March 2020 POTM Contest

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is Jasper 18 year old boy CAG . He's new to us we re homed him from a loving home in which his owners passed away/relocated. He loves hard plastic caps and shredding paper and little boxes.

I just realized that since Tashi is now My Bird, I can enter my baby in the POTM contest!

SoiZ5fp.jpg

"Tashi"

Meet Tashi. He's a juvenile mustache parakeet. Mustache parakeets natively range from China down through Indonesia. I am incredibly fortunate to have been chosen by this wonderful little parrot.

It took a while to find the right name. I was paging through a list of gryphon characters in a book by one of my favorite authors when a name jumped out at me. Tashiketh.

Hmmm. "Tashiketh."

Great name, but perhaps a bit long for a little guy. What about shortening it to "Tashi"? That felt right.

Then I remembered that one of my favorite lamas at a Tibetan Buddhist temple I used to attend was named Tashi. I looked up the meaning of the name. When I discovered that it meant "good fortune" or "auspiciousness", I KNEW that this was my boy's name.

Out of curiosity, I researched the native range of mustache parakeets, specifically looking at the specific areas they inhabit within China. To my delight, I discovered that mustache parakeets' native range does include parts of Tibet that are below 3300 feet.

I never intended to get a parrot. But it's my good fortune that my Tashi chose me.

Jasper is a terrific name for a prodigious chewer!

Tashi is a unique name, more so as it conveys deep meaning!

I've never entered a POTM before, but my dear daughter was recently lucky enough to snap some pics of Rosetta wearing her favourite accessories. So here's our story.

It took quite a bit of sweet-talking to get my husband to be OK with adopting 'Setta. He was still grieving the loss of our sweet Dominic and didn't believe another bird should come into our family so quickly. The kids, however, were longing for the awful hole to be filled and so hubby finally said 'Oh well. Do what you have to. I won't stop you.'

In those circumstances, we all felt we should tread sensitively around Hunn (that's what I call my hubby and what he calls me), so when it came to naming the new bird, we asked what name he favoured. Well, blow me down if he didn't want 'Snowy' or 'Cocky' or 'Sally'!

Really? Yep! So, the kids and I had a Big Think and remembered how bad-tempered he'd been when we first got our dog. On that occasion, we allowed him to name her 'Alice' after Alice Cooper, his favourite singer. Hmmm... we began to toss around names from among Alice's songs and my daughter came up with 'Nurse Rosetta'.

I had an 'Aha!' moment, because being that I'm a classics student, it would be very suitable to call my bird (and she *is* mine, despite the whole family loving her) Miss Rosetta Stone. So she's 'Nurse Rosetta' to Hunn and Rosetta Stone to me and the kids.

Either way, she's the funniest, most active, most adorable creature! The Beaks look at her with Judgement in their eyes when she yahoos about her cage like a pork chop. They're a lot more sedate and laid-back - I wouldn't have them any other way. I love all my birds!

Edit: Gakk! Cage looks awful! We were just getting ready to clean it - should've taken the pics afterward. Oh well! :22_yikes:

24010d1585053154-march-2020-potm-contest-rosetta-necklace.jpg

24011d1585053164-march-2020-potm-contest-rosetta-hat.jpg

Attachments

• Rosetta Necklace.jpg
    Rosetta Necklace.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 210
  • Rosetta Hat.jpg
    Rosetta Hat.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 120
Last edited by a moderator:
This is Jasper 18 year old boy CAG . He's new to us we re homed him from a loving home in which his owners passed away/relocated. He loves hard plastic caps and shredding paper and little boxes.

vW3FYh4.jpg

What an adorable picture of Jasper! I'm so happy he joined your family, he looks like he is full of personality.

I just realized that since Tashi is now My Bird, I can enter my baby in the POTM contest!

SoiZ5fp.jpg

"Tashi"
Meet Tashi. He's a juvenile mustache parakeet. Mustache parakeets natively range from China down through Indonesia. I am incredibly fortunate to have been chosen by this wonderful little parrot.

It took a while to find the right name. I was paging through a list of gryphon characters in a book by one of my favorite authors when a name jumped out at me. Tashiketh.

Hmmm. "Tashiketh."

Great name, but perhaps a bit long for a little guy. What about shortening it to "Tashi"? That felt right.

Then I remembered that one of my favorite lamas at a Tibetan Buddhist temple I used to attend was named Tashi. I looked up the meaning of the name. When I discovered that it meant "good fortune" or "auspiciousness", I KNEW that this was my boy's name.

Out of curiosity, I researched the native range of mustache parakeets, specifically looking at the areas they inhabit within China. To my delight, I discovered that mustache parakeets' native range does include parts of Tibet that are below 3300 feet.

I never intended to get a parrot. But it's my good fortune that my Tashi chose me.

What a great story of Tashi's name! Tashi is so beautiful, and I'm so glad he picked you to be his human:)

I've never entered a POTM before, but my dear daughter was recently lucky enough to snap some pics of Rosetta wearing her favourite accessories. So here's our story.

