Mom wants to get Parakeet for Grandma...

OP
Amanda_Bennett

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
Zilla 29 Y.O. Orange Wing Amazon
I know what you mean about the screaming! I love all the chattering and chirping, and how busy they always are, but I could do without the screaming too.

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
OMG, you are amazing! Your Grandma will find new happiness and YOU area fabulous parront!!!!

OP
Amanda_Bennett

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
It doesn't look like this will happen.

Very sad news...Grandma went to the hospital this morning, prognosis is... put her on Hospice and send her back home, make her as comfortable as possible. She is refusing to eat more than 2 to 3 bites a day! And she has paperwork that states no heroic measures so they can't force feed her or do much of anything except give her fluids/glucose and monitor.

I'm afraid she will not be with us much longer.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Amanda, I am so terribly sorry, what a horrible turn this has taken.
Your Grandma and the rest of your family are in my prayers:(

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Amanda, I'm very sorry to hear that this unexpected situation has happened. My prayers are with you.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Do you think that the sadness and depression from losing her little pet canary after so many years has anything to do with your grandmother's current physical state? Was she aware she was getting a parakeet, or was it going to be a surprise?

Sunset_Chaser

Sep 25, 2014
Minnesota
Parrots
Bella (B&G Macaw)
2 Yellow Naped Amazons,
8 Lovebirds,
2 Green Cheeks,
2 Sun Conures,
2 Indian Ringnecks,
2 Quakers
Sending prayers your way, never easy losing a loved one....

OP
Amanda_Bennett

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
Thank you for the kind thoughts and prayers.

I think this has been coming for awhile, she is almost 94, so has lived a long full life.

I think the loss of her canary has played a roll and she has been very upset over his loss.

She did know we were going to get her a new bird, hadn't told her what kind. She said she wanted one who would "talk" to her and watch TV with her like Sunny had. Sunny chattered and chirped, he never sang (I think he was a she) so we thought budgies are playful and chatter a lot and come in so many colors, and I would take it after she passed on so we knew it would have a good home.

Depending on how things go over the next few days with Hospice we may still get her another bird, just not sure yet.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Please let us know how she is doing, Amanda:(

Bundiibird

Mar 9, 2013
Rockhampton, Qld, Australia
Parrots
Bundiibird - Alex - hatched 31/08/09
& Millie - BFA - hatched 29/10/14 & Willow - CAG - hatched 30/10/19
So sorry to hear that Amanda. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. :(

Dopey

Apr 18, 2014
Media
Maryland
I'm sorry about Sunny and I'm sure that your Grandma is missing him.
Enjoy the shopping trip and it won't hurt to put a down payment on your other bird while you are there. :D

4dugnlee

Apr 27, 2014
Ohio
Parrots
Sassy - 13 y.o. Blue Front Amazon, Cisco - 6 y.o. Sun Conure, Peanut - 8 y.o. U2
Fred - 2(?) y.o. Cockatiel, Ginger - 3 or 4(?) y.o. Cockatiel
Oh I'm so sorry! Thoughts and prayers your way! Maybe a new little parakeet for your grandma would still help...a little spot of sunshine in dark times.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Amanda, I'm so sorry about your grandma. My thoughts are with you and your family.

Dopey

Apr 18, 2014
Media
Maryland
It doesn't look like this will happen.

Very sad news...Grandma went to the hospital this morning, prognosis is... put her on Hospice and send her back home, make her as comfortable as possible. She is refusing to eat more than 2 to 3 bites a day! And she has paperwork that states no heroic measures so they can't force feed her or do much of anything except give her fluids/glucose and monitor.

I'm afraid she will not be with us much longer.
Amanda - I'm sorry - I missed this. Prayers are with you and your family.
Please keep us updated.

OP
Amanda_Bennett

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
Thank you all for the kind words, it really helps knowing you are all out there!

Grandma is back home. Hospice was there even though it was late and she was exhausted! I am confident she will get the best care they can provide and will keep in close contact wit my Mom and I regarding how she is doing day to day. It really is a comfort knowing someone will be visiting and helping with her care daily (more than the assisted living can provide), since between Mom and I we can only get there a few times a week. Mom is about 30 minutes and I am about an hour one way from her.

We are weighing the thought of getting her a new bird very carefully. I don't want to get her a bird and then have it not be cared for properly and have to take it away. That would break her heart even more after Sunny just passing a few days ago.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
I'm glad to hear your Grandma is back home where she will be more comfortable. It sounds like she has excellent caregivers. I think you and your mom are right to carefully consider a new bird before making the decision. I wish I could give you a hug, Amanda, such a difficult place to be in.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Thank you for the update, Amanda, and I too think it wise to consider the new bird carefully, with everything that is going on. I am hoping and praying that things will work out, and that you will be able to get her the new baby. Sending you big hugs.

Most Reactions

Latest posts