Looking for a 100% bird safe air purifier for my bird's room

pmaddie21

Sep 30, 2021
Parrots
Sun conure, green cheek conure
Hello! I am Juno and Mango's mom. I've been looking for a decent air purifier (also safe) for my birds room. I saw people saying that rabbitair is pretty good though. Does anyone use rabbitair? Like any models of rabbitair is safe for birds? Is it perfectly safe for the birds? Is there any other brand that perfectly safe for birds?

OP
pmaddie21

pmaddie21

Sep 30, 2021
Parrots
I’ve used the HEPA air purifier and it’s bird safe.
The one i'm looking at is rabbit air BioGS 2.0. It says hepa filter. What brand of air purifier are you using?

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
I use an Iq air. I have used the Dyson and two(one was a replacement) I've had both let out a horrible smell and smoke - luckily I woke up to it and was able to deal with malfunction. The third Dyson (another replacement) works fine but it doesn't run near the birds or without someone in the room with it. I highly recommend the IQAir

OP
pmaddie21

pmaddie21

Sep 30, 2021
Parrots
I use an Iq air. I have used the Dyson and two(one was a replacement) I've had both let out a horrible smell and smoke - luckily I woke up to it and was able to deal with malfunction. The third Dyson (another replacement) works fine but it doesn't run near the birds or without someone in the room with it. I highly recommend the IQAir
Hi ! Thanks for the reply! Can you tell me which model are you using now? Also do you know if IQAir's airpurifiers are ozone free by any chance?

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
This is the iq air I'm using (hospitals also use Iq air as their air purifier) https://www.iqair.com/us/room-air-purifiers/gc-multigas/features.

The Dyson model I'd havehave to check the specific model but it's the hot and cold airpurifier one.

I also have a molecule air purifier that disinfectants the air https://molekule.com/ this one I had to off gas before using because it had a strange smell.

I'm not sure about the ozone I don't believe any of them have it but I don't know too much about ozone ... other than it's being used as a cancer therapy.... if your looking for a more disinfectant air purifier than maybe molekule would fit your needs.

OP
pmaddie21

pmaddie21

Sep 30, 2021
Parrots
This is the iq air I'm using (hospitals also use Iq air as their air purifier) https://www.iqair.com/us/room-air-purifiers/gc-multigas/features.

The Dyson model I'd havehave to check the specific model but it's the hot and cold airpurifier one.

I also have a molecule air purifier that disinfectants the air https://molekule.com/ this one I had to off gas before using because it had a strange smell.

I'm not sure about the ozone .... if your looking for a more disinfectant air purifier than maybe molekule would fit your needs.
Thank you so much 💚🧡 i'm just trying to find the best air purifier. I've already lost one of my babies due to respiratory infection.. and this is also why i'm being picky. Thank you though !

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
Thank you so much 💚🧡 i'm just trying to find the best air purifier. I've already lost one of my babies due to respiratory infection.. and this is also why i'm being picky. Thank you though !
Aw I am so sorry for your loss :(. Iq air works amazing for us. We have a neighbor who burns trash and the Iq air takes out any vocs that come through the cracks. I also have a humidifier that is on during the winter for the birds. My Older OWA needs the humidifier. Humidifiers can harbor bacteria and fungi so you do have to clean them frequently. I'll mist colloidal silver in the air every once in a while as a prevented measure . Hope this helps.
Some people use essential oils in their humidifiers ( I do not because I havent done enough research for my humidifier but I do put a drop into my cleaning spray bottle for floors and counters- certain oils kills bacteria ) there is a bird group for essential oils and an avian vet who uses essential oils in Colorado- I have one ofn his book- HOLISTIC CARE of BIRDS

You have to be very selective in essential oils as it has to be 100% organic and pure and third party tested.

Last edited:
OP
pmaddie21

pmaddie21

Sep 30, 2021
Parrots
Aw I am so sorry for your loss :(. Iq air works amazing for us. We have a neighbor who burns trash and the Iq air takes out any vocs that come through the cracks. I also have a humidifier that is on during the winter for the birds. My Older OWA needs the humidifier. I'll mist colloidal silver in the air every once in a while as a prevented measure for any ailments . Hope this helps.
Some people use essential oils in their humidifiers ( I do not because I havent done enough research for my humidifier but I do put a drop into my cleaning spray bottle for floors and counters- certain oils kills bacteria ) there is a bird group for essential oils and an avian vet who uses essential oils in Colorado- I have one ofn his book- HOLISTIC CARE of BIRDS

You have to be very selective in essential oils as it has to be 100% organic and pure and third party tested.
Thank you for all of these info !! I will definitely check on those. I have a neighbor who does bbq all the time, and i was so stressed about it 🤦🏻‍♀️. If iq air works good for you guys then it will for us too ! Does your air purifier has ion generator mode by any chance? If it does can you turn it off? Sorry for asking so many questions...

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
Im happy to help. No, I don't believe it does. The only thing I've adjusted on mine is the speed. I run at max speed the majority of the time.

OP
pmaddie21

pmaddie21

Sep 30, 2021
Parrots
Im happy to help. No, I don't believe it does. The only thing I've adjusted on mine is the speed. I run at max speed the majority of the time.
Thank you !! I think i will get IQ Air instead of rabbit air. I just needed an advice from the actual parrot parents not business owners haha.

