Lovebird and GCC?

veimar

Feb 5, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
gcc Parry; lovebird Coco; 3 budgies (Tesla, Franky and Cesar); cockatiel Murzik, red rump parakeet girl Onyx
Hi everyone,
Does any of you have lovebirds and conures?
How do they get along?
I have my rotten-spoiled baby, 6 mo old GCC Parry :D, and I wanted another bird or two. I was looking for parakeets, but one lady offered me to adopt a 6 mo old very shy lovebird (American Cinnamon), and I'm so excited to get her on Saturday. I'm getting a cage tomorrow and setting up a place for the quarantine. I'm just a bit nervous how would they get along with Parry. He's been always VERY interested in other birds and wants to follow every bird he sees outside or on the computer screen - that is a reason I'm actually getting another bird. :)
Please share your experiences!!! Thank you!

I'll be the proud parront of an Indian Ringneck on the 28th! I was always scared Avery would hate other birds. She never reacted to any on my laptop or iPad, and she can get very territorial over me. One of my friends happens to own a Quaker and a GCC, and it just so happened her brother dropped his GCC off for the week we planned our Birdy play date.

We were nervous, but at the end of the day Avery ended up being a huuuuge suck and just wanted to preen and love EVERY bird! It was so cute, but sad because they kept rejecting her as they were bonded, ahhaha.

That being said, you'll never know how two birds will take until they meet and become accustomed to each other. Don't be surprised if they end up hating one another or ignoring each other. My friend's Quaker Hercules is very hand shy and skittish, so she hates being by other birds and freaks out if any come too close, despite knowing the GCC for nearly 5 months now.

You'll just have to wait and see! And I highly recommend doing quarantine with any new fids unless you know 100% that your new baby is disease free.

Thank you! Oh, sure I set up a space for quarantine in the bedroom - I'm not turning off my heat (it's still in 40s here), but at least they won't be in one room. :) I wish I had two-story house, but I have to manage on one level. :)

That's great! So exciting too. Be sure to show us lots of pictures of your new lovie!

I have quite a mix of birds and for the most part they all get along.

my Pineapple conure Kahlua gets along very well with my 5 lovebirds, but she is the dominant one.
my other GCC Flare, is always tormented by my male lovebird Halo.

you won't know until you introduce them together, which I would do very slowly over a few weeks to months.

Thank you! For the first month they would only hear each other because of quarantine, but they I'll introduce them slowly. I hope it's gonna be fine! :) I play for Parry lovebird chirping on youtube and he gets so excited and chirps along! LOL :D He flies to my laptop and watches them. He doesn't really show any aggression, just excitement.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back