Lump on toe

m_yael

Mar 15, 2013
Hi, my green quaker has a lump in one of his back toes and made his nail fell down. It seems it doesn't bother him, but i'm worried. Is it dangerous?
I thought the lump could be a some kind of abscess but a few weeks ago he was on antibiotic treatment due to a respiratory syndrome. Any ideas?

mrgoogls

May 6, 2012
Parrots
1 male Quaker-Cooper
i cant help based on just saying "a lump" but i agree take him/her to a vet asap!

Jtbirds

Banned
Banned
Mar 6, 2013
Pennsylvania
I'd say take him to the vet and if it was an access it would be purulent, meaning filled with pus. Ether way pus filled or not it could be dangerous. If it is an access then it's painful or it could be a tumor of some kind.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I'd say take him to the vet and if it was an access it would be purulent, meaning filled with pus. Ether way pus filled or not it could be dangerous. If it is an access then it's painful or it could be a tumor of some kind.

Hmm.... ...I know I'm a wee bit late with my response. But Justin, can you please show me what an ACCESS on a parrot looks like???

I know an abscess should always be checked out by a vet. :54:

Last edited:

Greenwing

Mar 8, 2013
Parrots
GW , BG , DYH , YN, CAG
I have seen reptiles develop lump on there digits and loose a nail or partial digit..when it hasn't been due to mechanical injury it was do to the fact they let the animal walk on the carpet and it picked up a nylon thread that cut off the circulation and the digit fell off..

Take a good look.. Bare in mind a small nylon fiber will be extremely difficult to see without close inspection and if it's swollen you probably won't be able to see then..

Good luck

Jtbirds

Banned
Banned
Mar 6, 2013
Pennsylvania

Hmm.... ...I know I'm a wee bit late with my response. But Justin, can you please show me what an ACCESS on a parrot looks like???

I know an abscess should always be checked out by a vet. :54:

Lol Wendy auto fill is a son of a gun you know it;).... You know what I meant smarty lol. I usually catch them, but I guess this time I didnt so free range for the comments lol!

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
If it's not normal and you don't know what it is, it doesn't hurt to get it checked out. I have a 16-18 year old bourke parakeet with cancer on her right foot. She had laser surgery to remove the mass, although I wanted to have her foot amputated instead. Vet didn't feel it was necessary, although at the time we didn't know it was cancerous (took a sample and came back fine). Two years later and it's grown back, and then some.

Image before surgery
ef1619a0.jpg

After she had the mass removed and the bandage. There was still some gauze left on her foot that fell off shortly after...
4dc74ae8.jpg

I think this one was taken a year or so after surgery
d0d89cb2.jpg

And a somewhat more recent image...
BK_zpsae7f614a.png

She was 14-16 years old when she went through surgery, and I cannot put her through that kind of stress again. I was afraid she wasn't going to make it through the night. As it stands, she's past her expected lifespan and her health seems to be deteriorating slowly due to age.

First night after surgery...
a7a52db1.jpg

I'm not saying that your quaker has cancer, as I would doubt that. I would lean more towards an injury or the circulation to the toe getting cut off than anything else at the moment.... but when in doubt, it doesn't hurt to find out.

Most Reactions

Latest posts