Meep?

aussie_wings

Jun 24, 2022
🌴☀️Florida, USA☀️🌴
Parrots
🌟 𝓢𝓽𝓪𝓻𝓵𝓲𝓰𝓱𝓽〘F Lutino Budgie〙🌟
✈️ 𝙅𝙪𝙣𝙞𝙤𝙧〘M Cinn-Turq-Pied-Spang Kakariki〙✈️
It's Meep!

I want to adopt her so bad. I sent FL Parrot Rescue an email asking how she is around other birds, and if she is okay with traveling. Her sleep schedule fits my house perfectly. I would want to bring her to my boyfriend's house on the weekends, though, as Junior LOOOOVES other birds and needs a friend, probably. Rex (bf) is working on making an aviary setup on his patio.

I used to bring Starlight over to his old house, but she didn't particularly like it. The first time I brought her in and set her travel cage down on the table, it took Junior seconds to realize there was another bird in there and flew onto it and was singing to her. It scared her, because she's super tiny and she's lost many of her feathers (cause unknown, bought her some mite spray and give her plenty of vitamins and try to keep the environment peaceful but positively stimulating to avoid plucking) so Junior didn't really get to play with her. Anytime she was brought over, he would just sit on top of or on the side of her cage and sing to her.

I really want Starlight to be able to have a birdy around her in the house, and Junior to be able to play with someone. But mainly, she's just so adorable and I want a medium sized bird to snuggle and be friends with. I want to rescue one and give them a good life!

The species section says "unknown", but she looks like a Meyer's parrot. After looking into them a bit, they sound like a good fit. I took the famous "myrightbird" website quiz, where I also got that species as a best match.

Do any Meyer's owners have any info or advice on owning these parrots? I've never owned one, so it would be the first one. I've owned/fostered a conure, cockatiels, lovebirds, budgies and kakariki.

I haven't made a decision yet, as I haven't heard back from FL Parrot Rescue about her yet, but I want to gather as much information as I can before making a decision. Also have to figure out the situation with Starlight's feathers, although I'm 90% certain she's been plucking. Her overall health is fine and she doesn't have any other issues associated with mites.

P.S. FL Parrot Rescue sounds like a dream job...

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
This is a Meyers parrot. The personality is VERY VERY DIFFERENT from a kakariki or another speedy little bird.

Have you met her? I think that would be a good idea. My Meyers can be grumpy like a little old man but he can also be snuggly and makes very cute robot noises as well as talking a little. He does get scared and bite first ask questions later. We are working on learning all the things that upset him so I don’t get bit and he doesn’t get scared.

They can make a very high pitched whistle/scream that was a problem for me in the beginning because I get migraines and trigeminal neuralgia headaches. THAT is a real consideration as when bird is new in your house it will likely do many alarm whistles.

Now I’m going to be a pest and ask: did you ever find out what killed your other birds? Because some germs can hang around in the environment, in dust, dried poops, etc. maybe you could ask your vet how to clean well or if this is something you need to worry about.

Last edited:
OP
aussie_wings

aussie_wings

Jun 24, 2022
🌴☀️Florida, USA☀️🌴
Parrots
🌟 𝓢𝓽𝓪𝓻𝓵𝓲𝓰𝓱𝓽〘F Lutino Budgie〙🌟
✈️ 𝙅𝙪𝙣𝙞𝙤𝙧〘M Cinn-Turq-Pied-Spang Kakariki〙✈️
We actually got a new cage, toys, food and water bowls, and everything for Junior after Gremlin passed. The vets were not 100% certain, but they thought he developed some type of infection. It was really weird how rapidly it seemed to occur, but I suppose he must have hidden the illness from us pretty well, unfortunately.
My bf has been more regular about cleaning the cage, food and water bowls and Junior has been doing well.
I help him clean up regularly used places by Junior and help him change the food and water if he forgets/gets busy.

I did hear back from the bird rescue, and they did not think Meep would be a good fit around other parrots. We're now thinking it might be a better option to get another kakariki IF we do get another bird. Starlight will be kept in a separate area, but still able to talk to and see them. She can't fly right now due to her plucking issue (feathers are still regrowing), so she can get startled and fall sometimes, which we don't want.

Personally, I'm fine with just those two, but I think we're a little worried about Junior getting too lonely. He has us, so I definitely want him to fully bond with us first before we get another.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
If I would have met a Senegal or Meyers before I met Cotton, I would've taken them home in a heartbeat! I'm watching a Senegal now and he is the sweetest bird! His daily routine sounds really similar to Meep - he loves being out of his cage all day but is super chill about sticking close by it. He's at least in his 20s and has had an amazing owner the whole time, so he's a total delight.

His high pitched call is REALLY piercing though 😂 I can hear it easily outside my house while I'm in my car!

Lucky me, my African ringneck copies it now so I'll get to remember him for the next 30 years 😂😂😂

Last edited:

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Yes. That call. Lucy passed on, I had just brought Jasper home, and suddenly I hear my headaches are trigeminal neuralgia. He was whistle-calling A LOT and so I tried to find a new home for him. But covid had just started, Jasper was scared of masks and bit the nice lady who drove three hours to see him.

Now Jasper does that whistle much less and I have learned about the things that scare him. Or her. And we’re getting along well but my two birds can’t have any contact with each other.

I am sorry to have asked about Gremlin’s passing, but I feel it’s kind of my responsibility to make sure people know how to be safe. Parrots are an unusual pet in my home town and most people would just pull the old cage out of the garage and put the new bird in it. I wanted to make sure things were safe for your new guy. I’m glad they are safe and I am so sorry you had to lose your birds.

Last edited:

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I have a Meyer's and he is an awesome bird! I've only heard him scream 3 times in the almost 9 years that we've had him. We also have larger birds and his scream doesn't bother me, that may be because I'm half deaf from our cockatoo.

He was a breeder, and is not really friendly to us, but he is so much fun to watch him play! I'll set a few pieces of wood on top of his cage, and he immediately runs over to it and takes it in his beak, then takes it back inside his cage to the bottom where he will chew it up. Then he comes up for another one.

They're not for everyone, but they are great little birds.

With that being said, it does sound like another Kakariki may be a better fit for you, I hope you're able to find one to add to your family:)

Most Reactions

Latest posts