Linnie vs Parrotlet

Ppcrn

Jan 1, 2019
Help convince me! I am getting a bird and narrowed it down to two options; I will either get a linnie pair or a single parrotlet. But after tons of research, I cant decide! My husband and I work 9-5 and have a baby on the way. I have had birds before but never a parrot of any kind. I have found breeders who hand feed and hand tame both and I have no problem giving the birds free time around the house or on my shoulder each evening.

So, with my lifestyle and time I would spend with the birds, which bird should I get? Which is more fun? More trainable? Easier to clean? More able to speak? More cuddly? I know parrotlets can be more nippy or favor a single family member more than others, but can this be trained away?

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
I don't know too much about either but quick question: why a pair of linnie but only one parrotlet?

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I say a linnie only cuz I just googled them and they seem super neat!!! And they hold food in a foot like true Parrots! Keep us posted!

OP
P

Ppcrn

Jan 1, 2019
I don't know too much about either but quick question: why a pair of linnie but only one parrotlet?

From what Ive read, Linnies do well in pairs but Parrotlets are territorial and can harm or even kill a cage mate. Most people with pairs of parrotlets have them housed individually.

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
I think you need to decide if you want a "pet" for yourself, or if you want to have birds in the house that aren't really bonded to you in a close way...A "pair" of any parrots isn't going to probably have much to do with you, while a single parrot will have you as it's flock member, and will bond closely...

My mom bred Linnies for years, and we had many single Linnies that were bonded to us in the house. They are very much like a BeeBee Parakeet or pretty much any other parrot by themselves, they bond closely with you and if hand-raised are cuddly and wonderful. I never saw any "aggression" at all from any Linnie.

I've not ever owned or really know any Parrotlet, but I know lots of people who have them and they seem to be the same, bond closely with their people and can be very loving...Whatever you choose, I don't suggest getting a "pair" of anything if you are looking for a friendly, cuddly bird that you want to be close with, because typically if they are bonded with each other then they aren't going to want to bond closely with a person. Linnies included...

Highlandparrots92

Aug 6, 2017
Scotland, edinburgh
Parrots
Parrotlets,Irish fancy canaries, meyers, jardines, white capped pionus, Budgies, Tiels, Goldie & Scaly Lorikeets, Lineolated parakeets, Kakarkis, R.i.P - Pip lesser sulphur cocktoo "always on my shoul
Hello i keep both species as breeding aviary groups and personnally i much prefer the linnies ive recently had a few babies of both and i must say the linnies are much quieter and calmer and generally nicer and alot less flighty and bitey i dislike parrotlets despite being absoultly adorable they can be nasty angry little birds ive had issues with them attavking other birds and even myself they are tiny bundles of fury lol saying that i have had nice ones but find them far and few inbetween id recommend the linnies out of the two species or widen your search things like cockatiels and rosa bourkes also make nice birds if raised and bonded with correctly. Best of luck with whatever species you decide on. Regards. Sam

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
Honestly, with a baby on the way, this might not be the perfect time to add a parrot to your household. They are not simply pretty creatures to put in a cage and marvel at. They are ridiculously intelligent, needy little beings who deserve all the time we can possibly give them. Having raised my child to adulthood, I can tell you that for me personally, there was never a time when she was growing up that I could have devoted enough time to a parrot. And parrots who don't get enough attention get really noisy and wake up babies.

That said, I have a parrotlet and I love her like crazy and she is my heart - but as Highlandparrots92 mentioned, they are bitey, rambunctious little birds. I wouldn't have one with a baby/small child in the house because the bird will draw blood, the kid will fling it away in pain, the bird will die . . . or you will rehome it which is the horrible fate of most parrots - home after home after home.

There are some lovely finches and other songbirds that can be had as pets and that maybe don't need the same kind of interaction as a parrot would Maybe you can look into those. Or possibly a Golden Lab - nice family dogs.

Good luck!

Most Reactions

Latest posts