Macaw won't step up and afraid of leaving the cage

joudb

Nov 14, 2014
So a bit of background about my bird first 3 years of having her she was cool with everything, walked around the house and stepped up no problem.

then things happened and I didn't want to rehome her as there aren't any rescuers\ centers in my area and I didn't trust anyone so instead I asked my friend to let her live with him for a year till I sorted everything out.

now while she was with him, he NEVER let her out of the cage and as it was a big one she was okay with it.

_____

Now I have her back, her own room a huge cage with lots of toys.

at first, she'd step up (not as often as she used too but once in a blue moon) but when I took her around the house she was TERRIFIED. this happened a couple of times and now she refuses to step up because she knows whats coming, or at least I think that's what it is..

I got another macaw and she was curious about exploring the house but whenever I try to show her around my first macaw would scream bloody murder and now my new macaw is scared too!!

___

I have installed a couple of perches and some fun toys outside the cage and near the door of their room to lure them out and for them to see the rest of the house

for the new brid it worked but not for my first. :(

____
-I have a beautiful outdoors aviary and I can't take either of them there because they REFUSE to leave the cage and the room.

-it's been 4 months in the new house..

-she is trained and knows shake, turn, wings. I am thinking if she remembers those commands surely she remembers stepping up she just doesn't want too..

-she's pretty moody, would come to me (inside the cage) for a scratch once a day or so but otherwise doesn't want to be touched.

- whenever I put up my arm for her to step up she would just try and peel my manicure off :confused:

Would greatly appreciate any advice you guys have, she needs sun!

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Firstly, thank you for reaching out here. We have many members with macaws that can relate.

The first thing to do is take a DEEP breath. Know that there is no fix that will work overnight.... what you need is patience, commitment and a lot of unconditional love.

Slow down with both your macaws. As such sensitive beings, it's important that you remain calm, and do NOT push them further than they want to go. So STOP taking house tours... instead, find a treat your macaw likes and simply stand near the cage with her, and don't attempt to do house tours for awhile.

What happened when you starting doing house tours again is that you overwhelmed her with a lot of new things. Macaws don't handle change all that well, and so to be suddenly picked up and forced to go around to rooms and places that have become unfamiliar, it overwhelmed her senses and caused her and your other mac stress.

So just keep her near her cage. Reward her for stepping up, talk to her on your arm for a few minutes, give a treat, and put her back into the cage (her safe place). You want to make every single interaction with our macaws a positive one, not one of 'oh no, she's back and going to force me to go around the scary house again! I don't wan tthat!' instead, change her thinking so that every time you come to the cage, GOOD things happen.

Only when she's relaxed should you take a step away from her cage. Then another step. Reward with treats...

Work your way back up to the house tours, one step at a time, go slow, be calm, and patient, and you should have your macaws in the outside aviary in time.

It's a marathon.... not a sprint! If they don't want to step up, don't make them. Talk to them through the cage, don't get frustrated when they don't want to come out. Let them come out to you. your love and patience, give treats often for good behaviors and don't give up! Desensitizing your macaws will be a process but when worked with daily and shown lots of love.... they'll come around!

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I know you are probably feeling very frustrated, discouraged, sad and annoyed (all at once).

Do not give up and remember that parrots of all kinds tend to process in SLOW-MOTION.

Your bird isn't the same bird he was, but he can get back to that point in time, given patience and love. I am almost certain.

Have you ever met an old person who is very content in their apartment/home but suspicious of the outside world? When you stay in one place long enough, your world shrinks and your brain becomes very accustomed to the safety and predictability of that environment (almost like a Stockholm Syndrome tied to location)..

I think that is what this is...after the separation trauma, the bird likely just clung to its cage as a security blanket.

Just take it slow and try to start off as though you are rehoming a parrot that you have never met....

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Also- after you get her to take food from you hand etc, if you want her to step up, try doing it first thing in the morning and temporarily removing food---if she is very hungry, she might be more willing to step onto you hand to get something. I wouldn't immediately move my hand, I would just get her on it and then reward with the food. Does that make sense?

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
I know you are probably feeling very frustrated, discouraged, sad and annoyed (all at once).

Do not give up and remember that parrots of all kinds tend to process in SLOW-MOTION.

Your bird isn't the same bird he was, but he can get back to that point in time, given patience and love. I am almost certain.

