Lovebird not feeding babies

Jamie025

Nov 29, 2021
Parrots
Two lovebirds
Hello,
I'm Jamie and the owner of two Lovebirds. They recently hatched their first babies ever. It kinda went wrong from the start. The female laid the first egg on the ground instead of the nest. When i put it in the nest (with gloves) she laid the rest of them in there. There were four eggs in total. All of them hatched. But when they were born they wouldn't feed them. She still sat on the nest and kept them worm but she didn't do anything... In the end they all died... I don't know what could have possiblity caused that... Please help. I don't want this to happen again if she lays new eggs.

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
You may want to take the eggs out so they will not hatch. Replace the eggs with wooden ones. If you decide you want to continue to breed you need to research how to care for lovebird chick's feeding and maintain warmth and humidity. You need to have a vet or breeder showbyou how to feed the chick's before they hatch. Starving to death is an awful way to die.

Kitekeeper

Jun 19, 2021
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Parrots
Budgerigar (Bud), Pacific Parrotlet (Sam), Roseicollis lovebird (BJ and Turq), Linneolated parakeet (Charlie and Emma)
Hi Jamie,

I am sorry to hear that, it is always sad to loose a baby, even more an entire clutch.

This sort of thing can happen when the parents are unexperienced and having their first ever clutch. It is quite possible they will be much better in their next clutch, consider giving it a try.

If you choose to try again, don´t be alarmed if the baby is not fed in the first 24 hours. After that, they will eat very small portions but will digest it very quickly, so it is possible you might not be able to observe their craw full of food until their third or fourth day of life.

If you want to help the female, you could try to handfeed the baby and put it back in the nest to allow the parents to feed it too. Doing this you can help the baby to survive a little longer, enough for the parents to learn how to feed their own babies.

If you want to have more information, please read the thread I wrote about my experience breeding lovebirds.

https://www.parrotforums.com/thread...t-of-a-clutch-from-egg-to-hand-raising.91639/

Good luck!!

OP
J

Jamie025

Nov 29, 2021
Parrots
Two lovebirds
Hi Jamie,

I am sorry to hear that, it is always sad to loose a baby, even more an entire clutch.

This sort of thing can happen when the parents are unexperienced and having their first ever clutch. It is quite possible they will be much better in their next clutch, consider giving it a try.

If you choose to try again, don´t be alarmed if the baby is not fed in the first 24 hours. After that, they will eat very small portions but will digest it very quickly, so it is possible you might not be able to observe their craw full of food until their third or fourth day of life.

If you want to help the female, you could try to handfeed the baby and put it back in the nest to allow the parents to feed it too. Doing this you can help the baby to survive a little longer, enough for the parents to learn how to feed their own babies.

If you want to have more information, please read the thread I wrote about my experience breeding lovebirds.

https://www.parrotforums.com/thread...t-of-a-clutch-from-egg-to-hand-raising.91639/

Good luck!!
Thank u very much. Right now they don't seem like they are planning on having more children but if comes to that i will follow your tips and hope for the best!

OP
J

Jamie025

Nov 29, 2021
Parrots
Two lovebirds
You may want to take the eggs out so they will not hatch. Replace the eggs with wooden ones. If you decide you want to continue to breed you need to research how to care for lovebird chick's feeding and maintain warmth and humidity. You need to have a vet or breeder showbyou how to feed the chick's before they hatch. Starving to death is an awful way to die.
Thank u fo your reply. I actually am planning on letting them breed again. I'll also get in contact with my vet to give the chicks the best chances they can get.

Most Reactions

Latest posts