List hazardous toys HERE, please

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Chainsaws. Definitely a bad toy selection.

Dang it. I was just about to buy one for Kiwi my next trip to home depot:eek: He's gonna be so disappointed now:(

The real question here is the cahinsaw dangerous for the bird or dangerous for the owner when in the claws of the bird?;)

Tangie

May 10, 2013
Maine
Parrots
Kiko; A cockatiel.
Tangie; My beloved Sun Conure who passed away in May 2013
I just came upon a blog stating that this toy is dangerous to parrots. The reason why I found the blog about this toy is because this toy is in Walmart a few says ago, and I had remembered faintly something about a similar toy that was dangerous, too.

108f738c-8c21-4e44-baa5-e1db5c4efb56.jpg~320x480

ShaunaR

Supporting Member
Jun 5, 2014
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Pixie the White Bellied Caique
Our Caique got her beak stuck up inside a bell where the clapper hangs down and had to have help getting free. Rick found her dangling from the bell by her beak and screaming and I am so glad I wasn't home! No bells in our cages any longer!

Grraarrgghh

Jan 5, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Parrots
"Albert" - Female Red Bellied Parrot - 1y3m (Oct 8th, 2014), "Martha" - Unknown Yellow-Sided GCC - 11m (Feb 13th 2015)
CC-34722-61258C_798-foraging.jpg

This type of foraging wheel took a couple small chunks out of Albert's beak a few months ago, as he would jam his beak in trying to get at a morsel. It's possible it's just not suited to his size of bird however.

OP
J

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Oh wow! I have 2 of those (one for each Amazon), and never had any issues. Their beaks, however, don't fit in there. Sorry to hear of Albert's beak. :eek: And thank you for the heads up!!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I just came upon a blog stating that this toy is dangerous to parrots. The reason why I found the blog about this toy is because this toy is in Walmart a few says ago, and I had remembered faintly something about a similar toy that was dangerous, too.

This makes my blood boil! Lead is a known and deadly hazard to humans and pets. How any toy mfg could utiize such paint is unconscionable. How much more does lead-free paint cost? And if they are unsure of their vendors, lead-testing kits are inexpensive and reliable.

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)

This makes my blood boil! Lead is a known and deadly hazard to humans and pets. How any toy mfg could utiize such paint is unconscionable. How much more does lead-free paint cost? And if they are unsure of their vendors, lead-testing kits are inexpensive and reliable.
FYI this is still on the shelf in Walmart!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.

FYI this is still on the shelf in Walmart!

Despicable! I shop at WallyWorld once a month or so and will seek out this toy. If displayed, I'll show the attached warning to the dept manager and observe the reaction. I suspect this is a very top/down managed organization but will pursue it at a higher level if necessary. If they sell lead-testing kits I just may purchase one and perform a test to be sure.

I just cannot wrap my arms around the notion people are so callous and willing to sentence beautiful and innocent pets to death for a few $$$.

Kae

May 18, 2015
California
Parrots
Cockatiel-Artemis 2 Lovies-Angel&Addie Senegal(My dad's)
Toys with small plastic rings should be avoided, one of my guys got their he'd stuck and panicked.
Also, lol, finger traps, should be avoided because owners of birds can get stuck in them...

Skybird

May 2, 2015
NE Ohio
Parrots
Skylar -- CAG 10 yrs old
Reggie -- Amazon Blue Front 15 yrs old
Thanks for this forum also, as I am fairly new to the bird world, even though we have had our CAG for about 3 to 4 yrs. I am new with my Amazon he loves toys much more than the CAG, so I have removed bells, which Reggie wasn't happy with me and actually turned his back on me for a day :( But he is back talking and being happy with me. I am going to buy some "safer" bells that someone listed here....
Jody

Koni

Sep 26, 2015
Macedonia
Parrots
Koni (ring-necked parakeet)
Reading this thread made me really cautious about getting bird toys, so thank you!

I've been looking into this ladder. I don't really see any danger to it, other then if the parrot gets the beak stuck into the beads' hole. Is that likely?

And some chewing toys:
This one - which again isn't that dangerous IMO other then getting stuck in the holes.
And this one - I'm definitely removing the bell. All the horror stories here involving bells...

Are there any other toys you can recommend to me in the same price range $1-$10?

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Parrots
Reading this thread made me really cautious about getting bird toys, so thank you!

I've been looking into this ladder. I don't really see any danger to it, other then if the parrot gets the beak stuck into the beads' hole. Is that likely?

And some chewing toys:
This one - which again isn't that dangerous IMO other then getting stuck in the holes.
And this one - I'm definitely removing the bell. All the horror stories here involving bells...

Are there any other toys you can recommend to me in the same price range $1-$10?
Every one of those are a danger! The clasps are a real no go! If these are all from the same place, I would avoid them completely! Either they are ignorant on safety, or don't care!

Koni

Sep 26, 2015
Macedonia
Parrots
Koni (ring-necked parakeet)

And some chewing toys:

Every one of those are a danger! The clasps are a real no go! If these are all from the same place, I would avoid them completely! Either they are ignorant on safety, or don't care!
If the clasps are the problem can I maybe remove them and just tie the ladder onto the cage?

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Parrots
Quote: Originally Posted by Koni
If the clasps are the problem can I maybe remove them and just tie the ladder onto the cage?

Yes you can, but my concern is. This carelessness may be indicative of the rest of the construction! The coloring may not be food grade, the unsafe ones contain lead! More than likely the metal parts are not stainless. It is very easy for your babies to get heavy-metal poisoning! There are probably a lot of birds out there that have died from this and the owners never understood why!

I was just thinking, a ladder like that would be dead easy to make. String, your pegs from your other post, some plastic beads and you have it! You can get a bucket of beads for almost nothing at hobby lobby. Also you give them your email and you get a coupon for 40% off anything that can be used over and over and over!

http://www.parrotforums.com/do-yourself/52261-making-toys-cheap-very-cheap-free.html

Last edited:

Minimaker

Jul 29, 2014
Illinois
Parrots
GW Macaw-Sailor, Goffins Cockatoo Mako, GC Conure-Tazzy, Turquoise Conure Yuki, Budgies-Percy, Annabeth, Elsa
We just had the scariest thing happen this morning, I was in cooking breakfast and I heard Sailor squawk her head off. We all ran in there just in time to see her swinging by the neck from a toy ball she chewed up-think "old west style lynching" type hanging. Her body was in midair, and she was swinging freely by the neck. When I first ordered toys for her, I went to the kings cages website (using the side menu I searched by bird size for the biggest toys and ordered multiples of some items. This ball was one of them: King's Cages - Avian and Pet Bird Cages, Supplies, Food, Toys, Perches, Aviaries, Pluck No More

and this one: King's Cages - Avian and Pet Bird Cages, Supplies, Food, Toys, Perches, Aviaries, Pluck No More

The last ones she simply chewed up little by little and they fell in pieces to the floor so I thought nothing of it. This one she chewed into a broken up hoop shape while I wasn't paying attention and literally hung herself from it. She somehow got her head through the hole she made in it and then got stuck. She must have panicked and fought to get free thus loosing her grip on her perch and ended up swinging from it. My husband immediately held her up from underneath and she was so scared she fought and bit him. I had to unscrew the toy from the top of the cage and then we put her on the floor to remove it from her neck. She's fine now, but the whole thing had her more scared and stressed than I have ever seen her. Hubbs has a few bite marks but nothing very bad. Everyone will be fine but clearly this is not a safe toy for larger parrots.

Most Reactions

Latest posts