Looking for a Re-Home or Rescue Amazon

Ldy_BlueBird

Jun 10, 2022
Boulder, Colorado
Parrots
Bleu (m/rip) CAG
My dearly loved CAG recently died, so I'm looking around for my next feathered friend. (You can read my introduction post on the Newby forum if you want more details. https://www.parrotforums.com/threads/time-to-fly-again.94878/#post-1006441)

I'm an experienced parrot owner - I know all about fears and phobias, talkers and squawkers. I even did a pretty major diet conversion with my CAG, from people food to fresh chop and organic pellets. He learned to love bathing regularly, got to hang out outside in the sunshine and was learning to meet new people. So life at my house is pretty much a 5 star birdie spa, lol.

I'd much rather take in a bird who is in need of their next forever home than buy a baby.

Any help is much appreciated.

:green:❤️✨

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
So you do realize am Amazon will likely be much louder than your Bleu.

My CAG only gets annoying when she imitates my Cockatiels (at 3x the volume).

My Amazons on the other hand. Even I get tired of listening to them at times.

OP
Ldy_BlueBird

Ldy_BlueBird

Jun 10, 2022
Boulder, Colorado
Parrots
Bleu (m/rip) CAG
So you do realize am Amazon will likely be much louder than your Bleu.

My CAG only gets annoying when she imitates my Cockatiels (at 3x the volume).

My Amazons on the other hand. Even I get tired of listening to them at times.
Lol! That's such a wonderful comment!

In fact, my beloved Bleu did an ear shattering impression of the Cockatoo he lived with prior to coming to live with me, whenever he felt the slightest bit neglected. His super hero power of mimicry turned evil :ROFLMAO:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
As you likely know, the want is to have the Amazon choose you as it begins the Bond development much faster. The family Amazona is huge as are the personalities!

I would recommend that you contact your Avian Vet as they see and know of Parrots that are loosing their homes for any number of reasons. Also let the Rescues in your area know that you are looking for an Amazon. Ebay and those types of sources are questionable as the closer you or they are to the Southern Boarder the greater the likelihood of the Parrot being part of the Black Market .

Remember that young Amazons under the age six must have a Hatch Certificate!!

For a bit of Amazon knowledge, consider visiting the Amazon Forum and reading the Thread at or near the top of that Forum named I love Amazons ... It will become a very useful tool.

I consider myself as an Amazon Snob and have a deep love of the species.

OP
Ldy_BlueBird

Ldy_BlueBird

Jun 10, 2022
Boulder, Colorado
Parrots
Bleu (m/rip) CAG
As you likely know, the want is to have the Amazon choose you as it begins the Bond development much faster. The family Amazona is huge as are the personalities!

I would recommend that you contact your Avian Vet as they see and know of Parrots that are loosing their homes for any number of reasons. Also let the Rescues in your area know that you are looking for an Amazon. Ebay and those types of sources are questionable as the closer you or they are to the Southern Boarder the greater the likelihood of the Parrot being part of the Black Market .

For a bit of Amazon knowledge, consider visiting the Amazon Forum and reading the Thread at or near the top of that Forum named I love Amazons ... It will become a very useful tool.

Thank you SO much for your wonderful feedback.

I did NOT know about the hatch certificate requirement! Who issues the certificate? Is there a way to know if the certificate is a fake or forged in any way?

I am taking my time, waiting for the right bird to come at the right time. I agree with you, the bird needs to choose me. I've had a lifetime of rescue dogs & cats, all of them chose me in one serendipitous way or another (as did my CAG!), all of them very special individuals.

Rescues.... (sigh). Yes. I believe in rescue, it is my first choice for so many reasons. I have been in touch with several. Many. Including the one in Colo that is well known and quite large.

Let me preface the following by saying I understand why rescues are as thorough and rigorous (ridged...?) with their adoption application processes as they are. I get it they are doing their very best to place their birds in the very best homes possible. And... most of them, including the very well known one in Elizebeth, Co, make the adoption process prohibitively difficult. SO drawn out and SO complicated - some of the requirements down right silly - that people like me, experienced, knowledgeable, former parrot owners, are put off and sent to the open market to purchase a bird for sheer simplicity. Because in the end, it's just not worth the time, expense and brain drain.

Since there are few other rescues in Colo, aside from the one in Elizabeth, that survived COVID, I have cast my net a bit larger to rescues in neighboring states. Only to be told they ONLY adopt within a 2 hour drive, 100 mile radius, to their state residents, etc., no exceptions, PERIOD, thankyouforcalling, click. And they all have more birds than they can handle!

