Lost my girl through stupidity

tonycgi

Feb 1, 2022
Parrots
cockatiel
This was horrible!
I put my Alice, a sun conure, on her cage and went downstairs to do some stuff.
I was doing some cleaning and headed upstairs to clean the bathroom and discovered Alice in the toilet bowl, drowned.
She's had problems and couldn't fly far, but somehow she made it accross the hall and landed in the bowl.

I'm heartbroken, I normally close the bowl , but I was cleaning and forgot to. I still can't believe it, I feel so bad, I loved her so much.
I can't stop blaming myself.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I'm so very sorry for your loss of Alice. This is a mistake any of us could make, please don't blame yourself. It's obvious how much you loved Alice, and I know she loved you in the same way.
I hope that soon the hurtful memories will start to be replaced by the happy ones of your life together.
My heart goes out to you.
Fly free, Beautiful Alice, you will always be loved, missed and remembered.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I'm so sorry what an awful shock.
I whish you didn't have to go through this. You know it was not your fault , not at all.

Id love to see a picture of Alice if you want to share.

I had my budgie in a hospital Cage. He had received antibiotics and recovered. But spooked and hit something ended up not being able to recover from the brain damage.

All I could think was how unfair. We love them and give them the best care we can.

OP
T

tonycgi

Feb 1, 2022
Parrots
cockatiel
Thanks Laura,

I'm sorry to hear about your budgie, unfair doesn't describe the depth your loss.

About six months ago Alice was falling on her side and couldn't fly at all. Scared the hell out of me. The vet said she probably hit her head and may or may not recover, but she did to a large degree. I didn't think she could make it to the bathroom, though.

D

Deleted member 42416

This was horrible!
I put my Alice, a sun conure, on her cage and went downstairs to do some stuff.
I was doing some cleaning and headed upstairs to clean the bathroom and discovered Alice in the toilet bowl, drowned.
She's had problems and couldn't fly far, but somehow she made it accross the hall and landed in the bowl.

I'm heartbroken, I normally close the bowl , but I was cleaning and forgot to. I still can't believe it, I feel so bad, I loved her so much.
I can't stop blaming myself.
Toni,
This was an absolute freak accident. I just lost a young sun conure 2 weeks ago because I didn’t pull down the shades and he flew into a window.

Please do not blame yourself. It is impossible to account for every danger and possibility.

I know you are feeling mortified and in shock. You must forgive yourself. AND, if you are a person of faith, you know you will meet again.

My sincerest condolences to you and Alice!

Icca

Feb 1, 2022
I think there is something in parrot people that we know how special and fragile having a bird is. And with all the thinking and planning we do to make them happy it's even harder when something happens. We always trying to think of everything.
Hang in there it's going to be ruff but it has to get better some time

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Don't hate yourself, please, be proud of yourself for having given her such a beautiful life while you could. I'm very sorry. We're here for you, I hope you're ok ❤️

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
You have my deepest condolences for Alice's passing. Tragic accidents occur despite our most conscientious efforts. Please allow yourself time to grieve and focus on loving, positive times with Alice.

OP
T

tonycgi

Feb 1, 2022
Parrots
cockatiel
Don't hate yourself, please, be proud of yourself for having given her such a beautiful life while you could. I'm very sorry. We're here for you, I hope you're ok ❤️

You have my deepest condolences for Alice's passing. Tragic accidents occur despite our most conscientious efforts. Please allow yourself time to grieve and focus on loving, positive times with Alice.
Thanks Scott and foxgloveparrot, Your thoughts help quite a bit.
I don't know how I'm replying to both of you , this board has me a little confused.

Most Reactions

Latest posts