deficiency rather than low calcium levels.

Since vitamin D is required for adequate calcium absorption, lack of direct sunlight or another appropriate ultraviolet light source may reduce the effectiveness of the calcium fortified pellets you feed your gray. This can result in chronically low calcium levels.

3. To improve your birdā€™s overall well-being and quality of life

In my experience as an avian veterinary medicine (AVM) practitioner, Iā€™ve seen exposure to ultraviolet light positively affect not only the physical health of my bird patients, but also their mental processes and emotional well-being.

Access to direct sunlight or an alternative appropriate source of UV light can improve conditions as varied as:

Destructive behavior like feather picking
A poor feather coat
Organ dysfunction
Immunologic disorders
Poor mood and temperament
Using Ultraviolet Bulbs
Except for the lucky few who live in warm, sunny climates and can have their pets outside for several hours a day, most of you will need to provide your birds with indoor UV lighting to ensure they get the exposure they need for good health.

Putting your bird in front of a window wonā€™t do the trick -- glass filters out the beneficial components of ultraviolet rays.

There are a number of UV bulbs for birds available on the market. You will want to buy the kind that provides both UVA and UVB rays.

And make sure youā€™re buying UV bulbs designed for birds. The UV spectrum in aquarium bulbs is in the blue range. If you happen to breed birds, you probably already know that blue spectrum light rays produce more female than male offspring.

So avoid aquarium or fish bulbs, and plant or grow bulbs. Stick with UV bulbs specifically marketed for birds. Place the light about 12 to 18 inches from your birdā€™s perch.

I keep UV lights on my birds for around eight hours a day. You can go up to ten, but the minimum I recommend is four hours.

Five Key Ingredients for Your Birdā€™s Good Health
Pure water
Clean air
A species-appropriate diet that includes lots of living foods
Coconut oil and essential fatty acids
Adequate ultraviolet light

[+]Sources and References
My avian Vet recommend 15 miniuts to 30 miniuts daily sun/shade. Watching for over heating, she asked me to walk through the sun and sit in the shade. I can see a visible difference in my parrots featheres, they are so iridescent, and glossy shinning after doing this for a month. Tho I haven't a
Achieved daily...

Excellent information Laurasea!
Thanks for sharing this. :smile049:

alohadot

Jul 3, 2023
Parrots
i have 2 african grays 1 gold blu macaw 2 grn cheek amazon
AWESOME, Walt!!! Thanks so much for this info. I will make this thread a sticky, especially since lighting is coming up all the time. I will also dig around and merge other threads you've made about lighting and combine them with this one. :)

Thank you again!!!
i have personally found led inferior as to life / brightness not as labeled costs more bulb and bill

Most Reactions

Latest posts