Looking for suggestions to get my dog to be friendly with my conure

Louzparrot

Aug 28, 2022
Parrots
Green cheeked conure
I think this forum is for giving suggestions, but I am looking for ways to get my small terrier-mix to see the bird as a member of the family, not as prey. The weird thing is that he has been non-aggressive and even kind of a pal to birds (including a conure) in the past. Probably not even 2 years ago, he respected The Beak and never chased or attacked any companion birds. He is older and hasn't shared our house with an avian sibling recently and he now reacts when she flies or flaps her wings in her cage. I have kept them safely separated, to be safe. Experimentally I have tried letting Rocket (conure) have free flight and range of the living room whilst the dog is "caged" in his kennel. This may be helping, as Rocket came right up to the dog, very boldly and curiously. Evidently Rocket was very confident in her safety. The dog didn't show aggression from within the kennel. He was interested and sniffed and licked at Rocket. I have been told that licking can precede biting in dogs. I have to keep her safe, but wonder if a reader can tell me how they have introduced interspecies pets, and hopefully get them to bond. Even if they aren't going to bond, at least I hope they can peacefully ignore each other!
Thanks for any help!

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I would not allow my bird to interact with a terrier. I lived with terriers once; my Pionus got out and ran across the floor and the terrier shot after her. I think this ratting or hunting behaviors is quick and instinctive; and it’s impossible to guarantee your dog won’t react and go after your bird.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
“See my bird as one of the family, not prey”

This is unfortunately the wrong objective; youre anthropomorphizing woth this statement, and sets you up for failure. Youre objective is to reduce prey drive.

You cant eliminate prey drive, you just cant. The biggest tact you have is to work on training impulse control, things like “leave it”, “drip it”.

However, because your birds life is on the line, if you're serious about this, you really should engage a professional dog trainer to help you with this training. They will be able to guide you through training in a way that is highly effective, AND 100% safe for your bird.

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
Hmm you can re direct the the prey drive. Had a hunting dog who would find sick and injured animals and bring someone to the animal ( he found a crow who flew into a tree and the crow could not walk and was disoriented). He just did this on his own , he was a sensitive soul who is greatly missed. He had a pet mouse who he loved too.

Now I have a terrier who at first would bark at birds but now lives peacefully with them. Have a cat(she is afraid of the big birds) who again leaves ALL my birds alone. Would I leave any prey animal alone with a predator (cat dog) nope. Everyone is well fed and taken care of and all have tons of toys. Nobody is hungry and unstimulated. Their needs are met.

My terrier also sees me nurse little animals I find and helps me. When we take care of baby animals she gets up everytime for the nightly feedings. She is a very caring soul who wants to help.

When I first brought a bird home I had to just keep correcting the undesirable behavior and rewarding desirable behavior but it also depends on the animals too. I watched alot of Cesar Mulan growing up (do not agree with everything but implement some his techniques of the two fingers and the sound for no).

Most Reactions

Latest posts