Might be working?

holly6386

Feb 16, 2012
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Green Cheek conure, Sun conure, Vos eclectus, LSC cockatoo, Miligold macaw
I moved jax from the living room where all the activity is, to the dining room. There is some through traffic and that is where everyone eats dinner daily. Other that that he was on his own. I was trying a different way suggested by the parrot rescue. The treat training worked with cage aggression but he still wanted to be alone.
After 2 days of casual walk bys and random snacks, this morning he flew out of his cage onto my 2 yr old and hitched a ride from her until he was close enough to get onto me.
So far i have walked by his cage and he hasnt had any interest in going back, and when i sit he doesnt get off and sit on the back of the chair.
trying not to get too excited yet. but YAY. He may be warming up

DaCoSim

Feb 17, 2012
Katy, TX
Parrots
Tiels- Calypso & Syrio~
GCCs- Turq- Midori & Luna
Pine-Moonshine, YS-Sunshine ~
Linnies - Yoshi & Sonic~
Letties - Link and Nimbus~
Great news!!!! I bet you are so relieved!

OP
holly6386

holly6386

Feb 16, 2012
Pennsylvania
Parrots
thanks so much! i am breathing a lot easier finally seeing a change in his attitude! After having him for 4 months and things just getting worse, the progress is amazing! i just had to share

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
They never cease to amaze me. Sometimes it's like a light going on in their head. Yesterday they were this way, and today they are this way. Maybe like learning to talk, and repeating things to themselves, they just have to mull things over to accept a change. Glad you're making progress.

OP
holly6386

holly6386

Feb 16, 2012
Pennsylvania
Parrots
that is exactly wht it was like! He was out again this morning too. Its wonderful knowing he enjoys being around me. It has to be better for him too, it has to be more exciting than sitting in a cage all day, since he has no real interest in toys.
That will be my next question. am i the only person who has a conure without "antics" i swear he just sits there and will maybe nibble a toy every now and then.
he was checked by a vet he had a clean bill of health. he is only 6! but i love having him, and its been a great 2 days with his turn around.
thanks everyone!

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
Did he have toys in his previous home? If not, he doesn't quite know yet what to do with them. My amazon didn't, and it's taken a long time for him to start playing with them.

It could also be he hasn't yet found the toy that thrills him. My Blue Crown was very hard to buy toys for. It turned out she needed to problem solve. She liked untying very large, difficult knots, undoing the links that held the toys and a plastic treasure chest with different shaped holes, filled with different shaped blocks that she had to work out one by one.

OP
holly6386

holly6386

Feb 16, 2012
Pennsylvania
Parrots
from what i seen in his cage where i got him, he had one of those travel size cereal boxes that was torn apart, cereal in it. I guess that was a foraging toy. maybe a few baby links, but that was it. he was in a parakeet size cage and didnt have many options. He seems to favor a leather toy he has, it has the most chew marks and even that is minimal. He has some wood block chewing toys and texture based things. i will have to look for problem solvers and see if he has any interest in those. he didnt touch the toys at all for a month or so. I started hanging fruit pieces on the toys and that got him to at least mouth the toys occasionally. he doesnt groom them. every once in a while he will snap a block in half. no real playing though, mainly just sits in his cage and stares...or he is eating.

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
Just give him time. If he doesn't know how to play, he'll learn by experimenting. It's all new to him, and he's probably just accepting these things that are hanging there as things that are just hanging there. You'll see, one day he'll feel like banging one of them around, and, "Hey, this is fun!". I took in 2 little budgies who had never had toys, and as playful as budgies are, they sat and looked at their new toys for months. Then, one day, they hit something with a bell, and that bell hasn't stopped ringing since.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
So glad it's all working out
You have been patient and persevered ...... it always pays off in the long run