My bird Died

Rikulover

Jan 5, 2021
Hey guys just made my account to see what I did wrong he died on the 4 of January 2021, on the 4th of January he did his morning poop very strangely
for some reason, Riku did his poop very very small and it's usually very huge, I think he died of constipation my family is shaken by this tragedy he loved my dad very much I hope you could help me with this problem.
-Zunair, Riku's owner

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Albie - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure - Hatch date 14 Dec 2019 - Gotcha date - 4 March 2020
I have no explanations to offer you, only that I am so so sorry for your loss, my deepest sympathy and condolences.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Hello Zunair, welcome to the Forums, but I am so sorry for the very sad event that brought you here.

There are, unfortunately, any number of things that may have contributed to Riku's loss. Perhaps you could share some more information about him and his life, that may help our members figure out what might have happened, but ultimately it is very difficult to say exactly what may have occurred via a forum like this. As grim as it may sound, if you have preserved his body in the refrigerator (not the freezer) and you can get him to a certified avian vet within the next day or two, you may be able to have a necropsy performed to try to determine the cause. The following link may help you to find an avian vet if you didn't already know of one.....

https://www.aav.org/

It is a very sad fact that birds are extremely good at hiding illness from us, and by the time symptoms are noticeable it is often already too late. I'm so sorry that you and your family have suffered this loss and I offer you my deepest condolences.

Fly free to the Rainbow Bridge, sweet Riku, until we meet again.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
If your bird was straining to poop, it could have been a blockage or a stuck egg. I am very sorry for your loss...
I second the notion for a necroscopy, as it is important to know.
Poop that is small in size usually means that they are eating less, which can be due to a number of reasons.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
So sorry to read of this, my condolences. Parrots, like most prey birds, hide illness very well, and don't show symptoms often until it is too late for any care to help. So he likely did not die from constipation, but from something else's that only showed like that in the end. The only real way to know why he died is to have a necropsy done by an avian vet on his body. But his body should have been refridgerated immediately for that to be done.

PLEASE do some reading on cage cleaning and maintainance, and parrot nutrition and feeding, as a lot of parrot illnesses can result from these areas.

I really feel for you and family, I too lost a treasured parrot, suddenly with no warning or symptoms. Very sad.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome under the most tragic of circumstances, Zunair. Please accept my deepest condolences for your loss of Riku.

Birds tend to hide illnesses, so as others have suggested it may be very difficult to determine cause. Only a necropsy from skilled avian vet may provide answers.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Birds hide being sick, evolved this way to avoid flock kicking them out abd predators targeting them.

I myself lost a parrot this way, fed treats went outside came back and she was passed.

I'm pretty sure the small poop was from eating less. They will even go to the food bowl and pick up food and pretend to eat.

If your bird was a female egg binding, when an egg gets stuck can be an issue.

I'm so sorry you lost your freind. It hurts do much....

One day your love of parrots will lead you to a new freind. Its good practice to get a digital kitchen scale and weigh your bird weekly. Its one of our only ways to pick up if something is off. As well as looking at poops every day to see if smaller, or runny, or Cloudy, or color change. And feeding a healthy diet thst includes lots of fresh vegetables keeps the immune system strong.

I wish we could make it better. But we do share your love, and understand your loss.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Welcome, albeit under such sad circumstances. I would like to offer this thought... your baby died while loved and treasured and hold in your heart, and that is a gift into Eternity.
I'm glad you found us.

9lhIlM0.jpg

Most Reactions