List hazardous toys HERE, please

friendcaique

Oct 18, 2015
Australia
Parrots
Hoping for a Budgie!
Is cotton rope safe for your bird because i think I have heard some terrible stories of cotton rope killing or injuring birds:eek::eek:

ZephyrFly

Sep 21, 2014
UK
Parrots
Pazu - Green Cheek Conure - Hatch Date ~27 September 2014~
As long as it's clean and not dyed cotton is safe and natural .

Rope, regardless of its material can pose a danger for birds that like to get in it and potentially get stuck. Natural fibres are OK, I use sisal but all my bird uses it for is getting one place to another.

Observe them playing around/on it outside their cage then decide whether you think they'd be safe having it in the cage.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Any rope can be dangerous once frayed. So make sure to keep an eye on it and change it out for a new one when needed.

And obviously make sure it hasn't been treated with any chemicals.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Let's see:

Motorcycles, skateboards, fast cars, aerobatic aircraft, jet skiis, mountain climbing gear, dirt bikes, atv's, parachutes, wing suits, jet packs, skiis, snowboards...

Oh, wait, hazardous for them...

Anything they can get their toe caught in. Anything that is a potential ingestion hazard. Anything made of toxic materials (i.e. galvanized metals being a frequent offender. They say it's bird safe, and it ain't!), and anything they can inadvertently get their little head caught in...

Those are the things to check for in any toy. Even safe toys can be unsafe if they get chewed up. So you do have to do an inspection every so often (for me it's cage cleaning day.)

Last edited:

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Is cotton rope safe for your bird because i think I have heard some terrible stories of cotton rope killing or injuring birds:eek::eek:

Depends on the bird and depends on the condition of the rope.

I had a G2 die from preening the rope toy too much. We let him do it, because he was a mutilator, and we'd rather have him mulilating a rope toy, than himself. Thought we had found a way he could occupy himself instead of plucking all day... He even regrew a lot of his feathers...

Then he died of an intestinal blockage from ingesting too much preening rope. The "cure" was worse than the disease. We thought we were doing right by him... but...

Most parrots don't ingest them, just chew them up. If they are eating the stands, get the rope out of there immediately... Other than that, frayed rope can be a toe catch hazard, so inspect it. And the pointed ends of the wire can be sharp if that starts sticking through the end.

Having said that I have rope toys in every single cages, and multiple rope toys on every single playstand. Sally lived on her boing for many years, and has both a boing and a rope swing that she spends a significant amount of time on now. And CARGO NETS ARE DA BOMB! I've got five or six of those things up in my birdroom... Again, one or two on every playstand.

So, yeah, mine get lots of rope toys.

Other than that one bird, who it seemed was determined to self destruct, we have had zero incidents.

OP
J

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I feel the need to update this thread.

Please, be VERY careful with eye screws (stainless or not). Many toys, unfortunately come with those. If you have an avid chewer, those eye screws come off and can pose a terrible danger to our fids.

This is what they look like:

The toy below is dangerous. Not only does it have one of those eye screws, but a bird's head can get stuck in between. (It's happened to my Sam...and I know of another member whose bird got stuck in it)

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
I feel the need to update this thread.

Please, be VERY careful with eye screws (stainless or not). Many toys, unfortunately come with those. If you have an avid chewer, those eye screws come off and can pose a terrible danger to our fids.

This is what they look like:

The toy below is dangerous. Not only does it have one of those eye screws, but a bird's head can get stuck in between. (It's happened to my Sam...and I know of another member whose bird got stuck in it)

Thank you, Wendy! This is a very dangerous toy! One of my quakers managed to get his head between two of the dowels, if I hadn't been in the room when he did it, I can only imagine the horrific results!

OP
J

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Another VERY dangerous toy is this one, often labeled "Cotton Candy" as it completely unwinds and fluffs up as birds chew/preen it.

Too many toenails have been caught in toys like this. I personally don't like any frilly cotton stuff hanging off my toys.

gracebowen

Jan 14, 2015
San Antonio
Parrots
Cora lovebird
Sky parakeet
I had been using pony beads to make toys. Jade had one and was putting it in het mouth. I was afraid she would eat it so I tried to take it away. As i got up it completely dissapeared in her mouth.

I thought she swallowed it. As i was trying to figure out how to get her in a travel cage for a trip to the avian vet she spit it out. I got it and took it and alk others away.

No more pony beads.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
I just ran across this thread and took my time reading through it.
I would just add that Rbird never plays ALONE with a new toy until I've watched him for several hours, and I have seen what he does with it. Then he can have it in his cage when I'm not around.