It took quite a bit of sweet-talking to get my husband to be OK with adopting 'Setta. He was still grieving the loss of our sweet Dominic and didn't believe another bird should come into our family so quickly. The kids, however, were longing for the awful hole to be filled and so hubby finally said 'Oh well. Do what you have to. I won't stop you.'

In those circumstances, we all felt we should tread sensitively around Hunn (that's what I call my hubby and what he calls me), so when it came to naming the new bird, we asked what name he favoured. Well, blow me down if he didn't want 'Snowy' or 'Cocky' or 'Sally'!

Really? Yep! So, the kids and I had a Big Think and remembered how bad-tempered he'd been when we first got our dog. On that occasion, we allowed him to name her 'Alice' after Alice Cooper, his favourite singer. Hmmm... we began to toss around names from among Alice's songs and my daughter came up with 'Nurse Rosetta'.

I had an 'Aha!' moment, because being that I'm a classics student, it would be very suitable to call my bird (and she *is* mine, despite the whole family loving her) Miss Rosetta Stone. So she's 'Nurse Rosetta' to Hunn and Rosetta Stone to me and the kids.

Either way, she's the funniest, most active, most adorable creature! The Beaks look at her with Judgement in their eyes when she yahoos about her cage like a pork chop. They're a lot more sedate and laid-back - I wouldn't have them any other way. I love all my birds!

Edit: Gakk! Cage looks awful! We were just getting ready to clean it - should've taken the pics afterward. Oh well! :22_yikes:

Holy cow, I love these pictures of Rosetta! What a perfect name y'all came up with for her!. Sounds like Hunn approves as well:)

Which picture would you like to use for your entry?

About time you entered, Trish! Splendid pics of Rosetta with accoutrements!

I guess the necklace pic is the nicest. It's just not possible to capture the hilarity of 'Setta bounding around with her helmet on while brandishing the necklace in one claw. :)

I guess the necklace pic is the nicest. It's just not possible to capture the hilarity of 'Setta bounding around with her helmet on while brandishing the necklace in one claw. :)

Great choice:) I so wish you could get a video of her bounding around, I bet it is priceless!

Still a few days to enter, I'd love to see more pictures and hear more stories!

Last edited:
Such a great contest, Terry! So many wonderful images and stories. This month is going to be a tough one. :heart:

When we first got Salty, each family member was allowed to pick one name and write it down on a piece of paper, and then I draw the winning piece from a hat. I chose Salty as my entry. With other names like Pretty Boy, Dr. Megalopolis and Sasquash, I already knew I was going to cheat. I think Salty is a proper name for a pirate parrot, no?

wrench13-albums-salty-pics-picture18168-al-salty.jpg

When we first got Salty, each family member was allowed to pick one name and write it down on a piece of paper, and then I draw the winning piece from a hat. I chose Salty as my entry. With other names like Pretty Boy, Dr. Megalopolis and Sasquash, I already knew I was going to cheat. I think Salty is a proper name for a pirate parrot, no?

Salty could not be a better name, as your picture so clearly illustrates!
This is without a doubt one of my favourite pictures of you two.

Love this, a pirate and his master!

Salty and pirate is an amazing picture!

Just for fun I wanted to share a beautiful picture of Clear Skies my untamed but living his best life budgie after being handed down to me.

Attachments

• IMG_20200327_092910308_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg
    IMG_20200327_092910308_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 109

Yup, I admit it, he's mine! He has been a long work in progress, but there is a light at the end of the tunnel! I even have him setting up and putting away my toys for me. Took forever, but he is doing well. I even got him to buy me new toys...

I knew I was going to be able to shape him when I determined he's a parrot at heart! :D

Salty and pirate is an amazing picture!

Just for fun I wanted to share a beautiful picture of Clear Skies my untamed but living his best life budgie after being handed down to me.

Wow, Clear is so gorgeous! His colouring is just beautiful.

Way back when Bumble was still “future bird,” I was chatting with a parrotlet breeder while on her waiting list. I did something about how tiny they must be when they hatch, and she said, “they’re about the size of a bumblebee.” I immediately responded “I WANT A BUMBLE-BIRD” and then realized that whoever future bird turned out to be, their name was Bumble.

And we lived happily ever after. Here she is in her silly sleeping pose. She honestly sleeps this way every night!

deade26a13e4fb6ac2525f4170186579.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Way back when Bumble was still “future bird,” I was chatting with a parrotlet breeder while on her waiting list. I did something about how tiny they must be when they hatch, and she said, “they’re about the size of a bumblebee.” I immediately responded “I WANT A BUMBLE-BIRD” and then realized that whoever future bird turned out to be, their name was Bumble.

And we lived happily ever after. Here she is I her silly sleeping pose. She honestly sleeps this way every night!

So darn cute!!!

And we lived happily ever after. Here she is I her silly sleeping pose. She honestly sleeps this way every night!

BumBle! BumBle! BumBle!!!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back