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
2021 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
I'm also looking into buying air purifier. All we need to be aware is ozone free (so, that the machine doesn't produce ozone) but rather get one that uses the HEPA filter.

I've seen there are some models that have both HEPA and Ozone function - usually the function can be turned on and off as you wish, but I'd still steer away from it.
Ozone is pretty toxic for small birds which is why we should not use such things.

IQAir is one of best out there but is REALLY pricy, well above 800 USD far as I see. For my personal usage I won't need such strong air purifier as we already live in a traffic free zone, air is so much better than down in the city, so many people commented this who came to visit us. However during winter days when the air is still the quality of the air does drop significantly. I will probably look into some more affordable ones, also which ones I get the filters readily as should be changed very 6-12 months.

Abu Colo

Oct 28, 2017
Columbia
Parrots
Colocolo the Kolokolo Bird, Strigops habroptilus subsp. fortasse
Way too many budgerigars
So just to clarify a point, all HEPA filters are indistinguishable in their ability to capture particles. The difference is the size of the filter, the addition of a charcoal filter for VOC, and the size and efficiency of the fans pulling air through the filter and distributing and cycling air in a given space. There is a higher standard, "Super HEPA" which filters an additional .03%. There are also ionizers that help finer particles fall to the ground and ozone generators which even non-aviculturists recommend avoiding as it is an air pollutant itself. So when you are shopping, you really looking for the most efficient fan for the given space. You should also avoid thinking that a single unit can magically clean all the air in a multi-room dwelling as it can only filter and distribute the air that it can reach. It is much more effective to have a purifier in every room, the question then is to find the best device for each sized room, although it is always better to buy a device that is engineered for a larger room than one for a smaller room in the actual dimensions. Check the Wirecutter recommendations for your room size. With birds you probably want a more powerful device that can move a lot of air.

Because you had a previous episode with respiratory illness, you might also want to evaluate cleaning schedules, products, and the overall environment. A robovac in an open floorplan or a robot mop in a dedicated aviary space with tile flooring can take a lot of the effort around keeping an area clean while minimizing disturbances as they can easily clean underneath a standing cage. As for cleaning products, my recommendation is hydrogen peroxide, which is effective against most pathogens and bacteria, faster-acting than vinegar, and birdsafe.

Last edited:

bonnie.bon

Nov 28, 2021
Parrots
Female and male big Alexandrines
I use a humidifier which is also purifier, and it humidifies the room with cold mist, not steam- model: BEKO ATH8130
My birds seem to be very fine with it on. It's also pretty silent and doesn't have permanent light, only when you check the humidity levels.

OP
pmaddie21

pmaddie21

Sep 30, 2021
Parrots
I'm also looking into buying air purifier. All we need to be aware is ozone free (so, that the machine doesn't produce ozone) but rather get one that uses the HEPA filter.

I've seen there are some models that have both HEPA and Ozone function - usually the function can be turned on and off as you wish, but I'd still steer away from it.
Ozone is pretty toxic for small birds which is why we should not use such things.

IQAir is one of best out there but is REALLY pricy, well above 800 USD far as I see. For my personal usage I won't need such strong air purifier as we already live in a traffic free zone, air is so much better than down in the city, so many people commented this who came to visit us. However during winter days when the air is still the quality of the air does drop significantly. I will probably look into some more affordable ones, also which ones I get the filters readily as should be changed very 6-12 months.
Hello ! Thank you so much for your reply. I just needed a bird parents approved air purifier because companies can easily do false advertisement... i was looking at rabbit air at first, but when I contacted them it was not 0 ozone. It still release ozone but very little like 0.005 ppm. How can I be sure that that little ozone won't hurt my birds... Also, their air purifier has ion generator. It can be turned on and off but what if I accidentally turn it on and that hurts my birds? I was willing to pay $800 for IQ air because it is something a bird parent is using without a problem. but if you have a cheaper and better option, please let me know :) sorry i'm little insecure about everything ever since I lost my first bird...

OP
pmaddie21

pmaddie21

Sep 30, 2021
Parrots
I use a humidifier which is also purifier, and it humidifies the room with cold mist, not steam- model: BEKO ATH8130
My birds seem to be very fine with it on. It's also pretty silent and doesn't have permanent light, only when you check the humidity levels.
Thank you ! But can i buy this in the US? I don't see it anywhere 😫

Flipgirl24

Nov 11, 2021
Hello! I am Juno and Mango's mom. I've been looking for a decent air purifier (also safe) for my birds room. I saw people saying that rabbitair is pretty good though. Does anyone use rabbitair? Like any models of rabbitair is safe for birds? Is it perfectly safe for the birds? Is there any other brand that perfectly safe for birds?
Either the IQair or Oransi. The IQair filters smaller particles but the Oransi is less expensive, quieter and the filters are cheaper. Also, the IQair cannot be against a wall. I have an iqair and it does a great job.
Hello! I am Juno and Mango's mom. I've been looking for a decent air purifier (also safe) for my birds room. I saw people saying that rabbitair is pretty good though. Does anyone use rabbitair? Like any models of rabbitair is safe for birds? Is it perfectly safe for the birds? Is there any other brand that perfectly safe for birds

Most Reactions

Latest posts