macaw with grey?

Filippo

Jun 21, 2012
I have a 14 YO grey. I would like to take a macaw, probabily a greenwing. Since I have just one place to put the cage in the house, do you think it is possible to make them live in the same cage?
I was thinking to buy a separable cage like this (Papageienvoliere XXL Palace - Platinum von Montana Cages - Parrotshop.de - Alles für Ihren Papagei - Spielzeug, Futter, Käfige und Volieren, Freisitze | Montana Cages | Wallace & Jones | Heimtierbedarf für Vögel, Nager, Hunde) so I could use ith in both ways (two small cages/one big cage); but do you think it would be big enough for both parrots?

Safira

Sep 27, 2011
Aberdeen, Md
Parrots
Safira (B&G Macaw)~~ Gracie (CAG) ~ Lucy (CAG)
Honestly? Not with bars as a divider. They may never like each other, you'd have to be prepared for that.

Only half that cage is too small for a green wing.. and with the bars in between, the Grey or the Macaw could easily bite the others toe off. I've seen it happen.

Not only that, but a Grey's dust is not good for a Macaw to breathe all day, every day. I have both, and I have two air filters running to try to help.

I'd do two seperate cages for safety reasons.

cdog

Feb 20, 2012
Newbury Park, CA
Parrots
Sully-2 year old cinnamon and Bella-3 year old normal
breeding pair of gcc, Scooter & BeeBee-Sully and Bella's normal son's, Rosey- Bella and Sully's cinnamon daughter, Ella & Sunny-American budgies
I wouldn't put them together under any circumstance. For one thing the macaw could easily kill the grey, the dust from the grey can give the macaw a respiratory problem and that cage is only big enough for the macaw.
The grey could do serious damage to the macaw too.

So no, you cannot keep both in that cage or any other cage.

MacawGuy

Jun 12, 2012
Indiana
Parrots
B&G Macaw
if u did a cage like that. which i know people that do. on the divider put plexieglass so they cant bite each other

greycloud

Mar 21, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Parrots
Sammy-Umbrella Too-rescued,
Dexter-CAG-rehomed handicapped,
Sterling-CAG-rehomed retired breeder.
Sunshine-12 yo CAG-adopted
A macaw should not be in the same area as a grey just like cdog states. The dust can greatly effect their respiratory systems.

JJones1719

Mar 9, 2011
Media
MD
Parrots
7 Year old SI Eclectus named Guapo, I have a 6 year old GW Macaw named Neleno
Do not put a Grey with a Macaw in the same cage. The GW will kill the grey, the powder the grey puts is also deadly to a Macaw. If they are kept in the same room, make sure they are far apart.Joe

MacawGuy

Jun 12, 2012
Indiana
Parrots
B&G Macaw
im not saying put them together i was stating if u did want to put 2 bird together with a cage like that put the plexirglass on the divider

OP
F

Filippo

Jun 21, 2012
Ok, thank you for the answer. I understand it is impossible.

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
You could do something similar(with plexiglass so they can't bite each other toes) with another powder down parrot. Such as a cockatoo, another gray, and several other birds.

OP
F

Filippo

Jun 21, 2012
Thank you everybody. The alternatives are:

- to put the macaw in an aviary on my balcony (let's say around 2mx1x2h) or a bigger one in my garden that I already have 4mx2x2h, but I think that this could be a problem in winter. In our area there are low temperatures in winter. I am not scared by the absolute temperature level, but by the daily passage between the cold of the outside aviary and the warm of the house and backward, that could be unhealthy. what do you think?

- to put him in the basement: I live on a detached house and the basement is quite healthy, also with windows that provides daylight, but I don't think it's the right choiche.

- to give up on the macaw and stay happy with my grey!

greycloud

Mar 21, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Parrots
Sammy-Umbrella Too-rescued,
Dexter-CAG-rehomed handicapped,
Sterling-CAG-rehomed retired breeder.
Sunshine-12 yo CAG-adopted
It is not impossible to have both but I recommend they be kept in separate cages, across the room from each other and definitely purchase a good air filter. :)

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
No bird should be in a basement, windows or not. Greys are from Africal and Macaws are tropical. The two do not mix for many reasons.

azdesertrhino

Oct 29, 2010
Tucson, AZ
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw
With those limited options it is probably best to stay with the Grey.

Trying to bring another FID in to the picture with limited space might wind up causing health or other issues for both the birds.

Most Reactions