Lukah falling off perches

kellie

May 11, 2013
Arizona
Parrots
Lukah- Sun Conure, 10 months old!
Hey! So this morning Lukah woke me up 3 times by falling onto the bottom of his cage. He didn't fall too far, I'm just worried about the falling in general. All three times I came out into the living room and turned on the light to check he didn't have anything bleeding or broken- he was fine. Then when I was in the shower this morning I heard him fall again. I rushed out and again, he was fine, at least not injured. I think that it may have been because I had a ladder hooked to the outside of his cage by his food/top perch and when trying to climb the rungs may have upset his balance and caused him to fall. It may also be because his nails have gotten rather long... (I had a bad nail trimming episode a month ago and haven't cut them since, though I think a few of them definitely need it). His poop looks normal, he is eating as usual, not poofed up, is just as active, if not more, and has been climbing around his cage like crazy all morning and has also been especially affectionate this morning.

I have two feelings- one, that something is off and he is trying to hide it, though that seems unlikely with his regular eating, poop, activity level etc.

or two- that after he fell the first time and I came out to check on him, he realized that falling = kellie running over and giving attention! After the third fall when I woke up for good, I stayed with him for over an hour and he was completely fine. When I left to take a shower, sure enough he fell again. Now I've been in the room with him again for nearly 30 minutes and still no falling.

What do you guys think? And I know that in the end I should take him to a vet and birds hide sickness and falling can be a display of loss of balance and yadda yadda, but vets are expensive and I think that he is probably fine in the end as he is not displaying any other symptoms and does not seem (apart from the falling) dizzy or unbalanced in any way.

So any thoughts you can give me to ease or increase my worry would be much appreciated!!

brianlinkles

Aug 17, 2011
Oakwood, Ohio
Parrots
i am the mom of three parrots:
Dorothy- African grey (cag)
Bowie- blue and gold macaw
Nellie- hyacinth macaw
Reggie- hyacinth macaw
Marnie- white bellied caique
Well, I am not sure it could be so many reasons some of which you have stated. However losing balance is a sign of Borna virus. Many birds with this disease lose balance. I am not saying that this is it it is just something I would test for. I know vets are expensive however I think that it is important that you bring him in for a check up.

ShellyBorg

Apr 8, 2013
Redding, CA
Parrots
TAG Spirit,RLA Danny,Senegal Damon, Parrotlet Opal, B&G Paris
Can I see a shot of his feet so we can rule out if its his nail. Or can you tell me are they starting to circle?

OP
K

kellie

May 11, 2013
Arizona
Parrots
They are starting to curve under. I'm almost positive they are overgrown. I can't post a picture unfortunately because I am at work but I think if I put him on the flat ground they would keep the pads of his toes from touching the ground. I think it might be that because he doesn't seem unbalanced, he more of seems cautious of his footing. Once he's in one spot he doesn't look unbalanced. Would filin his nails cause the quick to recede or do I have to trim them for that?

OP
K

kellie

May 11, 2013
Arizona
Parrots
Well hopefully it's not borna virus cause there's no cure to that yet!

ShellyBorg

Apr 8, 2013
Redding, CA
Parrots
Get his nails trimmed ASAP. With them overgrown he can not grip right or walk right. If you have had issues in the past have a vet do it but ask if they will show you how so you can maintain them.

OP
K

kellie

May 11, 2013
Arizona
Parrots
I can trim them fine, I've just been too busy for it lately. So filing won't in any way make the quick recede?

ShellyBorg

Apr 8, 2013
Redding, CA
Parrots
Filing that much nail away will take lots of time and will be very uncomfortable for your bird. Think of him walking in reverse high heels right not. All his weight is on the "heel" of his feet. It hurts and makes it uncomfortable to more around. I would just trim, get it done. Then file to maintain. Make sure you have blood stop on hand or you nip back really slow and look for pink.

OP
K

kellie

May 11, 2013
Arizona
Parrots
Okay:) I will trim them. Thanks for your help! I've trimmed them a few times and keep baking powder on hand in case of bleeding!

Most Reactions