Making toys without access to bird toy-part shops ;) Pic heavy and long!

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
I'm serious, if you found the stock available in the shops lacking, you can bet your bottom dollar that others do, too. When I got my galah, I couldn't find much at the shop at first. There's a lot of budgie stuff in the "normal" shops, not so much the bigger birds, and there is a HUGE jump in price. Budgie things are a couple of dollars and parrot things are like $40. I didn't appreciate how much her "stuff" would cost until after I'd adopted her - if I had time, I'd do as Percy's mum has and make things myself. Also, the designs of things often don't seem to be done by people who "know" birds to make things that the birds actually like and want to use. Percy seems like a good product testing manager for your "new enterprise" :D "I'll just whip something up, and run it past my product testing manager to see whether it meets our high standards" :D

Birdbrain91

Dec 6, 2013
Denver, Colorado
Parrots
Apollo (A bossy YSGCC) Cleo (Sun Conure) Wesley (B&G Macaw)
I've never made toys before because I'm afraid I'm going to poison my bird some how. So how do you know if rope has been treated or not. My hardware store sells sisal rope on big rolls with no labels. Are all baby/toddler toys safe? How do you clean and bake blocks and baskets? Baking wood isn't toxic for birds?

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
MomtoPercy you are AMAZING at making bird toys!!! I love this thread -all of your stuff is so inspiring! I can't wait till I have my craft room all set up!!!

OP
MomtoPercy

MomtoPercy

Nov 15, 2013
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Percy, a 5yo BFA & Jack, a 8yo Budgie
I've never made toys before because I'm afraid I'm going to poison my bird some how. So how do you know if rope has been treated or not. My hardware store sells sisal rope on big rolls with no labels. Are all baby/toddler toys safe? How do you clean and bake blocks and baskets? Baking wood isn't toxic for birds?

If the rope is not labeled, I'd be very cautious. I suggest you ask your hardware store for their supplier's details and find out from them directly.

ANY toy could be hazardous. Baby toys are not all suitable. You have to use good judgement to select a toy for your fid and it helps to know his play style (some birds eat plastic, others don't, etc). A rule of thumb I stick with is 'hard/brittle plastic is a no-no. Oh, and be careful of toys that are put together from 2 halves (if that makes sense). A determined bird can seperate the halves just enough to get a toe caught.

When you say 'blocks' I'm assuming you mean wood blocks? Well, I just wash (scrub them down) them in clean water (if they are *dirty* I wouldn't use them anyway) and then bake at a low temp in the oven to dry them thouroughly. Same with wicker baskets. The baking does not make them toxic. Remember though - only use untreated unvarnished wood and wicker.

BirdyMomma

Aug 4, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Parrots
Lilac Crowned Amazon (Bacci- Forever on my shoulder, forever in my heart.)
Yellow Collared Macaw (Loki the Monkey Bird)
Military Macaw (Wingnut)
Citron Crested Cockatoo
(Knuckles)
You are AMAZING!!!! Thank you so much for sharing all of your knowledge and experience!!! Beautiful toys!!

DallyTsuka

Mar 19, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Dallas and Tsukasa (Cockatiels)
Mango and Munchlax (Peach Faced Lovebirds)
amazing!! i think this thread should be stickied, because this is just phenomenal for those who want to make their own toys! Percy is incredibly lucky!!

Most Reactions

Latest posts