Not new. Just back.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
It's taken me quite awhile to get over the caregiver killing my flock. I was very broken psychologically by that...

Then I had a little mishap with a ladder... and was actually physically broken for awhile. Fractured shoulder, 5 fractured vertebra, 8 fractured ribs, closed head injury... So it's been a rough go. But I'm back.

Those of you who know me, knew I couldn't be "without bird" for very long... they've been such a big part of my live for over a quarter of a century.

A few weeks after my birds died I took in an 11 year old Goffin's 2... we are the third home for that bird. She's very sweet, but he had zero training until I got him. Training her gave me something to focus on other than my grief. I named her SUGAR. She's never been clipped so I harness trained and recalled her instead.

Sarah forced me to go to a parrot rescue/bird shop in the Houston area, thinking it would make me feel better. (It didn't really. Kinda made it worse.) This place takes in rescue/rehomes, and also sells babies. I absolutely fell in love with a Golden Conure... that is one of the largest personality birds I've ever come across... even though she's a total PIA... (VERY SMART, HYPERACTIVE, JEALOUS AS HELL, AND REFUSES TO ACCEPT BOUNDARIES!) She's as sweet as they get, a total love, and a total PIA rolled into one. She will eventually settle down, and be a great bird, but boundary setting has been a challenge with this one... Her name is Mango. He didn't have to be recalled. He is made of velcro.

The house was still very empty without an Amazon in it. So I gave myself a Christmas present. A beautiful BFA which I named Pecker II, after one of the most bonded amazons I ever had... He has the best personality, and is absolutely THE PERFECT amazon... Plays nice with others, entertains himself well, just an absolute love... And he eats what ever you put in front of him. Oddly enough, this bird hatched the day that woman killed my flock.

Then, a few weeks ago, an attorney friend of mine gave me a 9 year old male Eckie... Now, Eckie's are not exactly known to be touchie feelie birds... THIS ONE IS! In fact he has clingy bird syndrome. He is completely velcroed to me. Has been from the minute I opened the travel cage. He had a female, but unfortunately she died from a seizure disorder... and he just wasn't happy. So he called me up and asked me to take him... Looking for a female eckie for him around the same age... not that I want to mate them, but he has never been without a mate. I think he would be happier if I found him a woman... I don't get two steps in the door before this one and Mango, my golden conure fly to me. They are both velcro birds. Unfortunately they also have a jealousy/sibling rivalry thing going on. So this is going to take time.... Neither bird is big on "taking turns."

Needless to say, I've converted all my birds to chop in their treat cup, since I have to cook for him, I might as well get them all converted. It's healthier for them.

It appears that we have reached a tentative agreement to settle the lawsuit. This being Texas, you can only recover "replacement value" for the death of a pet. It appears that I will be getting two new macaws here shortly, both about a year old. (A male greenwing, and a female Shamrock.) Just waiting for the check to clear. And I'm finally going to put up an outdoor flight in my back yard.

I don't know why but I couldn't post pics...

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I don't know how I missed this.
You have been through a terrible ordeal and I can't pretend to know how you feel.
But know you have my sympathy. support, and prayers. 🙏
Wes.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Happy to have you back, Mark. I actually moved to the Houston area a year and a half ago. What was this place you went to?

LoveOfallAnimals

Jul 17, 2022
Texas
Parrots
Eclectus - Female - Tequila
Red-Lored Amazon - Male - Tito
Albino Indian Ringneck - Female - Tia
It's taken me quite awhile to get over the caregiver killing my flock. I was very broken psychologically by that...

Then I had a little mishap with a ladder... and was actually physically broken for awhile. Fractured shoulder, 5 fractured vertebra, 8 fractured ribs, closed head injury... So it's been a rough go. But I'm back.

Those of you who know me, knew I couldn't be "without bird" for very long... they've been such a big part of my live for over a quarter of a century.

A few weeks after my birds died I took in an 11 year old Goffin's 2... we are the third home for that bird. She's very sweet, but he had zero training until I got him. Training her gave me something to focus on other than my grief. I named her SUGAR. She's never been clipped so I harness trained and recalled her instead.

Sarah forced me to go to a parrot rescue/bird shop in the Houston area, thinking it would make me feel better. (It didn't really. Kinda made it worse.) This place takes in rescue/rehomes, and also sells babies. I absolutely fell in love with a Golden Conure... that is one of the largest personality birds I've ever come across... even though she's a total PIA... (VERY SMART, HYPERACTIVE, JEALOUS AS HELL, AND REFUSES TO ACCEPT BOUNDARIES!) She's as sweet as they get, a total love, and a total PIA rolled into one. She will eventually settle down, and be a great bird, but boundary setting has been a challenge with this one... Her name is Mango. He didn't have to be recalled. He is made of velcro.

The house was still very empty without an Amazon in it. So I gave myself a Christmas present. A beautiful BFA which I named Pecker II, after one of the most bonded amazons I ever had... He has the best personality, and is absolutely THE PERFECT amazon... Plays nice with others, entertains himself well, just an absolute love... And he eats what ever you put in front of him. Oddly enough, this bird hatched the day that woman killed my flock.

