Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Zazo my sister's AG (6 years old) will be staying with us for a week, while they away on vacation.
He has stayed here previously, when Mishka was about 6 months old.
LoL I doubt whether she will remember him. :eek:
I have been preparing her for his arrival, teaching her his name, and to whistle for him.
I bought Mishka a mirror today. previosly when she had one, at a much younger age, she stopped talking when the mirror was in her cage. I placed the mirror in her cage earlier, played with then walked out the lounge.
She was quiet for about 30 minutes. I walked in to check on her, she was holding the side of the mirror examining herself.
Later on she was staring into the mirror, calling Zazo Zazo, and whistling.
Now she needs to start preening and getting pretty for her visitor. :rolleyes: He arrives on 10th June 2010.

OP
antoinette

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
I bought a mirror for Mishka yesterday, to get used to seeing a bird, for the upcoming visit of her cousin Zazo.
Yesterday she held the mirror, said Zazo and whistled.
TODAY Mishka hardy spoke, she just sat in front of the mirror, holding it, admiring herself, ALL DAY LoL

parrotqueen

Jan 14, 2010
Media
United States
Parrots
Pineapple & Sunshine--Gray/wildtype male cockatiels
I'm so happy for Mishka that she can meet a new friend, it's good for her to be socialized with other birds. Tell us how it goes!

That's so cute, how she admires her beauty in the mirror. LOL

OP
antoinette

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
I need lots of advise and tips, what to do, what not to do etc, before Zazo arrives.

16 more sleeps and Zazo, Mishka's cousin arrives, to stay for a week.
Mishka loves the mirror I bought her, she first admires herself, then sits talking the to the "birdie in the mirror" all day long LoL
I thought letting her see herself, in the mirror, might ease the situation when Zazo arrives.
Zazo has stayed here previously, Mishka was a few weeks old, they had no interaction at all. Mishka has no contact with other birds at all. I know I am to blame, running a business on my own, being a single parent, time is so limited. I give Mishka every ounce of my love possible, much attention and interaction on a daily basis. 24/7, 7 days a week.
Zazo is 5 years old AG male. He's wings are clipped. He sits on top of his cage all day. No problem there, Mishka is in her cage all day. At my sister's place, only she may pick him up, that is understandable. Previously Zazo let me uppies him after only a few hours in our apartment. Hopefully that has not changed.

At 5 30.pm Mishka comes out, to play on the playpen, eats a few yummies. We play for a while, then training until 8.30pm.
During the course of the day, I will take Zazo to Mishka's cage, standing at distance I will introduce them to each other.

I don't want to upset Mishka's routine, but the same time, I want Zazo to" feel at home". I was thinking, should I put him back in his cage, when Mishka comes out of hers, for the first day or two. I will play and hold Zazo for an hour AFTER Mishka has gone to sleep.
My biggest fear, what if they attack one another.

I am having sleepless nights..............

Last edited:

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
If they both have clipped wings you will be in control. As we both know watch the body language carefully for any signs of aggressive behavior. Since they are M and F they will surely be curious about eachother. I bet it is interesting to observe the both of them.

OP
antoinette

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Do you have a video camera ... this would be awesome to see.

Yeah I do have a video......... should be very interesting.
I have tried numerous times to video her, she just sits there, stares at me and never says a word !!!!!!
Perhaps this time is will be different. :rolleyes: Boy meets Girl (that's if he is a male and she a female.... we don't now) LoL

Last edited:
OP
antoinette

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Just had a telephone call from my sister, saying they have never had Zazo sexed BUT they think he is a male. She mentioned for the last 3 months, he has been acting strange. From her description it sounds like Zazo is sexually frustrated haha just my luck....
He does talk a little, makes sounds and whistles.

Going to be quite a visit

Last edited:

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
You may be related but that does not mean you think alike. Good thing you found out before the visit. I have identical twins daughters and they are like night and day in how they think and function in life. Mishka will be fine because you are her guardian.

OP
antoinette

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
9 more day to go and Zazo arrives..... I must admit I am happy for Mishka and Zazo, to have some birdie time together.
What is the best possible way to introduce them to one another?
LoL what do you say......... Zazo Mishka ......... Mishka Zazo.........
I was thinking perhaps to take Zazo to "visit" Mishka, obviously Mishka's cage will be closed.
Just sit near her cage with him, let them get familiar with each other.
I just know Mishka is going to be so jealous. If I hug Steven and kiss him, she lifts her wings in an upright position, and starts to growl. At first we thought it was "cute" but it really upset her.
I really need some help........ come on guys !!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
She will be so distracted by the new bird she will not even notice your good night hugs. I know we all want to be updated on the visit. Mwah

OP
antoinette

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
She will be so distracted by the new bird she will not even notice your good night hugs. I know we all want to be updated on the visit. Mwah

Whenever we hug or kiss Mishka get's on her "high horse" :eek:

You will definitely be kept updated, I feel like a mother, whose daughter is going on a first date LoL :rolleyes:

OP
antoinette

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
It's a historic date here as well, FIFA World Soccer 2010 starts on (11/6/2010) in South Africa, the day Zazo arrives.
So much excitement, the atmosphere is unbelievable. Hopefully Mishka does not like the sound of a Vuvuzela, lets pray.....save my soul, and my ears LoL
Getting excited as time is getting near, teaching Mishka to say Zazo is coming now now, Zazo is a birdie and call Zazo .......... Zazo (whistle whistle)
7 days and counting down..... :rolleyes:

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
I read about the soccer games there. They mentioned that they take lots of precautions against fights breaking out. Shame.
We are getting excited about your feathered visiter too.

OP
antoinette

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
There are hardly ever any fights here, amongst our own spectators.
There have been threatened terrorist attacks, extra precautions have been taken.
Radio announcement and newspaper reports today, where 250 "trouble makers" have follow their soccer team, here to South Africa to cause havoc.
So sad, this is something we should all share and enjoy worldwide.

One good thing about being a bird, they have no idea what is going on around the world.
I wonder is Mishka knows her cousin Zazo is visiting soon LoL

Mel

Mar 30, 2010
Media
Sydney Australia
Parrots
Eclectus - Shadow /
Sulfur Crested - Chicka
I don't know if any other sport has such "passionate" supporters as soccer. Are you going to any games Ant? It would be a great experience

OP
antoinette

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
I don't know if any other sport has such "passionate" supporters as soccer. Are you going to any games Ant? It would be a great experience

I reckon our biggest passion here in South Africa is Rugby. I love the game. I think I am the biggest Springbok supporter LoL. :eek:

Don't get me wrong, soccer is big here as well, many passionate supporters.
Having the 2010 here is absolutely amazing.
Our "Rainbow Nation" is standing together as "One".
Unfortunately we could not obtain tickets, but you never know !!!!!

My sister and her family are going to follow the Portuguese team, all over S.A., going to all their games. WoW ;)

LoL..... that is why Zazo will be staying with us. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts