Milo The GCC Diary Scrapbook :)

OP
lollipoppy

lollipoppy

Mar 10, 2020
Canada
Parrots
Mama to Milo the Pineapple X Cinnamon GCC
Awww, Milo is so cute! Your progress with him is amazing :) Something to keep in mind though. Right now, he's a baby, and seeks out the snuggles and pets. As he gets older (puberty) he'll interpret anything past the head and neck as, umm... exciting... and that can make for a frustrated Birdy, and possibly some aggressive behavior. Other folks will surely explain it better and in more detail than I, but definitely keep it in mind moving forward.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Haha yup! I had a parrotlet and a lovie in the past so Iā€™ve only ever touched head and neck :) My hand around his back is barely touching him [emoji2] Once he scoots under I pull my hand off so he knows itā€™s there but itā€™s not firmly scooped around him [emoji3526]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Awww, Milo is so cute! Your progress with him is amazing :) Something to keep in mind though. Right now, he's a baby, and seeks out the snuggles and pets. As he gets older (puberty) he'll interpret anything past the head and neck as, umm... exciting... and that can make for a frustrated Birdy, and possibly some aggressive behavior. Other folks will surely explain it better and in more detail than I, but definitely keep it in mind moving forward.

Haha yup! I had a parrotlet and a lovie in the past so Iā€™ve only ever touched head and neck :) My hand around his back is barely touching him [emoji2] Once he scoots under I pull my hand off so he knows itā€™s there but itā€™s not firmly scooped around him [emoji3526]

Fantastic! Yeah, my YNA LOVES to snuggle up with me, but if I even brush against her back or wings she immediately squats down and starts the "happy noises." NOPE!!! Hormone season is bad this year! Lol.

OP
lollipoppy

lollipoppy

Mar 10, 2020
Canada
Parrots

Fantastic! Yeah, my YNA LOVES to snuggle up with me, but if I even brush against her back or wings she immediately squats down and starts the "happy noises." NOPE!!! Hormone season is bad this year! Lol.

LOL! Oh my gosh thatā€™s sensitive. Iā€™ll be very careful to watch for that when it starts. [emoji1787][emoji15]

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
This is doubtlessly part of why the Rickeybird is such an insufferable room mate. I was raising him back in the days of no 'net and lots of guessing, and despite my later corrective efforts, he still perceives himself as Lord and Rooster of the Henhouse and Master of the Harem.

OP
lollipoppy

lollipoppy

Mar 10, 2020
Canada
Parrots
This is doubtlessly part of why the Rickeybird is such an insufferable room mate. I was raising him back in the days of no 'net and lots of guessing, and despite my later corrective efforts, he still perceives himself as Lord and Rooster of the Henhouse and Master of the Harem.

Omg [emoji38][emoji23] Oops! Is cupping him still ok, or will that need to be stopped altogether? (For Milo!)

Lest I have a Lord and Rooster of my own Henhouse. I donā€™t think the cat would appreciate a rival for keeper of the humans [emoji23]

OP
lollipoppy

lollipoppy

Mar 10, 2020
Canada
Parrots
Milo is learning how to use his foot to help him eat, heā€™s been doing this with everything from pellets to veg to millet all morning it is soooo cute! Iā€™ve never seen him do this before! A little here and there but usually with rough balance. Today heā€™s really mastering it!

1fa853a260d498eda8b7cea9dec5eea0.jpg

189bb8ae8921a9636b2591fd1a03dc9e.jpg

OP
lollipoppy

lollipoppy

Mar 10, 2020
Canada
Parrots
Milo birdie and I are 2 days bite free! Like not even an attempt! I know there will be a time again in the future where we set the clock back to 0, but Iā€™m celebrating this achievement in our communication.

I attribute it to us working really consistently to establish some basic communication, and to us finally sorting out a routine that seems to work really well.

Weā€™ve been focusing about 75% of our training sessions on:
ā€œstep upā€ (which heā€™s already good at so itā€™s an easy prize,)
ā€œgentleā€ (where he gets a prize for preening - but not biting - all of his toys, and today we did this on my finger and palm for the first time! When he got a little zealous I said ā€œah ah, gentleā€ and he immediately stopped)
And ā€œharnessā€ (where he pokes his head through the neck hole for a treat lol)

In the morning neither of us are ā€œmorning peopleā€ so he just hangs out on my shoulder and we chat while I clean the house. He seems really good with this new system, it got us down to 0 bites in the morning. That, combined with ā€œgentleā€ and a better understanding of each other seems to be curbing most of our issues so far!

Hereā€˜s Milo after he ran under my arm, rolled upright to face me, and started preening me and playing with me with his feet LOL!

PS - yes I do wear different outfits, but he loves this house coat and I have some ā€œbirdie shirtsā€ I wear for obvious reasons. [emoji23]

2bf4128ffcaad8e01be827c54175d554.plist

OP
lollipoppy

lollipoppy

Mar 10, 2020
Canada
Parrots
Oh and this dorky shot of me pretending to be wigged out by the phone with Milo because he hates it [emoji23] heā€™s warming up though

eaca93d0ef30e93a79f8305a1f3d834a.jpg

Cagzo

Jan 14, 2020
Media
Mid Glamorgan,South Wales,UK
Parrots
One Pineapple Conure.
Hatched late 2018.
He's a gorgeous baby, it takes time to read their moods,and you obviously understand all this. Im amazed how they can go from bitey,hackles up,and two minutes later its all forgotten, definately a two year old tantrum! They all love attention,Connies latest attention seeking is to ring her bell really hard,when we look at her she stops as if butter wouldnt melt!

OP
lollipoppy

lollipoppy

Mar 10, 2020
Canada
Parrots
Milo The GCC Diary Scrapbook [emoji4]

He's a gorgeous baby, it takes time to read their moods,and you obviously understand all this. Im amazed how they can go from bitey,hackles up,and two minutes later its all forgotten, definately a two year old tantrum! They all love attention,Connies latest attention seeking is to ring her bell really hard,when we look at her she stops as if butter wouldnt melt!

It really is impressive how fast they can swap through mood swings. That part reminds me of my MIL [emoji23][emoji1787] Too far?
That is so cute! Milo is juuust figuring bells out hahah

OP
lollipoppy

lollipoppy

Mar 10, 2020
Canada
Parrots
King Milo helped me repot my spider plant today, ha ha. [emoji175]

4faceb2588a6b798912a6d904273096e.jpg

OP
lollipoppy

lollipoppy

Mar 10, 2020
Canada
Parrots
Milo The GCC Diary Scrapbook [emoji4]

Milo has been settling in sooo well! Heā€™s such a character with a goofy little bag of tricks up his sleeve!

When I was cleaning his cage one day I taught him how to chuck wood pellets and now he throws them to get my attention, hahah! He hasnā€™t bitten anyone in nearly 2 weeks, I can pet him or poke at him or lay my hand over him at any point when heā€™s not in his cage and he is totally calm with it, he either leans in for scratches or ducks and runs, in which case I let him be. He follows me all around the house. He loves watching the birds outside the window. Heā€™s so funny to watch. He also has the most beautiful eyes.

Oh! And knock on wood, but he has yet to poop on my head, hair, or shoulder. He flies away, poops, then flies back. Sometimes on my legs or lower arm, but usually on the floor or couch. So far - knock on wood - never on my hair, head, or shoulders [emoji1] He has no problem turning around and giving me a mouth full of tail feathers when Iā€™m not paying attention though [emoji23][emoji28]

63e5d382b98e206ab83bb8caca2f4a08.jpg

ddb603d9c337f5d41597df0e43b66336.jpg

Most Reactions