Looking for a Hahn's Macaw..

RedheadsRock

Sep 16, 2021
Parrots
None
Just joined this, not sure exactly how this website operates. I've been reading the forum on various topics that includes parrots but first time posting a thread. I am absolutely in love with Hahn's Macaws, I would love to add one to our family but it seems like there are SO MANY SCAMMERS. I'm looking for someone to point me in the right direction, someone reputable, knowledgeable, and overall genuine. I'd love something local but the chances of that are none (in Colorado).
I am also considering a Pionus or a parrot from the poicephalus family, but ultimately Hahns is my dream bird. Thanks so much for anyones input.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Hello and welcome!

check out birdbreeders.com. This is where numerous bird breeders post available chicks for sale. ā€œCloseā€ to you might be jc aviary, in Texas. They ship but Iā€™d you are willing to travel a bitā€¦

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
As a breeder friend of mine always says, make contact with local avicultural societies/associations and bird clubs in your State, they should be able to point you in the right direction :)

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Slim chances in Colorado? I got you covered! For a drive to Loveland you will have, Avalon! An amazing place, I have been there many times! Yes, you will have to prove yourself, they are very protective of their birds!

OP
R

RedheadsRock

Sep 16, 2021
Parrots
None
As a breeder friend of mine always says, make contact with local avicultural societies/associations and bird clubs in your State, they should be able to point you in the right direction :)
I hope this wonā€™t sound dumb, but where do I find these groups?

OP
R

RedheadsRock

Sep 16, 2021
Parrots
None
Slim chances in Colorado? I got you covered! For a drive to Loveland you will have, Avalon! An amazing place, I have been there many times! Yes, you will have to prove yourself, they are very protective of their birds!

I actually reached out to them via phone and they do not have any Hahnā€™s but they did put me down on a list for just in case. I appreciate your response.

OP
R

RedheadsRock

Sep 16, 2021
Parrots
None
Hello and welcome!

check out birdbreeders.com. This is where numerous bird breeders post available chicks for sale. ā€œCloseā€ to you might be jc aviary, in Texas. They ship but Iā€™d you are willing to travel a bitā€¦
Yes Iā€™ve been looking on there everyday (no joke). šŸ˜… They have Hahnā€™s at the moment but itā€™s $4,800 and I was hoping for under $3,500.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Have found a couple of resources for you - maybe one of these can help!

COLORADO CAGE BIRD ASSOC.
Box 691
Colorado Springs, CO 80901
(719) 632-3173

FRONT RANGE AVIAN SOCIETY
305 W. Magnolia #314
Ft. Collins, CO 80521
(303) 223-9370

ROCKY MOUNTAIN SOCIETY OF AVICULTURE
P.O. Box 1106
Wheat Ridge, CO 80034-1106
(303) 456-0068