My 5 month old ringneck

DarkMbs

Apr 18, 2018
So recently i traveled so i had my cousin take care of my parrot, my pareot really didnt mind being with my cousin.
So when i came back after 20 days i have noticed that my parrot has started to bite me for no reason and when he tries to bite me and i give my arm a little shake he tries to attack my face in return. He hardly lets me pet him now. But when his cage is open he trys to come to me after that he will go for my fingers and my arm.
So how can i make him go back to normal. And yea idk if this is related but he is growing new.feather like he is mostly busy removing the sort of plastic cover on the.tip of the feather.:green2::green1:

OP
D

DarkMbs

Apr 18, 2018
And side note i have had him since he was 3 weeks old

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Sometimes after long absences, a parrot will switch their 'favorite' and end up bonding with their new caretaker. Remember, they are not like dogs and cats that will want to cuddle and love you forever -- birds are very different, they are very intelligent.

It is quite possible your IRN had a great time with your cousin and didn't want to leave. So being back with you has probably brought on some confusion. For the time being, refrain from trying to touch him or forcing him to step up. Let him warm up to you again and give him time to adjust back to being with you.

If you make every single interaction with him a positive one (no grabbing, forcing or trying to stroke him unless he is asking for it), then he will in time be back to his old self. Birds bite for many reasons, and its important you respect his boundaries and listen to what he's trying to 'say'.

OP
D

DarkMbs

Apr 18, 2018
Stepping up is not a problem at all its like he is telling me that he whats to be with me as much as possible but doesnt wants me to touch him even if i don't touch him he goes for my feet and finger sometimes even the arm as well. And about like my cousin is well unlikely because he didnt really have my parrot with him most of the time and he was closed in the cage as well its not only me he is attacking if his nails get somewhat stuck for a second he will try to attack his leg as well he seems to be paranoid for some reason

Most Reactions

Latest posts