Then, a few weeks ago, an attorney friend of mine gave me a 9 year old male Eckie... Now, Eckie's are not exactly known to be touchie feelie birds... THIS ONE IS! In fact he has clingy bird syndrome. He is completely velcroed to me. Has been from the minute I opened the travel cage. He had a female, but unfortunately she died from a seizure disorder... and he just wasn't happy. So he called me up and asked me to take him... Looking for a female eckie for him around the same age... not that I want to mate them, but he has never been without a mate. I think he would be happier if I found him a woman... I don't get two steps in the door before this one and Mango, my golden conure fly to me. They are both velcro birds. Unfortunately they also have a jealousy/sibling rivalry thing going on. So this is going to take time.... Neither bird is big on "taking turns."

Needless to say, I've converted all my birds to chop in their treat cup, since I have to cook for him, I might as well get them all converted. It's healthier for them.

It appears that we have reached a tentative agreement to settle the lawsuit. This being Texas, you can only recover "replacement value" for the death of a pet. It appears that I will be getting two new macaws here shortly, both about a year old. (A male greenwing, and a female Shamrock.) Just waiting for the check to clear. And I'm finally going to put up an outdoor flight in my back yard.

I don't know why but I couldn't post pics...
So happy that you seem to be doing better emotionally and for you going forward rebuilding a flock! I think there is a lot of misinformation about Eckies. My girl doesn't like to have her feathers touched, but she wants to be on me most of the day. She does like for me to rub her beak and her feet. Mine has amazed me in both her talking ability and cognitive reasoning skills.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Mark, it's so good to see you back, & I'm so glad you got to the point where you could let birds back into your heart.

Here is the link on how to post pictures, I can't wait to see your new babies ❤️

How To Post Pictures

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Happy to have you back, Mark. I actually moved to the Houston area a year and a half ago. What was this place you went to?
Adventures in Birds, if you know that place.

That's where I got my golden conure, and I'm going to be getting two big macs from them as well as soon as the lawsuit settlement funds...

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

I’ve been there a few times, yes, even boarded Parker there once. I’m a bit more north so mostly deal with A Parrots Cove.

LoveOfallAnimals

Jul 17, 2022
Texas
Parrots
ABC Birds in Humble is my favorite and they have boarding. I have never been to Adventures in Birds but now I have a reason to check them out. Had a bad experience with A Parrots Cove and will never go back. Feathered Friends in Corpus Christi is worth checking out if you are ever that way.

ImaParrot

Apr 13, 2023
Media
Houston, Texas
Parrots
Turtle (my sister's budgie. Let's be real, I'm taking care of him)
Elvis (budgie)
Olive (budgie)
Niki R.I.P (budgie)
ABC Birds in Humble is my favorite and they have boarding. I have never been to Adventures in Birds but now I have a reason to check them out. Had a bad experience with A Parrots Cove and will never go back. Feathered Friends in Corpus Christi is worth checking out if you are ever that way.
I LOVE ABC Birds. I've also been to A Parrot's Cove, but I think I still like ABC more.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

What happened? I’ve been using them for over a year now without issue. Actually my boy really likes a number of the employees, even after they’ve violated his nails. Not the biggest fan of their interior, not the nicest I’ve seen, but great service and literally a couple miles from my house.

OP
Birdman666

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I'm in San Antoio, so those places are all a haul for me. My QOB/Golden Conure (even though he's my problem child at the moment but that's a high IQ/overbonding issue) was exceptional. So I don't have any hesitations about getting my macs from them.

My daughter is living in Dallas now. She's all grown up,,, Every once in awhile I get out that way, but I'm also my Mom's caregiver... so I kinda don't get out much these days.

LoveOfallAnimals

Jul 17, 2022
Texas
Parrots
What happened? I’ve been using them for over a year now without issue. Actually my boy really likes a number of the employees, even after they’ve violated his nails. Not the biggest fan of their interior, not the nicest I’ve seen, but great service and literally a couple miles from my house
I bought a parrot from them that the manager blatantly lied about the birds health. They claimed the parrot had been seen by ABC Animal & Bird Clinic but could not produce any records. Should have been my first sign.

They only give a 72 hour window to have the bird check out which should have been my second sign because even though Houston is huge there are not a lot of Avian vets. I originally had a vet visit scheduled with Dr. White of Briarcrest Veterinary Clinic for the following day, but he was sick and could not see us for a week. Once I told his office where the parrot came from and what was going on they not only referred me to the Animal Medical Center of the Village but strongly advised me to get the bird in immediately.

Animal Medical Center of the Village stated the bird's issues where by no means small or fixable, but were extremely serious. They doubted the bird had ever been seen by a vet and told me that she would have an extremely short life span. When I returned the bird to the store the manager who had assured me of all these things wouldn't even come over to talk to me. They did however give me a full refund, but I was out a sizable vet bill.

I do like Juan who works at the store. They are probably fine for boarding, but after my experience I will just never support the store even though they are 5.9 miles away. The only positive thing that came out of this experience is I really like the Animal Medical Center of the Village. I have used Dr. White since we moved to Houston and have nothing but good things to say about him. However, he is getting older and it seems to be harder and harder to get in with him somedays.

LoveOfallAnimals

Jul 17, 2022
Texas
Parrots
I'm in San Antoio, so those places are all a haul for me. My QOB/Golden Conure (even though he's my problem child at the moment but that's a high IQ/overbonding issue) was exceptional. So I don't have any hesitations about getting my macs from them.

My daughter is living in Dallas now. She's all grown up,,, Every once in awhile I get out that way, but I'm also my Mom's caregiver... so I kinda don't get out much these days.
Going to be in San Antonio on business next month. Are there any birds stores worth visiting there? Kookaburra in Carrollton, Texas has always been my favorite in the Dallas area.

Most Reactions

Latest posts