Molting questions

LouieTheBirdsDad

Feb 3, 2018
Parrots
Yellow sided green checked conure named Louie
I have a yellow sided green checked conure that I have had for over a year but I have some questions on molting. It started about four five maybe six months ago he started to what I thought was molting. He would lose feathers and a pin feather would replace it but recently he had lost one of his primary flight feathers but the one on his other wing is still there and I have read they lose them two at a time. He is very healthy. He is on a pellet diet and get veggies and fruits everyday. He also has a bath bowl that I refill everyday.
Thanks

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
If he was under a year old when he started the heavy molt a few months ago, then that was probably his first really big molt. He's going to do that at least once a year, along with molting feathers hear and there. As far as the flight feather goes, it's very possible that he either molted just one of them, or he knocked it out somehow, they do that as well, especially with flight and tail feathers. It will grow back in a couple of months...

OP
LouieTheBirdsDad

LouieTheBirdsDad

Feb 3, 2018
Parrots
Yellow sided green checked conure named Louie
Thank you for your help.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
From what I've noticed, if a bird molts out #6 on one wing, then they'll molt out #5 or #7 on the other... not the exact feather on the other side.

As long as there are no bald spots or obviously destroyed feathers, it's probably normal.

Most Reactions