March 2020 POTM Contest

Status
Not open for further replies.
My first bird is "Doogie". He was first owned by my family doctor. Doogie is now 24 years old and I got him when he was 5. Back then, there was a TV show called Doogie Howser. This was a doctor's name for a doctor's bird. I affectionatly call him Doog Monster. He is very strong and very smart

23915d1584000126-march-2020-potm-contest-close.jpg
Gorgeous parrot! Andi watched Doogie! Great name!

My first bird is "Doogie". He was first owned by my family doctor. Doogie is now 24 years old and I got him when he was 5. Back then, there was a TV show called Doogie Howser. This was a doctor's name for a doctor's bird. I affectionatly call him Doog Monster. He is very strong and very smart

23915d1584000126-march-2020-potm-contest-close.jpg

Now there is a face that deserves many, many, many kisses.

Walter

Her/his name is Nike. I'm pretty sure she is a boy but my previous bird of 39 years who was likely also a boy was named Berta and was referred to as a girl. When I picked up Nike I decided the easiest thing for my brain was to continue to call my new bird a "her", so my girl Nike didn't get a new name upon the re-home but was now identified as a female....how contemporary is that? ;)

Nike's nickname is Berta just because I cant get 39 years of calling that name out of my brain. I did consider changing her name but she uses it in a few of her learned phrases so I decided to keep it.

Here's a totally unrelated pic of her.

nike-tv-3-15-20-5.JPG

Such a pretty girl.
I always look close, and she seems to have red spot on her bottom if her toe?

Her/his name is Nike. I'm pretty sure she is a boy but my previous bird of 39 years who was likely also a boy was named Berta and was referred to as a girl. When I picked up Nike I decided the easiest thing for my brain was to continue to call my new bird a "her", so my girl Nike didn't get a new name upon the re-home but was now identified as a female....how contemporary is that? ;)

Nike's nickname is Berta just because I cant get 39 years of calling that name out of my brain. I did consider changing her name but she uses it in a few of her learned phrases so I decided to keep it.

Here's a totally unrelated pic of her.

nike-tv-3-15-20-5.JPG

I had no idea that you think Nike is a male! I love the name Nike as well as Berta! My HH, Darwin, also came to us named, and was given her name when they thought she was a male. We also kept it since she knew it, and it seems to fit her perfectly now, like Nike does your beautiful baby.

Wow, more Nike photos! How lucky can we get!!!
Love your Nike! But, if you consider... Yaaa, highly unlikely, but doesn't mean that it doesn't cross my mind!! :D:D:D

***Just for fun!***
Gabby the Goffins is my miracle baby. Abandoned by parents after 3 days and valiantly raised by my mom, initially round the clock. "He" was named after a good friend Gabrielle, a former bird trainer/performer at the San Diego Wild Animal Park. After 25 years "she" laid her first egg. Gabby is contrary to the lore suggesting dark eyed cockatoos are likely males.
MdvYpK0.jpg

aww Gabby is lovely. as a fellow Gabrielle and Gabby, I feel she honours our name perfectly. :) :)

I love the pictures of Nike, what a striking looking bird :)

Julio came to us with his name and his big Amazon rooster attitude and hasn't changed one bit... As a well adjusted adult Amazon he has earned the right to be fully walk-about and fully flighted 24/7... Not something that I recommend for everyone, but like I said, he has earned it fully.

[FONT=&quot]https://imgur.com/fkjllYA
uidkZKV.jpg
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
What! You have a problem with my Name?!?![/FONT]

Julio came to us with his name and his big Amazon rooster attitude and hasn't changed one bit... As a well adjusted adult Amazon he has earned the right to be fully walk-about and fully flighted 24/7... Not something that I recommend for everyone, but like I said, he has earned it fully.

uidkZKV.jpg
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]

Not every bird comes with a terrific name and bustling with Amazon Attitude!

***Just for fun!***
Gabby the Goffins is my miracle baby. Abandoned by parents after 3 days and valiantly raised by my mom, initially round the clock. "He" was named after a good friend Gabrielle, a former bird trainer/performer at the San Diego Wild Animal Park. After 25 years "she" laid her first egg. Gabby is contrary to the lore suggesting dark eyed cockatoos are likely males.
MdvYpK0.jpg

I love Gabby's amazing story, from her beginning where she blossomed under your Mom's loving care, to her surprising you after all these years with proof she was a girl. I also love how perfect her name is, and the inspiration behind it.

uidkZKV.jpg
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]

I can't even imagine Julio having a different name, it fits him perfectly! What a wonderful life he has with you, I am so glad you found each other:)

Cloudy skies and Clear skies!
Named for color
Cloudy and Clear for short.
laurasea-albums-keets-picture21653-img-20190813-075329218.jpg

Last edited:
Cloudy skies and Clear skies!
Named for color
Cloudy and Clear for short.
laurasea-albums-keets-picture21653-img-20190813-075329218.jpg

Their names fit their beautiful colouring so perfectly! Cloudy & Clear are absolutely gorgeous.

This is Jasper 18 year old boy CAG . He's new to us we re homed him from a loving home in which his owners passed away/relocated. He loves hard plastic caps and shredding paper and little boxes.

vW3FYh4.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1212.jpg
    IMG_1212.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 85
Last edited by a moderator:
I just realized that since Tashi is now My Bird, I can enter my baby in the POTM contest!

SoiZ5fp.jpg

"Tashi"
Meet Tashi. He's a juvenile mustache parakeet. Mustache parakeets natively range from China down through Indonesia. I am incredibly fortunate to have been chosen by this wonderful little parrot.

It took a while to find the right name. I was paging through a list of gryphon characters in a book by one of my favorite authors when a name jumped out at me. Tashiketh.

Hmmm. "Tashiketh."

Great name, but perhaps a bit long for a little guy. What about shortening it to "Tashi"? That felt right.

Then I remembered that one of my favorite lamas at a Tibetan Buddhist temple I used to attend was named Tashi. I looked up the meaning of the name. When I discovered that it meant "good fortune" or "auspiciousness", I KNEW that this was my boy's name.

Out of curiosity, I researched the native range of mustache parakeets, specifically looking at the areas they inhabit within China. To my delight, I discovered that mustache parakeets' native range does include parts of Tibet that are below 3300 feet.

I never intended to get a parrot. But it's my good fortune that my Tashi chose me.

Last edited:
Tashi has a great naming story! And I think he looks very mischievous!

Tashi has a great naming story! And I think he looks very mischievous!

Oh, he is absolutely overflowing with mischief. And he's scary-smart. I think I'm in trouble, LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back