Have you ever met an old person who is very content in their apartment/home but suspicious of the outside world? When you stay in one place long enough, your world shrinks and your brain becomes very accustomed to the safety and predictability of that environment (almost like a Stockholm Syndrome tied to location)..

I think that is what this is...after the separation trauma, the bird likely just clung to its cage as a security blanket.

Just take it slow and try to start off as though you are rehoming a parrot that you have never met....

Great post, I agree!

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
Go slow...

Sunny took about 4 months to even touch the bottom of her new cage when she got here!

I am a bit confused about the timeline here ..
so let me know if I got it wrong!

You had Macaw A for 3 years with you, then she was with a friend for a year, and now she is back.
In the meantime you got Macaw B?
Or did you get macaw B after A came back?

Did you move house in the meantime, of did macaw A come back to the same place?
(the one she/he already knew)
Did she keep the cage she had the year at your friends or is it another one?

Just trying to figure out how many changes Macaw A had to deal with in a short-ish time...

But as always: let A set her own pace.

If someone here wants to go exploring- they'll let me know, I am not "taking them".
I only have one macaw, but she really was not interested in going anywhere (including out of her cage) for weeks - and she was let out in her previous home/ don't know how much or how long, but she still was used to the drill)

Oh... is she doing the whole puberty-thing yet?
(I missed the species/ macaw-type, so 4 years is normal for the larger ones to no longer behave like babies and you get to have some interesting times ahead of you.)

(and is macaw B also a girl? and how old is that one? I asumed they were DNA-tested etc.. Are they same species-bird? - apart from being 'a macaw' I mean)

so - no you did not get your old macaw back- you just have to start fresh.
You can do it!

OP
J

joudb

Nov 14, 2014
Macaw B was kinda thrown at me and she started off with my friend for 3 months till I picked them both up.
Both are B&G, Macaw A is 8 years old, female. and B is 2, female.

This is a new house, however, she is in the same cage she had for the most of the 3 years she was with me.

Macaw B was curious about leaving the room yesterday but when she got out of Macaw A's sight A started screaming and B ran back to the cage :(

I know it probably doesn't sound like it but she is otherwise a happy bird, she plays all day, makes little content noises, has a consistent routine, a master at foraging and LOVES training time and giving people unsolicited manicures. I feel guilty that I made her this way

Thank you so very much for everyone's response. I truly appreciate it.

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
Parrots
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
Thank you for being really precise. It help to paint a (beautifull) picture.

LOL, hey, there is only one thing better in life than 1 macaw - it's 2 macaws :)

If B is actually still a baby it makes sense that she would listen 'to mommy' (A) - especially if they are stil getting used to you as 'the wise flock member you can depend on and trust'.
So it makes sense A would throw a tantrum to protect B.
(I think its great they look after another)

Actually this helps: you only have to win over A and B will probably just tag along and follow your leads.

I think you can (and need) to let go of the guilt -> you've done your best in the past and now you are ready for a new start with what sounds like two wonderfull macaws.
If A loves training with you- you will have her everywhere in notime-- just let her set the pace and you cant go wrong.
It really sounds to me you (all) are set up for succes.

So .... plunk the past in the wheelybin/ dustbin/ container (whatever is handy) and get on with being happy together.
You can do it, they can do it.

You've all moved on, now its time for some funtime! :)

OP
J

joudb

Nov 14, 2014
GUYS!!

While trainning today, I decided to practice the “come here” command where i tap on a spot and when she goes to it, i give her a treat AND SHE GOT OUT OF THE CAGE!!!

After trainning was done she got on top of cage, walked around a bit and out of nowhere got down to where I was and STEPED up!!

after a bit of cuddling, I slowly took her out of the room and she was okay. Didn’t want to overwhelm any further so I put her back .

Can’t believe it finally happened!! Feeling so good!

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
Parrots
w00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000t
(jumping up and down for joy for you all)

Nice work human-parrot-team!

bigfellasdad

Sep 21, 2017
Media
NorthWest England
Parrots
Enzo - adopted Female CAG circa 2004. A truly amazing young lady!
Wow thats awesome, a huge step forward. Id have given her favourite treat and loads of happy time for doing that, finish on a really positive moment. Well done guys :)

OP
J

joudb

Nov 14, 2014
Thanks, everyone! they played in the living room today, A discovered the nut jar on the kitchen island so she climbed over and helped herself.

All is well now :) hope this thread helps someone.

Most Reactions

Latest posts