Meet the newest member of our flock...

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
CHI CHI

Screenshot_20231029-172309_Video Player.jpg

Chi Chi joins me and Shifty the cockatiel. Hopefully they keep eachother company while I'm at work.
She weighs only 34 grams compared to Shiftys 90 grams. I hope they at least tolerate each other. No biting or clawing.

They had many budgies at the bird shop but none of them were hand reared. I loved the yellow face and light blue body of this youngling so I chose her. She was very calm when the store owner handled her and didn't bite so I got her. We think it's a female but it's still very young.

In its first day at home we had huge successes. She steps up and perches on my finger. She also perches on my shoulder. Huge advancements for the first day considering it wasn't hand reared...

Featherii_Fids

Jan 15, 2022
Media
UAE, Abudhabi
Parrots
Yuko [M] - Yellow headed Budgie. [Healthy, Tame.]
Snowii [F] - BV dilute opaline lovebird. [Healthy, hand-raised.]
Luna [F] - Indigo budgie. [RIP,.]
CHI CHI

View attachment 55599

Chi Chi joins me and Shifty the cockatiel. Hopefully they keep eachother company while I'm at work.
She weighs only 34 grams compared to Shiftys 90 grams. I hope they at least tolerate each other. No biting or clawing.

They had many budgies at the bird shop but none of them were hand reared. I loved the yellow face and light blue body of this youngling so I chose her. She was very calm when the store owner handled her and didn't bite so I got her. We think it's a female but it's still very young.

In its first day at home we had huge successes. She steps up and perches on my finger. She also perches on my shoulder. Huge advancements for the first day considering it wasn't hand reared...
AGHH!! IM DYING ABOUT THE CUTENESS!!
and seems like a female to me :)

Last edited:

4 way borbs

Sep 26, 2023
Media
Waukee Iowa USA
Parrots
Smokey | Athracite parakeet
Sky | cobalt, albino, yellow parakeet
Andy | Green texas clearwater
CHI CHI

View attachment 55599

LITTLE BABAY CUTENESS EXPLODING IM DEAD HOW CUTE THAT IS

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
Oh, she is sooo cute! At this age it’s head to say for sure but I’m agreeing with you on her being female. Even at a young age my male budgies’ cere were deeper pink with a hint of purple. She looks like a sweet little bird ❤️. I’m so happy for you and Shifty!

Fluffonia

Aug 4, 2023
Media
Slovenia
Parrots
Red sided ekkie female -
Ruby
Hatchingday- 14th of May, 2023
She’s JUST SO ADORABLE!!!! I JUST can’t resist! Please upgrade more pics!!!! Hope best for all of you!

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
CHI CHI

View attachment 55599

Awwwwwww, welcome home Chi Chi, and congrats @Free as a bird! She sure is one adorable baby!! 😍

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
CHI CHI

View attachment 55599

Your new baby budgie is adorable! She is going to make a great little companion. They're seldom so calm this soon so it looks like you picked one that will be very easy to bond with. I assume she has her own cage. Handle her as much as she seems to tolerate and she will be flying to your shoulder in no time! Budgies and cockatiels often get along very well. The size difference won't be a problem. Budgies have big personalities packed into their little bodies and most can definitely stand up for themselves to a cockatiel.

OP
Free as a bird

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Your new baby budgie is adorable! She is going to make a great little companion. They're seldom so calm this soon so it looks like you picked one that will be very easy to bond with. I assume she has her own cage. Handle her as much as she seems to tolerate and she will be flying to your shoulder in no time! Budgies and cockatiels often get along very well. The size difference won't be a problem. Budgies have big personalities packed into their little bodies and most can definitely stand up for themselves to a cockatiel.
Yes iv had budgies and tiels together before and it doesn't surprise me that the budgies often end up bossing around the larger cockatiels.

She has her own cage and I keep it in sight of Shifty and his cage. I've had the pair within 4 inches of eachother without either bird reacting. Their still sizing up each other. I know Shifty will bicker and argue but his never bitten me or his former companion.

Also I gave it a gender neutral name just in case

20231030_173959.jpg

20231030_161912.jpg

20231030_161923.jpg

She seduced me, it was love at first sight 🥰

Last edited:
OP
Free as a bird

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Developing trust in the hand that feeds her.

Screenshot_20231101-182116_Video Player.jpg

Got home from work to find Chi Chi out of her little cage and perched on top of the big cage. I think I know how lil Houdini got out by prying the feeding door open. I'll tie some electrical wire on it

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.