So... 🤷🏼‍♀️

The truth is I don't want to purchase a bird from a breeder. It seems ridiculous when there are SOOOO many adult birds in need of homes. Of loving, well informed, healthy homes. And I am that, the very best of 🦜 homes.

I will take your advice and contact the Avian vets in my area and perhaps the Humane Societies, etc. where all kinds of animals are surrendered.

OP
Ldy_BlueBird

Ldy_BlueBird

Jun 10, 2022
Boulder, Colorado
Parrots
Bleu (m/rip) CAG

I forgot to mention, I have read your thread on the Amazon Forum, it's wonderful!!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Rescues Goals are appropriate as those that show-up will tell them near anything to get a bird cheap! We have always provided the number of our Avian Vet and stated, please call them for a reference, etc. We rarely make it home without receiving an approval. But I am also well-known in the local Avian Community and commonly sought-out when they are looking to place an Amazon as we had commonly taken on the most needy.

Remember that other than a document that you completed, they really have no way to confirm everything. And the extended time is simply attempting to verify that the Parrot likes being around you and you are dedicated to the Parrot. I see meeting their requirements as a honor. But, that is just me.

The Hatch Certificate is not yet a formal document, but every above board Breed knows what it is and are willing to provide a document that includes the species of the Parents, the contact information for the Breeder, the date of hatch. The document is to be a living document that stays with the Amazon and as it is sold to a Pet Store (etc.) their information is added to the contact information for that Amazon. If they refuse, run!

OP
Ldy_BlueBird

Ldy_BlueBird

Jun 10, 2022
Boulder, Colorado
Parrots
Bleu (m/rip) CAG
Rescues Goals are appropriate as those that show-up will tell them near anything to get a bird cheap! We have always provided the number of our Avian Vet and stated, please call them for a reference, etc. We rarely make it home without receiving an approval. But I am also well-known in the local Avian Community and commonly sought-out when they are looking to place an Amazon as we had commonly taken on the most needy.

Remember that other than a document that you completed, they really have no way to confirm everything. And the extended time is simply attempting to verify that the Parrot likes being around you and you are dedicated to the Parrot. I see meeting their requirements as a honor. But, that is just me.

The Hatch Certificate is not yet a formal document, but every above board Breed knows what it is and are willing to provide a document that includes the species of the Parents, the contact information for the Breeder, the date of hatch. The document is to be a living document that stays with the Amazon and as it is sold to a Pet Store (etc.) their information is added to the contact information for that Amazon. If they refuse, run!
Oh I absolutely understand why rescues do what they do, why they require certain verifiable information. As I said, I've had rescue dogs and cats for all of my adult life. I've been screened and evaluated by the best. So I get it. I've never been offended or off put by any of it. "Bring it on - let's get through it and get that beast outta jail and home!", has been my attitude. The most protracted of the adoptions probably took 2 - 3 weeks.

Parrot rescue seems to be a completely different animal, pardon the pun, lol.

It is a wonderful thing when your reputation proceeds you, I enjoy that in several places in my life.

So what to do when your heart is in the right place, (wanting to adopt a bird who has lost it's home), you already own thousands of $ in "gear" (cages, perches, toys, etc.), you have the skill, experience and, probably biggest of all, there is a parrot shaped hole in your heart and home aching to be filled -- but the rescue requires 3 to 6 MONTHS of supervised visits (requiring a great deal of time and $ in travel), classes you have to pay for that may or may not be the most current knowledge on behavior, diet and training (god forbid you mention a trainer you have worked with or like that the rescue has a professional grudge against!), and disclosures that have been down right silly and invasive?

I agree compatibility and mutual interest is vital in adopting parrots. But we all know it doesn't take very long to know one way or another. If you're paying attention, you can tell very, very quickly. It certainly doesn't take 3 to 6 months.

I recently met a lovely 20ish yr old YNA who's level of training was unknown, he did not step up but was docile, calm and did not display any fear or aggression as he hung out on the perch while I was interviewed. After spending all afternoon with him and the woman who ran the rescue, she finally disclosed they wanted $3800 for him. Which seemed absurd given I can get a baby from a breeder for less! When I very politely pointed that out, I was essentially shown the door, thankyouverymuch, buh-bye.

Ironically, I think rescue's hyper-vigilance helps drive the parrot breeding market. In trying to do the best for these wonderful creatures, rescues make it so difficult to adopt, many people just throw up their hands and seek out a breeder or an individual who is "selling" their bird.

