Loud squawks

ifnlovebirds

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 23, 2022
Parrots
Eclectus, conure, and cockatiel
BTW the noise level or sounds do not bother me. I just wanna make sure they aren’t something that I should be concerned about.

I know every bird is different but I know usually ekkies are more on the “quiet” side of bird noise frequencies. He was completely silent for about two weeks after bringing him home, then after he does loud SQUAWKS when he’s eating, when he’s playing, when he’s on me, when he’s doing nothing. He’s constantly squawking I’m confused on why. (He also only does it when i’m around him) I thought they were squawks of wanting feedings, but he’s usually very full and he is fully weaned (he rejects formula).

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.MOV
    1,010.2 KB

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
So your little guy is just a baby. He's learning the art of communication, and he's choosing to converse with you. I'd be inclined to talk back to him in a calm happy voice. Hopefully in time he'll learn better, more pleasant sounds to use in his conversation. In the grand scheme of ekkies, that's not loud at all. Kinda cute if you ask me.

Alternatively, you could try talking/praising/rewarding when he's NOT squawking, so he learns that being quiet is a good thing too. BTW, you have a very handsome boy there. What's his name?

OP
ifnlovebirds

ifnlovebirds

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 23, 2022
Parrots
So your little guy is just a baby. He's learning the art of communication, and he's choosing to converse with you. I'd be inclined to talk back to him in a calm happy voice. Hopefully in time he'll learn better, more pleasant sounds to use in his conversation. In the grand scheme of ekkies, that's not loud at all. Kinda cute if you ask me.

Alternatively, you could try talking/praising/rewarding when he's NOT squawking, so he learns that being quiet is a good thing too. BTW, you have a very handsome boy there. What's his name?
Thank you!! His name is Yoshi :))

Oh alright, that’s good to know it’s not concerning sounds. Haha you’re right it’s not as loud as the ones he does when i’m outside of the house and I call his name. Those calls are… something else.

I was worried that talking back to him positively in a calm nice voice would encourage his squawks.

OP
ifnlovebirds

ifnlovebirds

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 23, 2022
Parrots
Sounds like you have a Parrot that likes to keep up conversations with you, sometimes called contact calls. Assure you are keep-up on a lively conversation. One of our Eclectus Experts will stop by and help regarding, what your Male is trying to tell /ask you!!
That’s so cute to know he just wants to engage in convos w/ me :))) that makes me so happy. Thank you for your reply!!

Most Reactions

Latest posts