Miles and Me

Miles

Dec 16, 2021
Media
Virginia, USA
Parrots
Miles, Yellow-sided Green Cheek Conure
Hello everyone. I'm new here. I decided it's time to join one of these forum sites to get up-to-date advice on my specific situation.
I have owned birds for several years, but mostly parakeets. My family got our first budgie when I was six years old. I made a lot of mistakes with him, and he sat in a cage for two years because everyone was afraid of him. But then I started working with him (as much as an eight-year-old can!) and he became a beloved family pet. He died at four years, due to illness. I couldn't stand the sound of a bird-less house, so less than a week later, we came home with a pair: an Australian male budgie and an albino female, hoping to breed. We didn't know at beforehand that albinos aren't likely breeders. She was a mean one, and eventually nobody could stand her, not even her mate. So we gave her away to a friend. A few weeks later, someone had to rehome an adult female budgie, and we took her. Our male immediately took to her, and within a couple of months they had five lovely baby budgies. We hand raised them, sold two, lost one to an accident, and kept the other two. We still have the male, the two babies (now full grown), and another unrelated male that do very well in a community cage. Sadly the mother flew away after one of our little ones opened a window and the budgies' cage.
Anyway, I was getting weary of the hours I spent with the budgies, only to find they never really wanted to be with me anyhow. So I chose to upgrade. My siblings took over the parakeets, and I brought home a 6-month-old yellow-sided green cheek conure. I didn't know his gender at first, but he made it very clear as he matured! Once I knew he was a 'he', I named him Miles. Very fitting, since he's been all the way to Boston, the coast of Maine, and Pennsylvania several times. He's an absolute sweetheart. He was hand raised by a breeder in NC, and it paid off. He loves being handled. He is a lightning-fast learner, and has learned a few tricks and quite a decent vocabulary for a conure. He flips, spins, waves hi, and says "Peekaboo," "Birdie," "You're a pretty cute birdie," "Step-up," "Come-come," and a few mish-mash creations of his own. He loves to tease the budgies, fly laps around the house, and wrestle with me while on his back. He chases the dog, teases the outdoor cats in the windows, begs for baths at the kitchen sink while my brother is washing dishes, struts along the shower curtain rod while I'm showering, and is doing extremely well at his necessary training. His recall is progressing rapidly, and he's got the potty training down pat. Step up is as second nature as flying.
His peculiarities? He fights us for coffee, is terrified of the aquarium, loves to undo metal clasps, gets mad at his toys when they move (but punches them so they keep moving), travels amazingly (except when we get a bad driver--then he gets carsick and throws up, poor birdie), and will do almost anything for a peanut. He also gives very loud, very smacky kisses, which is absolutely adorable. He says Peekaboo rapid-fire when he wants out really bad. And, he knows his name: "Miii-iles!"

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Welcome and be welcomed.

Peanuts are not good for parrots as they can harbor a mold inside the shell. And they are like crack cocaine to parrots. Too many become addicted and fixated on them. You can find safer treats, like one nuts, walnuts or others. Just not a lot of them.

OP
Miles

Miles

Dec 16, 2021
Media
Virginia, USA
Parrots
Welcome and be welcomed.

Peanuts are not good for parrots as they can harbor a mold inside the shell. And they are like crack cocaine to parrots. Too many become addicted and fixated on them. You can find safer treats, like one nuts, walnuts or others. Just not a lot of them.
Okay. I had known that raw peanuts were dangerous if not stored properly. I got some raw ones to roast, but haven't done it yet. Right now I'm using raisins for his treats. Are you referring to all peanuts, or are roasted ones safe?

OP
Miles

Miles

Dec 16, 2021
Media
Virginia, USA
Parrots
Hi! I can't even imagine how much fun it must be to have Miles! He sounds like a bundle of joy! Even I am planning to get a GCC soon! Do keep updating us on his progress, with pics favored.
XOXOXO(Lots of kisses),
To Miles.
Oh you would not believe how much fun he is!! His tricks go waaayyy beyond anything I've taught him. He does absolutely hilarious stuff with his toys, especially the plastic balls with bells inside. They drive him absolutely nuts. He has a giant one that hangs on the side by metal chains, and I've often found him either laying on top on his back holding onto the chains with his feet, or beating it from underneath trying to figure out how to get the bell to come out. Those balls will keep him amused forever. And he attacks a smaller loose one on the floor of his cage, making it roll around. Then he starts making these weird noises and getting really *fake* mad, and chases the ball around and around. He is just a total goof. But he's super intelligent and infinitely loveable.

OP
Miles

Miles

Dec 16, 2021
Media
Virginia, USA
Parrots
Welcome to you and yours.
My green cheek gets car sick on occasion as well.
Love to see pictures
I've heard that mint tea can help if you give to them before the car ride. Also fasting them beforehand can help. He'll be travelling with us to KY from VA next weekend, so I'll try those methods out and see if the poor guy feels better.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I would not fast. Its hard enough on them even if they travel well. I would make sure to offer food and water when ever you make stops. They usually won't drink will in motion. Offer an apple slice to help keep them hydrated as well.
When I picked up burd that had traveled only 6 hours, it has bright yellow urine and vet said was dehydration. Was also starved, I offered millet at break and she chowing

OP
Miles

Miles

Dec 16, 2021
Media
Virginia, USA
Parrots
I would not fast. Its hard enough on them even if they travel well. I would make sure to offer food and water when ever you make stops. They usually won't drink will in motion. Offer an apple slice to help keep them hydrated as well.
When I picked up burd that had traveled only 6 hours, it has bright yellow urine and vet said was dehydration. Was also starved, I offered millet at break and she chowing
Ok makes sense. Thanks!

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Welcome to Parrot Forums!

OP
Miles

Miles

Dec 16, 2021
Media
Virginia, USA
Parrots
20210922_134637.jpg

Here is Miles on his first birthday. He does this a lot, totally forgetting his feet and just flopping into my hand or lap.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Gorgeous!!
Also don't let him get chilled when you travel. Burd don't do well with quick temperature drops. So warm the car up first, wrap the cage in a blanket fir carrying to the house from the car .

Most Reactions

Latest posts