Quakerella

Apr 2, 2012
Canada
Parrots
3 quakers, 2 indian ringnecks, 6 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels, 1 budgie, 1 eastern rosella
Never leave your rope strands longer than 3 inches and only use Supreme or Superior cotton for birds. It is a special rope that pulls apart. Never use polyester for your birds. Whether it is fleece or rope or yarn. As for the eye screws, that is part of our daily inspection of toys. Check them to see if they are loose or if the screw area can be seen. If so remove them immediately. I do agree though, always watch your bird with a new toy.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Never leave your rope strands longer than 3 inches and only use Supreme or Superior cotton for birds. It is a special rope that pulls apart. Never use polyester for your birds. Whether it is fleece or rope or yarn. As for the eye screws, that is part of our daily inspection of toys. Check them to see if they are loose or if the screw area can be seen. If so remove them immediately. I do agree though, always watch your bird with a new toy.

I disagree about the polyester/fleece..I know many, many people who use that for huts and swings with zero issues. It has to NOT be flame retardant, however.
I find 100% cotton used in huts and swings pills, and can cause issues if the bird eats it.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts

I disagree about the polyester/fleece..I know many, many people who use that for huts and swings with zero issues. It has to NOT be flame retardant, however.
I find 100% cotton used in huts and swings pills, and can cause issues if the bird eats it.

I wholeheartedly agree! Polyester fleece is used commercially and for DIY products. Polyester fleece toys are widely used at sanctuaries and rescues with no issues. Any toy has the potential to be dangerous. No one knows their birds as well as their owners, if you have a bad feeling about a product or toy then definitely don't use it.

Quakerella

Apr 2, 2012
Canada
Parrots
3 quakers, 2 indian ringnecks, 6 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels, 1 budgie, 1 eastern rosella
I am more concerned about the chemicals in the polyester. Unfortunately, the damage that is being done is going to show up maybe 5 - 6 years from now, not right away. I respect everyone's personal decision. I just ask you to go and research polyester to see what it is made of, what is used to dye it and the government regulations on fire retardants. Please.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I am more concerned about the chemicals in the polyester. Unfortunately, the damage that is being done is going to show up maybe 5 - 6 years from now, not right away. I respect everyone's personal decision. I just ask you to go and research polyester to see what it is made of, what is used to dye it and the government regulations on fire retardants. Please.

Thank you for the recommendation to research, I always do that before using anything around my flock:)
Cotton can have many chemicals as well, unless you are buying organic cotton.

Quakerella

Apr 2, 2012
Canada
Parrots
Thank you for the recommendation to research, I always do that before using anything around my flock
Cotton can have many chemicals as well, unless you are buying organic cotton.
You are absolutely right about cotton and chemicals. Cotton fields are constantly sprayed with various fertilizers and such, except organic which is obviously best, but quite expensive. Some can be washed away but others are actually embedded into fibers. Polyester is made from chemicals and nothing else. One of the main polymers is ethylene glycol, a.k.a antifreeze. I don't feel comfortable using this for my birds. My sources are from various manufacturers of synthetic and organic fleece, as well as test conducted at the biotech lab at Georgian University. Obviously everyone needs to made there own decisions, I am only trying to pass on information that may be potentially hazardous to our little friends.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Happy huts, these are deadly and so many parrots have been injured or killed because of them
large-508023_HAPPY_HUT_LGE_YELLOW.jpg

This style of plastic toy can strangle parrots(the middle plastic part slides around making it dangerous). One member a while ago mentioned it happening to their bird while they played with a similar toy - luckily they were home and could save them.

acrylic.267120005_large.jpg

Wanted to "bump" the hazard of Happy Huts due to recent tragedies.

jiannotto9492

Jun 14, 2015
Long Island, New York
Parrots
Curry the Indian Ringneck
Happy huts, these are deadly and so many parrots have been injured or killed because of them
large-508023_HAPPY_HUT_LGE_YELLOW.jpg

This style of plastic toy can strangle parrots(the middle plastic part slides around making it dangerous). One member a while ago mentioned it happening to their bird while they played with a similar toy - luckily they were home and could save them.

acrylic.267120005_large.jpg

Wanted to "bump" the hazard of Happy Huts due to recent tragedies.

These along with rope perches can be both great and terrible.

