my amazon moving home

danish87

Oct 1, 2016
hi all im Dane im new to this site and wanting some help,

my parents have a amazon called joey he is roughly 20 years old and has always lived with us but the time as come for me to move into my own house and we have decided that joey will be coming yo live with me seen as he is closer to me and really make more of me.

im just wondering how i go about taking him to my new house and the best way to do it with least stress to him.

the new house is not even a 5 minute drive away so not far all just dont want to stress him too much.

thanks any help will be appreciated
thanks again Dane:green:

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Welcome.

Sounds like Joey is in for quite the adventure having lived in the same house for 20 years! Our BFA has moved 4 times with us in a little under 8 years (and who knows how many times before we adopted him). Does Joey go out and about much or is a bird who always stays at home? You may want to acclimate him to the car if he is not used to leaving the house before moving day. Get him in his carrier and take a short drive around the block, let him get used to being in the car in a non-tense situation (and moves are always tense). If you are moving locally, bring Joey and his cage over last trip/after everything else is moved in, if possible. If you will be moving a longer distance and only making one big trip, make sure to pack his cage last in the moving van. That way when you arrive, you can get it set up first thing so he can be in his safe and familiar cage while you bring everything else in. In my experience, our bird has been intrigued and excited by moving, but some birds may be frightened. If he is really distressed, you can half-cover his cage and put it in a quiet room while you move everything in.

After move day, you will have to judge if he is interested in his new home or seems apprehensive and disconcerted about the new surroundings. Our amazon is ever curious and he gets the 'tour' of new places pretty much as soon as we've had a chance to catch our breath. But for some birds, they will need some time to climate and may not want to come out of their cage for a few days and may take even longer to feel safe to explore. This boils down to individual personalities. One last thing, since he is used to living in a several member household and is not going to have as many people around, be sure you're setting aside enough time for him. He may also enjoy if you leave the TV or radio on for him when you aren't home since their won't be anyone around. Good luck with your move!

Edit: Wanted to add, on move day make sure he stays LOCKED in his carrier or cage, even if he is normally out of it a lot. All the excitement and activity and people not paying close attention to windows and doors is a very dangerous situation to have a loose parrot in. Our bird gets locked in his carrier first thing the morning of moves and stays in there until the last box is inside. Being cooped up all day is far better than him getting injured or getting lost.

Last edited:

Most Reactions