The point of all of this is I think there is a balance to be found. If you're turning away REALLY good candidates because they're outside of your arbitrary circle, or drawing the process out 3 - 6 MONTHS, requiring more and more hoops to be cleared along the way, asking a premium in "rehoming fees" - justified by the ridiculous idea that if you can't afford $$$, then you can't afford to properly care for the bird - while more and more birds are surrendered to your facility, you have to ask, are you REALLY doing the birds the service you think you are? Is your goal to get the birds into homes or run a zoo/aviary?

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
You're writing sounds much like mine as being straight and to the point . And as a result, you may not like my response here. Consider taking several steps back, several deep breaths and read your Post from the vantage point of a three-party observer. You may find that you're expectations and their wants being at vast odds with each other. From their position, placing major road blocks in place quickly separates out the I want a Parrot today from those who are interested in providing a forever home.

Your area maybe an exception or my area maybe be over priced, but a YNA chick is currently in the 4000 to 5000 dollar range from a Breeder that will not release the Parrot until it has fledged. 3800 hundred for a Healthy YNA is a deal in this area. Money seems to be a major point in your discussion. What is common in the market and what one is willing to pay can sit a the base of the discussion. Maybe a Parrot is not a good choice at this moment based on your market. breeders in todays market that are selling below a given point, likely are providing Parrots that are not yet weaned.

Sorry your are not finding what you want.

OP
Ldy_BlueBird

Ldy_BlueBird

Jun 10, 2022
Boulder, Colorado
Parrots
Bleu (m/rip) CAG
You're writing sounds much like mine as being straight and to the point . And as a result, you may not like my response here. Consider taking several steps back, several deep breaths and read your Post from the vantage point of a three-party observer. You may find that you're expectations and their wants being at vast odds with each other. From their position, placing major road blocks in place quickly separates out the I want a Parrot today from those who are interested in providing a forever home.

Your area maybe an exception or my area maybe be over priced, but a YNA chick is currently in the 4000 to 5000 dollar range from a Breeder that will not release the Parrot until it has fledged. 3800 hundred for a Healthy YNA is a deal in this area. Money seems to be a major point in your discussion. What is common in the market and what one is willing to pay can sit a the base of the discussion. Maybe a Parrot is not a good choice at this moment based on your market. breeders in todays market that are selling below a given point, likely are providing Parrots that are not yet weaned.

Sorry your are not finding what you want.
I see your point and I think you're right. A step, or two, back is probably a very good idea. When things seem too complicated or too xyz, in my experience, it's usually best to just sit down, read a book and wait until things become more clear.

Thank you for that very wise and insightful bit of feedback.

mobayrasta

Apr 28, 2020
I know this is not any help to your current situation but my adoption process so far has been excellent. I have gone through the Phoenix Landing Foundation which unfortunately does not service Colorado. I had been looking for a couple of years before I found them. Because of COVID all required classes are still online and most if not all in-home visits are zoom calls.

Where Phoenix Landing is so good is in it's adoption coordinators. Mine whom service Eastern North Carolina were so awesome in helping me find the right parrot .They talked to me like family. Their rehoming fees are great. $350 for an Amazon, mini Macaw, $500 Macaw or Cockatoo etc. You can't officially adopt the parrot until you foster them for at least two months. They have stern but fair rules and regs for adopting birds which I agree with. It shouldn't be an overnight process but it also wasn't as bad as the DMV by far.

Good luck.

OP
Ldy_BlueBird

Ldy_BlueBird

Jun 10, 2022
Boulder, Colorado
Parrots
Bleu (m/rip) CAG
I know this is not any help to your current situation but my adoption process so far has been excellent. I have gone through the Phoenix Landing Foundation which unfortunately does not service Colorado. I had been looking for a couple of years before I found them. Because of COVID all required classes are still online and most if not all in-home visits are zoom calls.

Where Phoenix Landing is so good is in it's adoption coordinators. Mine whom service Eastern North Carolina were so awesome in helping me find the right parrot .They talked to me like family. Their rehoming fees are great. $350 for an Amazon, mini Macaw, $500 Macaw or Cockatoo etc. You can't officially adopt the parrot until you foster them for at least two months. They have stern but fair rules and regs for adopting birds which I agree with. It shouldn't be an overnight process but it also wasn't as bad as the DMV by far.

Good luck.
Hi ~

Thank you for your encouragement.

I did look into the Phoenix Landing Foundation. As you point out they don't have any services in Colorado, and because of their very strict policies, they were unwilling to work with me in any way. Period. 🤷🏼‍♀️

I have faith the right bird will show up at the right time.

In the meantime I'm bird sitting my friend's Lovebird while she is away for 3 weeks. Oophf! This teeny tiny parrot is flying speed laps around my CAG pace! 🤣

Most Reactions