so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I think I final understand those people that say not to respond to a bite.

But there are 2 kinds of bites.

Angry / defensive bites. This kind of bite you just have to respond to, unless your skin is made of iron. This bite starts out HARD. Your first response is “make it stop” and “get off me”. The trick is not to over-respond and to ah remove the body part without causing more damage to yourself and not injuring the bird.

It’s the second kind of bite that you don’t respond to and I was just introduced to it through Luna my Green Cheek Amazon.

I have been working with her and trying to get her to step up with no success until now. Hands just haven’t worked she only backs away.

When using a short perch I had limited success. She did not stay on long and she would shuffle along the perch to bite my fingers holding the perch.

I knew from the beginning that Luna was not biting out of fear but more as a means of testing me. I can’t really explain it but just knew she was not trying to hurt me even if it did hurt some.

But We had a breakthrough.

Luna landed on my iPad while I was playing with it. She bit my fingers 3 or 4 times. First very gently, then with gradually increasing pressure. When it got to the point of being too painful I said “ouch, that hurt”. And she stopped biting.
After that she did not bite anymore even when my fingers were less than an inch away from her toes.

So now I think I must have the most unusual and most expensive transfer perch anyone has thought to use.

My iPad.:04:

She willingly steps up on it and lets me care her back to her cage.

I can’t help wondering if the original owner had hit or injured her after getting bitten. It would explain why she has been so frightened of hands getting anywhere close to her.

:green1:I know I feel blessed to have this gentle sole trusting me more and more.:smile015:

texsize

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
That is one high tech transfer perch you have there!

Congrats on connecting what she was trying to communicate.

As you have so well stated, rehomed Parrots come with baggage and we have noway to know that until we begin putting together the whys of different behavior as it deviates from normal.

You're a True Amazona Wes!

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
A very big step up!

I shudder to think how many parronts woefully lack your perception. In many cases they and the bird never score a breakthrough. :(

Oliver17

Oct 2, 2017
Midwest,USA
Parrots
Green Cheek Named Garth
I’m jealous��, but also look forward to Oliver and my break through��
Congratulations

Most Reactions

Latest posts