Making a Feet Print Keepsake

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Dear SuperMods, I hope I may post this in the Rb Scrapbook and here as well, please :)

I've tried this a number of times over the years, but always with something going wrong... wrong paper or wrong liquid or wrong method or wrong bird (!!!!????). But I learned from each failure.

This time, I got some frozen blackberry juice concentrate (no additives, melted and undiluted), put it in a shallow pan which he bathes in sometimes, just enough to coat the bottom completely), took some beautiful very thick artisan-made organic paper sheets (taped them down around the pan), sequestered the Rb and myself in the bathrom, tossed a few green chile SEEDS (his favorite part) into the concentrate, and then eased him down into the pan.

It worked!

I think the keys to success included:
*using a small, quiet space that's easy to clean
*taping down an absorbent, thick paper (won't be scattered by flapping/scrambling)
*using a shallow layer of juice concentrate (enough to coat the bottom of the foot but not soak the whole footsies)
*familiarizing the bird with the pan/platter/whatever
*figuring a way to entice/ease the bird into the juice
*having a glass of wine first

In the end, I got some useable prints. A quick trip to Imgur, and... at last... a dated, precious frameable keepsake!
42ViqGU.png

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Lovely keepsake Gail:) I am imagining you trying to "dip" the RB in ink now and I can't stop laughing for some reason.... :D

Rival_of_the_Rickeybird

2x Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jul 31, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
None. My wife has one too many. Kidding!
I did not witness the proceedings, but I did hear them, amplified by the estimable echo acoustics of the small wall-floor tiled guest bathroom. Goodness gracious. What an auditory treat. Trick or treat, indeed, apropos of the month and holiday. I have offered email copies to all friends and family who might treasure such a lovely memento of our dear Rickeybird. So far, no takers. I'm sure they're just moved beyond words at the offer.

ZephyrFly

Sep 21, 2014
UK
Parrots
Pazu - Green Cheek Conure - Hatch Date ~27 September 2014~
I'll remember this! I've been thinking about Keepsakes and I'd love to get Pazu's footprints tattooed on my shoulder. I hadn't figured out a good way to do it yet so thank you very much!

OP
GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
Zephyr, DO try it. I think the key is to prepare and even practice, maybe just with water... so that Pazu will be used to what's going on and won't flap or be afraid or run. I think that's what finally made it work for us.

ZephyrFly

Sep 21, 2014
UK
Parrots
Pazu - Green Cheek Conure - Hatch Date ~27 September 2014~
Zephyr, DO try it. I think the key is to prepare and even practice, maybe just with water... so that Pazu will be used to what's going on and won't flap or be afraid or run. I think that's what finally made it work for us.

Love it! My next project :)

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
This is a fantastic idea!!! Thank you for coming up with such a unique way to do it!
Just need the wine and I am set.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
This is a fantastic idea!!! Thank you for coming up with such a unique way to do it!
Just need the wine and I am set.

I am to the belief that the Wine is the Connection in the successful of this Claw Printing event!

Rival: I Love Your Waxings! - 'No Takers!'

OP
GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
Kiwi... the first few tries were NOT pretty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rival... I'm going to drug you into a stupor and pay a tatoo artist to come to the house and tatoo "Hater" on your forehead.

Zephyr, it may take some tries (and maybe some years) but I hope you'll share it when you get it!

Mr. Wrench! Don't encourage him!

Terry. Yes, the wine. Very important. I recommend before and after. Maybe during.

Mr. Boat... oh, yes, the wine is critical. As for the Rival, he is still laughing at his own humor. I find this goes on for day or two after a 'successful' snip

Last edited:

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Beautiful, Abigail! I love it!

Very brave, though. You were only a few frenzied wing flaps away from finding your skin and hair an entirely different hue! Lol!

Rival, keep the laughs coming!

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
When I took Plumas and then later Pacho into the vets office for cremation they did a foot impression.
I will take a photo and upload (in the memorial thread) when I have the chance.

it's a good suggestion to do it yourself if possible.

OP
GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
Awwwwwwwwwwwwwww, what a wonderful service. What a caring vet. Thanks, Tex.

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
When I took Plumas and then later Pacho into the vets office for cremation they did a foot impression.
I will take a photo and upload (in the memorial thread) when I have the chance.

it's a good suggestion to do it yourself if possible.

They did the same for Bixby after his necropsy. Don't know why it never occurred to me to post it in his memorial thread until reading your post, but I think I'll do just that.

OP
GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
I'm so glad, and will go look for that!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
We loved this thread so much that we have made it a sticky...thank you for the great instructions, Gail!

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Huge hugs and thanks to Gail and RB for the instructions and the great new sticky!

Most Reactions

Latest posts