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
Speaking as a chemist...One thing to bear in mind when discussing chemicals....many beneficial things are made from poisons. For example, gentle glycerin soap is made with lye, a poisonous and corrosive chemical that causes burns. While toxic chemicals may go into plastic production, they are usually completely converted or removed from the final product. I personally would not worry about a bird getting poisoned by any residual chemicals in polyester fleece. I would worry about the toxic fumes that would be released if it were to catch fire, or about fire retardant chemicals added to it. I'd worry about those same compounds being added to cotton or linen, though. Artificial colors are are worse problem - some of these, especially the red colors, are bad. For any chemicals to harm the bird, they have to get into the system. Since many plastics are not water soluble, this actually makes them safer for birds because they are less likely to be injested. Dyes are usually water or alcohol soluble, and can migrate into food, water, wet feathers - and if injested will be easily absorbed into the body. Anything that touches the bird, I wash in water and then in alcohol. Or vodka. Water soluble chemicals will dissolve in water, and many oil-soluble compounds will dissolve in alcohol.

Another risk is internal blockage from eating the stuff. If a bird chews rope, or cloth, or paper there is always a risk that some of it is being swallowed. If it's small enough bits, and just a few, maybe it can be safely eliminated. Natural fibers might even be worse - they might be more easily fractured into tiny bits that can be swallowed, while synthetics might have enough strength to stay in long strands that don't get eaten. On the other hand, natural fibers might be less likely to create long strands that could strangle a bird.

People seem to know about using stainless steel over galvanized metal, but some cheap stainless - especially from overseas - can be contaminated with cobalt, chromium, etc. I know you don't have much choice when it's already in the toy, but if you are making your own toys you can be more particular about sourcing the materials. Leather is another unexpected problem - most commercial leather is chrome tanned, and full of toxic chemicals. Even some vegetable tanned leather has been produced by starting with chrome tanned leathers. Pure vegetable tanned, undyed leathers are available. I trust the ones from Siegel Leather - be explicit about what you are looking for, and Steve Siegel will make sure you get the proper leather.

My current belief system holds these as facts:
1. Wash all materials and toys in water, alcohol, and let dry before using.
2. Watch carefully for signs of fraying and replace items at once.
3. Take the bird's habits into consideration when selecting materials (are they a chewer or a bonker)
4. Use only stainless steel or vegetable tanned, undyed leathers to hang chew toys.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
Speaking as a chemist...One thing to bear in mind when discussing chemicals....many beneficial things are made from poisons. For example, gentle glycerin soap is made with lye, a poisonous and corrosive chemical that causes burns. While toxic chemicals may go into plastic production, they are usually completely converted or removed from the final product. I personally would not worry about a bird getting poisoned by any residual chemicals in polyester fleece. I would worry about the toxic fumes that would be released if it were to catch fire, or about fire retardant chemicals added to it. I'd worry about those same compounds being added to cotton or linen, though. Artificial colors are are worse problem - some of these, especially the red colors, are bad. For any chemicals to harm the bird, they have to get into the system. Since many plastics are not water soluble, this actually makes them safer for birds because they are less likely to be injested. Dyes are usually water or alcohol soluble, and can migrate into food, water, wet feathers - and if injested will be easily absorbed into the body. Anything that touches the bird, I wash in water and then in alcohol. Or vodka. Water soluble chemicals will dissolve in water, and many oil-soluble compounds will dissolve in alcohol.

Another risk is internal blockage from eating the stuff. If a bird chews rope, or cloth, or paper there is always a risk that some of it is being swallowed. If it's small enough bits, and just a few, maybe it can be safely eliminated. Natural fibers might even be worse - they might be more easily fractured into tiny bits that can be swallowed, while synthetics might have enough strength to stay in long strands that don't get eaten. On the other hand, natural fibers might be less likely to create long strands that could strangle a bird.

People seem to know about using stainless steel over galvanized metal, but some cheap stainless - especially from overseas - can be contaminated with cobalt, chromium, etc. I know you don't have much choice when it's already in the toy, but if you are making your own toys you can be more particular about sourcing the materials. Leather is another unexpected problem - most commercial leather is chrome tanned, and full of toxic chemicals. Even some vegetable tanned leather has been produced by starting with chrome tanned leathers. Pure vegetable tanned, undyed leathers are available. I trust the ones from Siegel Leather - be explicit about what you are looking for, and Steve Siegel will make sure you get the proper leather.

My current belief system holds these as facts:
1. Wash all materials and toys in water, alcohol, and let dry before using.
2. Watch carefully for signs of fraying and replace items at once.
3. Take the bird's habits into consideration when selecting materials (are they a chewer or a bonker)
4. Use only stainless steel or vegetable tanned, undyed leathers to hang chew toys.

Kentuckienne, thank you so much for your valuable contribution from a chemist's point of view. This is very helpful information, much appreciated.

Most Reactions

Latest posts