Moving to LA — looking for suggestions for where to live given my feather babies

EmilyTan630

Jul 9, 2023
Parrots
Budgie (Peppard) — 5 yr old recessive pied
Bourkes Parakeet (Cher) — 4 year old rubino
Hey everyone! Looking for some support/suggestions for people who live in the LA area. I’m currently living in Texas — moved from San Francisco where I was for 4 years (so was involved with the parrot community there). I want to move to LA in a few months but have no idea what the bird scene is there. Specifically, I’m concerned about housing given how noisy my budgie can be. Does anyone have any recommendations for neighborhoods or ways I can find bird friendly places to live? Or even LA bird communities so I could find a roomie, one who wouldn’t be bothered by the noise? Would super appreciate it 🙏🏻 thanks all!

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Los Angeles or Louisiana? 😅

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I guess if I was moving to the LA area proper (I live in the northern most part of LA county) I would want to move to an area the wild parrots frequent.

Not sure of the exact areas but I am thinking Torrance/Hawthorn.

Next on my must have close by would be one or more good Avian certified vets.

I guess I would want to stay a few miles from the ocean.
getting that moderating cool ocean breeze on the hottest days makes a big difference and now a days I don’t trust our electric grid if put to the test.

OP
E

EmilyTan630

Jul 9, 2023
Parrots
Budgie (Peppard) — 5 yr old recessive pied
Bourkes Parakeet (Cher) — 4 year old rubino
I guess if I was moving to the LA area proper (I live in the northern most part of LA county) I would want to move to an area the wild parrots frequent.

Not sure of the exact areas but I am thinking Torrance/Hawthorn.

Next on my must have close by would be one or more good Avian certified vets.

I guess I would want to stay a few miles from the ocean.
getting that moderating cool ocean breeze on the hottest days makes a big difference and now a days I don’t trust our electric grid if put to the test.
Definitely a good avian vet is a must. I had my go-to who was an absolute Angel (Dr. Luehman for anyone in the Bay Area!) but I figure I could drive anywhere for that. Definitely the living situation is stressing me out knowing many people are not tolerant of birds, even smaller ones

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
First choice for an parrot owner would have to be a disconnected house, preferably with land between houses. If you must move to an appartment, try to get either top of bottom floor, that way you only have 1 set of neighbors to complain about the birds. Older appts. are better, new builds use crap for walls.

WHy anyone would want to move to L.A. is a separate discussion! If it ain't burning, its gonna slide into the ocean! :oops::rolleyes:

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Hey everyone! Looking for some support/suggestions for people who live in the LA area. I’m currently living in Texas — moved from San Francisco where I wash for 4 years (so was involved with the parrot community there). I want to move to LA in a few months but have no idea what the bird scene is there. Specifically, I’m concerned about housing given how noisy my budgie can be. Does anyone have any recommendations for neighborhoods or ways I can find bird friendly places to live? Or even LA bird communities so I could find a roomie, one who wouldn’t be bothered by the noise? Would super appreciate it 🙏🏻 thanks all!
Lots of people in the LA area have parrots and there are excellent avian vets there, too. Your housing budget will largely determine where you're going to be able to live. I'm sure you're aware that rentals in LA are expensive.
If all you have are budgies, I can't see noise being a problem. Budgies don't make that much noise compared to most conures at least.
Dr Lavec at Wilshire Animal Hospital is an excellent CAV.

Most Reactions

Latest posts