Jane311

Feb 18, 2014
I have had birds for 20 plus years, I have three cockateals a canary
and had a wonderful Quaker Parrott for 20 years who just passed away
today. I took him to the Vets to get his nails and beak trimmed. I was in
the waiting room when the Vet called me into a room and said the had
trimmed Peppy's nails and had put him back in his cage. They were getting
ready to trim his beak when they picked him up again he quit breathing
they said they did everything to try and save him to no avail.

I am so upset he was my whole life, how can a bird that is happy and
healthy die so suddenly. He was used to going to the vets as he goes
every month and enjoys it. I don't know but I feel the vet tech did something to stress him out What do you think. ? I Plan to go back
tomorrow and talk to the main vet who deals only with birds. I have
even thought about contacting a lawyer.:green2:

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I'm sorry for your loss of Peppy.....but he might of have a heart condition and had a heart attack while they were restraining him to do tge nails and such. Or the vet tech may have done something to cause it. Should always ve present when getting nails done and such. When I bring my birds in I am always present to view what is being done. Again I am truly sorry for your loss..... :(

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I am also so sorry for your loss:( Please let us know what happens after you speak to the main vet.

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
I am so sorry for you sudden loss. You must be heartbroken.

please let us know the outcome of your visit.

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
I'm so sorry for your loss. You could get an autopsy done. It might give you some closure.

jenphilly

Oct 15, 2013
Lehigh Valley, PA
Parrots
BE2 (Ivory), B&G Macaw (Max), Budgie Group,
Granbirds- tiels; GCC (Monkey & Monster); Sun Conure (Loki); Bare Eyed Too (Folger); Evil Green Monster YNA (Kelly); B&G (Titan)
Jane, I am so sorry to hear about Peppy.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
I'm so sorry to hear about your sad loss of Peppy. I'm a little surprised the vet didn't suggest a necropsy since it happened in the office. It might give you some peace to know what caused Peppy's sudden death. Again I am terribly sorry for your loss.

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
SE Florida and Sullivan County, NY
Parrots
Cody-Blu, female Blue-Crowned Conure, Hatched - (approx) June 1, 2014, in a South Florida tree.

Pritti (Cherry-Head Conure) -- Fly in Peace my beautiful boy. Forever I'll love you.
Such a tragic thing. I would surely have a meeting with head vet. Could her oxygen been cut off or any force that could have damaged neck
, etc. blessings to u sweetie. 20 years together ... It mist be very difficult right now.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I'm so sorry to hear of this! Did you have a talk with the head vet yet? Are you going to get an autopsy? It doesn't make sense that he was normal and going strong, and then all of a sudden. My condolences.

Most Reactions