Macaw Was Awful to Previous Owner During Visit :(

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
Sorry if others have already said this. But certain dog breeds are hard to forgive. Someone I know gave up an Akita ( the new home adored the Akita) and the Akita never forgot... he would ignore the previous owner and turn his back to the previous owner ... I think they remember:/

bonitabird59

Apr 12, 2022
When I took over care of my grandma's amazon Bonita(she was 60~yrs old at the time, lived with my grandmother the entire time), she bonded right to me. She watched me grow up and grew very fond of me so my grandma let me take her when she was no longer able to take care of her anymore. When my grandma visited after a few weeks, Bonita was AWFUL. Screaming, biting and alarm-screaming. It didn't stop until my grandma left. They were attached at the hip for over 50 years and it only took about 2 weeks for her to completely turn on her. She was bonded to me until the end at the ripe age of 70 and didn't let anyone get close. But at the same time, if this gives you hope, Bonita HATED my father. Like, violent hatred. She always wanted to attack him and would even fake nice so he would pick her up and she would flip a switch and attack him. Bonita grew up with my dad too so it was an unwarranted hatred but anyway- when my grandma would go on vacation and leave Bonita in the care of my dad, she liked him! So what I think I'm kinda getting at here is that some birds can only bond/focus on one person at a time. I think it has something to do with them wanting to protect their person so they just yap and bite until the other people leave. I'm really sorry about Rain. I hope things get better.

MacawLoverOf3

Jun 23, 2013
Parrots
Jody
Kalea
Donovan
If you just got her about 3 months ago or so, that really was not enough time to truly settle down in her new home, it is still all new to her and with the blindness, I do not think that helps. Some birds have no issues with seeing a previous owner and others do not. Is it because they fear being taken away again? Good chance that it is. Did you even tell her before her previous family came that they were coming for a visit, not to take her away, but just to visit or did they just show up (in her opinion) out of the blue?

When I go shopping, I always tell them how long I will be gone, if it will be a while or just a little bit. If I am gone for a couple of days, I will start talking about it about a week before, telling them when I will be leaving and for how long. I hear so many stories from other owners that when they returned home their birds ignore them or even bit them. I always get big welcome home Mom when I return and I believe it is because they know what to expect.

OP
M

Mom2Rain

Apr 27, 2022
Parrots
Greenwing Macaw
Sorry if others have already said this. But certain dog breeds are hard to forgive. Someone I know gave up an Akita ( the new home adored the Akita) and the Akita never forgot... he would ignore the previous owner and turn his back to the previous owner ... I think they remember:/
That's because they are super smart. I love that breed.

OP
M

Mom2Rain

Apr 27, 2022
Parrots
Greenwing Macaw
When I took over care of my grandma's amazon Bonita(she was 60~yrs old at the time, lived with my grandmother the entire time), she bonded right to me. She watched me grow up and grew very fond of me so my grandma let me take her when she was no longer able to take care of her anymore. When my grandma visited after a few weeks, Bonita was AWFUL. Screaming, biting and alarm-screaming. It didn't stop until my grandma left. They were attached at the hip for over 50 years and it only took about 2 weeks for her to completely turn on her. She was bonded to me until the end at the ripe age of 70 and didn't let anyone get close. But at the same time, if this gives you hope, Bonita HATED my father. Like, violent hatred. She always wanted to attack him and would even fake nice so he would pick her up and she would flip a switch and attack him. Bonita grew up with my dad too so it was an unwarranted hatred but anyway- when my grandma would go on vacation and leave Bonita in the care of my dad, she liked him! So what I think I'm kinda getting at here is that some birds can only bond/focus on one person at a time. I think it has something to do with them wanting to protect their person so they just yap and bite until the other people leave. I'm really sorry about Rain. I hope things get better.
You're probably right. Some birds are only 'one person' birds. Rain tolerates my husband and I enough for a step up, or occasional head scratch...but she is a total love bug with my daughter. Its too bad.

OP
M

Mom2Rain

Apr 27, 2022
Parrots
Greenwing Macaw
If you just got her about 3 months ago or so, that really was not enough time to truly settle down in her new home, it is still all new to her and with the blindness, I do not think that helps. Some birds have no issues with seeing a previous owner and others do not. Is it because they fear being taken away again? Good chance that it is. Did you even tell her before her previous family came that they were coming for a visit, not to take her away, but just to visit or did they just show up (in her opinion) out of the blue?

