Mango is not happy with...

ctwo

May 16, 2019
Parrots
Mango the Indian Ringneck and Peach the Cockatiel; Kiwi found a new home
...the return to work schedule.

Of course I have to lock him in his cage all day. He is standing on the perch at the door, up straight, feathers tight, chin down, and he barely looks at me when I come home and open his cage. Before he was eager, but he must be realizing this is the new order. I open the door and he doesn't move. After a minute or two, he starts in on the scolding. He'll come out and fly to my shoulder and give me an earful. You know what that's like? I'll entice him with treats and a healthy meal before bedtime. It will be OK. He spends a few hours with me, gnawing on my shirt or perched on my monitor like usual, grooming and such. I have Friday's off so his cage will be open until Sunday bedtime, and we'll do it again next week...

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I think a lot of folks are going thru this or will be soon, as the workforce returns to in-office or on site working. The parrots will get over it, me thinks. They are pretty adaptable.

OP
ctwo

ctwo

May 16, 2019
Parrots
Mango the Indian Ringneck and Peach the Cockatiel; Kiwi found a new home
It might take me longer to get over it!

Now we've gone off daylight saving's time. It's too early to say hi in the morning before I have to leave (5am) and it's already dark-ish when I get home. Maybe I'll ease the lights back on and convince them it was a dark rain cloud. They usually want to eat something before turning in for the night - most of the time breakfast was ignored in favor of flight/shoulder time anyway. I'll have to close them up with something that will last a full day.

WingDing

Nov 13, 2017
Media
Texas
Parrots
Toby - RS Eclectus
Midori - Nanday Conure
@ctwo It's unbelievably tough isn't it. It's tough on the birds and on us seeing how the change affects them. They will adjust in time.

The bird and I have now spent all of our waking hours together for the last year and a half. Sharing meal times, singing songs, taking snack breaks together, etc. I don't know how I would have made it through the pandemic, being in quarantine and then isolation without him with me. It is going to be a hard adjustment when it comes time to head back to the office. Management wants us to come back even if it doesn't make financial sense for the company and employees. I'm going to figure out how to make it work.

Last edited:

Hobs

Nov 9, 2021
Parrots
Green cheeked conure
I’m about to go through this and would love any tips you have to make it easier on my little guy. I’ve been home recovering from a recent surgery. Between the lead up to, and the recovery after he’s had someone home for about 2 months. He threw quite a temper tantrum when we were at the hospital for 4 days, despite my father in law checking in on him regularly and giving him treats. Luckily they live right down the road but is understandably not sure about getting him out of the cage to play.
Any tips to keep the little guy happy would be great!

Most Reactions

Latest posts