Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I do that too, I always want others to be happy. But being an empath is more like being a mind reader in a way and I can't be in large groups of people anymore because EVERY. SINGLE. EMOTION is flooding into my brain and I can't shut them out, no matter how hard I try.
And being on my own is much much better.
I am so "outer directed" it wounds me grievously at times. Learned over the years to interact with groups and finely channel my anxieties in methods that bring more joy than angst. I have a harder time interacting with friends via text, without visual and vibe cues to moderate my worst anxieties. Not suggesting this will work for you but our ages and life experiences literally separated by decades!

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
I am so "outer directed" it wounds me grievously at times. Learned over the years to interact with groups and finely channel my anxieties in methods that bring more joy than angst. I have a harder time interacting with friends via text, without visual and vibe cues to moderate my worst anxieties. Not suggesting this will work for you but our ages and life experiences literally separated by decades!
Thank you for that. I'm so glad you've found ways to make things better, even if it's only a little better.
For me, talking with others is easier over text. In person the amount of emotions I get from them can be extremely overwhelming. Unlike you, I don't suffer from any type of anxiety. I mean, I could, but I have not been diagnosed by a professional, so I won't act as though I have.

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Lilla (senegal parrot)
I'm not a fan of "labels," but let's face it, protocols vary globally and are crucial within the professional mental health community for purposes of diagnosis and hopefully assigning cogent treatment. And in the U.S, for insurance billing purposes.

Roz, sorry to hear you did not exceed personal expectations with English exam. Truly a difficult language to manage even for native speakers! I've learned to compartmentalize disappointing results and working ever harder to improve for the future. Every confidence you will do better next exam for I am the "forever optimist!"
My opinion on "labels":
If you want to label yourself that's ok in most cases, maybe not with mental disorders, because it's not good to self-diagnose...but nobody is stopping you from putting a label on yourself.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
My opinion on "labels":
If you want to label yourself that's ok in most cases, maybe not with mental disorders, because it's not good to self-diagnose...but nobody is stopping you from putting a label on yourself.
My opinion? I think it's fine if you really prefer to label yourself but don't label other people if they don't like it. I Just don't really like labeling myself so I just say I'm Autistic or I have ASD, I just prefer it.

OP
π•Ύπ–™π–”π–—π–’π–žπ•»π–Žπ–ˆπ–†
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
My opinion? I think it's fine if you really prefer to label yourself but don't label other people if they don't like it. I Just don't really like labeling myself so I just say I'm Autistic or I have ASD, I just prefer it.
Yeah, and labels can be important. If I didn't say 'I have a tic disorder', people would think I'm crazy and attention-seeking.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Lilla (senegal parrot)

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Yup, labels can be and often are important. But not labeling yourself with disorders, that aren't diagnosed by a professional - that can be harmful.
yeah I agree.

Sometimes "high-functioning" labels need to be used, example: when you're looking for a job and they ask about what conditions you have, if you just say you're autistic or you have autism they might end up not giving you the job because it might look like you're uncapable of having the job unless you say you're "High-functioning" which seems more acceptable

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
This thread has been a frustration for me as autism exists within my extended family and has been generational within our family following a trackable lineage . To have individuals want to classify /label themselves for reasons I do not understand cuts deep as I see first hand family members struggle with near all levels of their life. None of them have ever been one bit interested in finding a label to wrap themselves. All have worked hard to obtain and maintain jobs and homes. What they have been busy with from early on is learning life skills and working though the daily issues that they are faced with. The offensiveness of the twisting /toying shall I say bemoaning direction of this thread is an affront to the day-to-day struggles that others are faced.

It is long over due for this Vent to find itself a resting place.

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
This thread has been a frustration for me as autism exists within my extended family and has been generational within our family following a trackable lineage . To have individuals want to classify /label themselves for reasons I do not understand cuts deep as I see first hand family members struggle with near all levels of their life. None of them have ever been one bit interested in finding a label to wrap themselves. All have worked hard to obtain and maintain jobs and homes. What they have been busy with from early on is learning life skills and working though the daily issues that they are faced with. The offensiveness of the twisting /toying shall I say bemoaning direction of this thread is an affront to the day-to-day struggles that others are faced.

It is long over due for this Vent to find itself a resting place.
If you mean getting a diagnosis, people want to do that so they can get help. I don't think any of us are labeling ourselves without reason. 'Autistic' is just a label that autistic people use to describe themselves, it's not 'twisting' or 'toying'. How people choose to deal with their struggles is a personal decision.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Our family have nine individuals from elderly to young and none of them had any difficulty in determining that they have autism. Zero question.

Let this Thread pass!!

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Our family have nine individuals from elderly to young and none of them had any difficulty in determining that they have autism. Zero question.

Let this Thread pass!!
Ok....
Doesn't mean all autistic people find it easy to figure out that they're autistic

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I choose to fully disagree... And, with that solid Closure! I Hope this Thread find its rightful place. If you are looking for a Classification, you are looking in all the wrong places as this is not a Therapy Forum..

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
I choose to fully disagree... And, with that solid Closure! I Hope this Thread find its rightful place. If you are looking for a Classification, you are looking in all the wrong places as this is not a Therapy Forum..
Welp, you can choose to disagree, but many people have milder autism (or mask it)...
And you're right, this is not a therapy forum.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I do think this thread has run it's course, and that everything has been said that needs to be said.
This thread is now closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most Reactions