When I go shopping, I always tell them how long I will be gone, if it will be a while or just a little bit. If I am gone for a couple of days, I will start talking about it about a week before, telling them when I will be leaving and for how long. I hear so many stories from other owners that when they returned home their birds ignore them or even bit them. I always get big welcome home Mom when I return and I believe it is because they know what to expect.
Honestly, I didn't explain the situation to Rain because it never occurred to me that she would grasp that this was strictly a visit and not rehome. They can DO that? That's amazing!

I announced her 'friends were here' when they arrived. I truly believed she would be happy to hear the girl's voice because of how close they had been (according to the father). We expected her to perk up and shower them with the affection she shows my daughter. I even warned my daughter that Rain may act out for her in the company of these people-because that is her previous family and she will most likely be very happy to hear them again. Wow was I wrong.

We were shocked to see her hostility because she had been so affectionate to the previous family the day we picked her up.

Anyway....we feel awful for them but Rain is very happy with my daughter and nicely settled into her new routine. At least there is that.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
I think as far as Rain's current wellbeing goes you've figured it out and she has a really great life with your family!

It's surely difficult to see how she reacts to situations outside of her awareness..... But you are giving her an excellent life and even if she struggled with hearing voices she loved before, you can reassure her she is staying with you and that you all love her very much.

I think it will work out ok ❤️

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Oh gosh, I keep forgetting she can’t see. That can must make it more confusing and unexpected.

I also tell my birds if I’m going anywhere (like a trip) and if they’re coming along. I try to remember to say hi and goodbye with each entrance and exit from the apartment but I might not always remember. I’ve found my birds understand quite a lot, and if they don’t understand the words they get the tone.

bonitabird59

Apr 12, 2022
You're probably right. Some birds are only 'one person' birds. Rain tolerates my husband and I enough for a step up, or occasional head scratch...but she is a total love bug with my daughter. Its too bad.
Many birds are one person birds, but especially the bigger species of parrots tend to be one person birds. I wouldn't be too hard on yourself, I'm sure at some point Rain will have a turn around. Is there any way she would be able to meet the family again by herself? Like I was saying previously, Bonita hated my dad unless my dad was the only one there. Sometimes having all of their favorite people in a room makes them believe that they have to 'protect' their favorite person from being taken away from them. I wonder if a one on one with their daughter would do any better, but I would wait upwards of a year before making any more visitations.

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
Having spent most of my working life in Animal Welfare and Rescue, I believe that the more intelligent animals, (parrots, dogs, horses, cats, etc.) know exactly what is going on. And can hold their anger and resentment to being given away after loving a former guardian or family. That is not always the case, as said by previous posters. I had a friend who went to prison, and I kept his Amazon until he got out six years later. She was already familiar with me, and the transition was very smooth. During his time away, he would call on the phone and I would let her listen to his voice. When he came home, it was like he was only gone a little while. This bird went crazy when she saw him. Kissing him and covering him with her wings. We were unsure what her reaction would be. You can never tell how these creatures, or any others, will react.

OP
M

Mom2Rain

Apr 27, 2022
Parrots
Greenwing Macaw
Having spent most of my working life in Animal Welfare and Rescue, I believe that the more intelligent animals, (parrots, dogs, horses, cats, etc.) know exactly what is going on. And can hold their anger and resentment to being given away after loving a former guardian or family. That is not always the case, as said by previous posters. I had a friend who went to prison, and I kept his Amazon until he got out six years later. She was already familiar with me, and the transition was very smooth. During his time away, he would call on the phone and I would let her listen to his voice. When he came home, it was like he was only gone a little while. This bird went crazy when she saw him. Kissing him and covering him with her wings. We were unsure what her reaction would be. You can never tell how these creatures, or any others, will react.
She is clearly angry. I don't want to push her. Thank you for sharing.

MacawLoverOf3

Jun 23, 2013
Parrots
Jody
Kalea
Donovan
It is also a possibility that she was scared that she would have to leave her new family that she has adjusted to and has come to love and fearful that she would be taken away another time. I would think it would be terrifying for them to be rehomed, they don't know the why's of what is going on and what is happening when they left the first family. Add the blindness and I would think that would be even harder on any animal, having to learn new people, their habits, how they are handled, the whole ball of wax. Some birds it does not affect them but others - as you have learned, do not react in a good way.

I would contact the previous owners and have a heart to heart talk with them about her reaction to their visit and offer to still keep to the video's and I bet they will not ask for many more.

Most Reactions