View attachment 55706

Got home from work to find Chi Chi out of her little cage and perched on top of the big cage. I think I know how lil Houdini got out by prying the feeding door open. I'll tie some electrical wire on it
Those slide up feeding doors are no deterrent to a curious determined budgie! A dog leash type clip would take care of it.

OP
Free as a bird

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Well there is bird proof then there is budgie proof. Another level of proofing especially for budgies. They are just so tiny they can hide anywhere leaving me anxious trying to find her so Iv had to remove all hiding spots big and small.

After a week shes going ok. She has a gorgeous tail pattern, symmetrical bands of black, yellow, blue and white but it's hard to take a picture of as it can only be seen in flight.
But Chi Chi is a quiet one. She prefers to be in/on her cage and doesn't say much which is sad cos I love to hear budgies talk and sing. I'm wondering if shes even sick.

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
Well there is bird proof then there is budgie proof. Another level of proofing especially for budgies. They are just so tiny they can hide anywhere leaving me anxious trying to find her so Iv had to remove all hiding spots big and small.

After a week shes going ok. She has a gorgeous tail pattern, symmetrical bands of black, yellow, blue and white but it's hard to take a picture of as it can only be seen in flight.
But Chi Chi is a quiet one. She prefers to be in/on her cage and doesn't say much which is sad cos I love to hear budgies talk and sing. I'm wondering if shes even sick.
They are so small; my budgies have definitely caused some near- panic moments when they’ve hidden in tiny places! Any time that I’ve brought a new budgie home, they take a while to warm up and feel comfortable enough to start singing. My female budgie also chatters much less than my male. Hopefully Chi Chi is ok and is just still settling in 🙂.

OP
Free as a bird

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
They are so small; my budgies have definitely caused some near- panic moments when they’ve hidden in tiny places! Any time that I’ve brought a new budgie home, they take a while to warm up and feel comfortable enough to start singing. My female budgie also chatters much less than my male. Hopefully Chi Chi is ok and is just still settling in 🙂.
I hope so

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I hope so
Chi Chi is just a baby. Give her time and she will develop her own personality. She's already quite tame and calm which is terrific because new budgies can be so nervous and skittish. If Chi Chi is indeed a female, she probably won't be as vocal as a lot of male budgies are but she will be just as entertaining.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.

View attachment 55706

Did Chi Chi have one wing clipped? If so you should consider trimming her other wing too. She may hurt herself trying to fly with only one full wing. Once she has her first molt (about 5-6 months) I would let both wings grow in so she can learn to fly properly or at least trim both wings the same.

OP
Free as a bird

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Did Chi Chi have one wing clipped? If so you should consider trimming her other wing too. She may hurt herself trying to fly with only one full wing. Once she has her first molt (about 5-6 months) I would let both wings grow in so she can learn to fly properly or at least trim both wings the same.
That's what I did. The store owner only clips one wing so I clip the other so at least she can fly a little bit.
Chi Chi is just a baby. Give her time and she will develop her own personality. She's already quite tame and calm which is terrific because new budgies can be so nervous and skittish. If Chi Chi is indeed a female, she probably won't be as vocal as a lot of male budgies are but she will be just as entertaining.
Yea I just hope she's not sick sitting around all fluffed up like she is sometimes. I know what your gonna say... Take her to a vet... And I might just do that

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
That's what I did. The store owner only clips one wing so I clip the other so at least she can fly a little bit.

Yea I just hope she's not sick sitting around all fluffed up like she is sometimes. I know what your gonna say... Take her to a vet... And I might just do that
It's always better to get a vet opinion than to try to diagnose her yourself. I think part of the reason Chi Chi is not very active is that she can't really fly very well with her wings trimmed.

I would use this "down time" before new flight feathers grow in to try to create a good bond with her so she views you as her friend and becomes very tame. As she matures, her spunky "girl budgie" personality with come out more.

Unlike a lot of OF members, I'm not opposed to clipping a budgie's wings, but the way I do it I only shorten the primary flight feathers by one half to one inch off their full length. This allows them to fly well enough to get a few feet of lift, allowing them to fly a distance of about ten feet before slowly fluttering to the ground. I only do this trim to prevent a budgie from flying so high that I'm unable to get to them without a ladder and for their own safety.

If Chi Chi is eating well, pooping normally and looks as healthy as she does in the photos you posted, I doubt she's sick. Of course, only an avian vet can say for sure, but if she acts normal she's probably fine.

OP
Free as a bird

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Unfortunately little Chi Chi is not getting along with me or Shifty. She would rather be in the cage than with us. I'm going to give her to my mum when I go and visit my family at xmas. There she will be paired with another budgie that my mum has. Her budgie had a companion that died earlier this year so I think they will like each other

Most Reactions

Latest posts