Moving away for school, what about my birds?

biggiecheese

Jan 4, 2023
Parrots
Red Lory (Eos Bornea)
Illiger's Macaw (Ara Maracana)
I am applying to university this spring and if I get in, I will be moving away to study for 3 years, and come home for holidays such as summer and winter.
I have two birds. One is a "special needs", he has had a concussion when he was small and he can occasionally "snap" and go into some crazy mode where he bites off his flight feathers. He is currently healthy and flies well without complications. He gets along with anyone in my family, vets, breeder, anyone goes. He's almost 2 and very sweet.
The other is a hyperactive little clown, a red lory male who just turned 2. He is my best friend and thinking about living without him sends me to tears every night. He is the type of bird who needs people to have a bit of patience and humor with him, but he is for real the sweetest guy ever once you bond with him.
My campus, and all other residence options nearby school, has told me they don't accept pets. I've tried to tell them they're well behaved quiet clean birds, but nothing has helped me to convince someone to let me move in with my birds near school.

So what came to my mind was to temporarily rehome them. I asked my parents and at first they said they will take care of the birds while I'm gone, but that suddenly changed a few weeks ago. Now I have the guy who raised them and I bought them from; him and his wife are so good with both of my birds. We have a big trust for each other, I care for their birds when they go away, they care for my birds when I go away. If I got to choose, I would ask them to care for my birds while I go studying. However, it feels as if I would be asking for too much.

So does anyone have any tips on what, where, how, I could find a good temporary home for my birds while I study? I never want to sell them, and I most definitely don't want them to end up in a home where they are misunderstood and mistreated while I am away.
Europe.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Your second option of having the breeder (?) care for them sounds like your best one, if you feel it is a hard ask of them, perhaps offering a boarding fee would help?

However, this is why we will always recommend prospective parrot owners wait until their education is completed. The scenario gets repeated so often on ParrotForums. Care of parrots is much like caring for toddlers, its a tough ask even for parents when this situation arises. I wish you good luck in college and all the best for your birdies.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I moved away from the dorms as quickly as possible because I really wanted my cockatiel with me.

Usually if you are a freshman you have to live in the dorms. But sophomores can live off campus. So maybe this separation won’t be so long.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I'm so sorry you are going through this, as Heather mentioned hopefully it won't be a really long separation.
I agree with Al about speaking with their breeders about it. It sounds like you have a good relationship with them, and may be able to work something out.
Best of luck to you, both in finding someone reliable to keep them while you're away and also with your studies.

OP
biggiecheese

biggiecheese

Jan 4, 2023
Parrots
Red Lory (Eos Bornea)
Illiger's Macaw (Ara Maracana)
Thank you to all who have contributed. I hope I will only live in campus my sophomore year too. Will talk with breeder as soon as I can get a hold of him. Him and his wife are absolutely amazing with my birds.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Thank you to all who have contributed. I hope I will only live in campus my sophomore year too. Will talk with breeder as soon as I can get a hold of him. Him and his wife are absolutely amazing with my birds.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they say yes. It will be so much easier for you knowing they are being loved and well cared for while you are away.
Please let us know what they say!

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they say yes. It will be so much easier for you knowing they are being loved and well cared for while you are away.
Please let us know what they say!
I am disappointed that you must live on campus for two years. Are you sure? Or is this something your parents want?

I really missed my bird when I was in the dorms so that’s what I’m thinking about, I guess.

Most Reactions

Latest posts